Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

Santina's Story - Adopting a Rescue Macaw

Comment or discuss articles from the trained parrot blog.

Postby Michael » Mon Dec 30, 2013 3:11 pm

Article about Santina's origins, the adoption process, considerations, and coming home. Also a 10 minute video of the whole adoption process.
Michael
Macaw

Number of Birds Owned: 3
Types of Birds Owned: Senegal Parrot, Cape Parrot, Green-Winged Macaw
Flight: Yes

Re: Santina's Story - Adopting a Rescue Macaw

Postby MandyG » Mon Dec 30, 2013 5:04 pm

She's beautiful, Michael! Congratulations to both of you, she's very lucky to have you as her new owner!

Looks like a lot has changed. Hopefully I can find some time tonight to catch up on your blogs!
MandyG
Amazon

Number of Birds Owned: 1
Types of Birds Owned: Yellow Crowned Amazon

Postby 9Beaks » Tue Dec 31, 2013 12:26 am

What happened to the videos? And some of the pics are missing in the article. ( I'm checking this out on mobile devices). Can you help?
9Beaks
Parrotlet

Number of Birds Owned: 8
Types of Birds Owned: Green-cheek conures, Sun conures, Nanday conure, Senegal, and budgie

Postby scooter4n » Tue Dec 31, 2013 12:30 am

I am checking on the new article in the blog every day, LOL

I am so excited and looking forward to hear more news, just cant wait for another update.
Michael, think of doing live feed for your bird room and live stream it.
check out justin.tv or ustrem.tv that would be sick....

I would be your biggest fan :)))))

Keep up posted, looking forward, more photos and videos is better
scooter4n
Parrotlet

Number of Birds Owned: 1
Types of Birds Owned: Congo African Grey
Flight: No

Postby Michael » Tue Dec 31, 2013 1:43 am

9beaks, try on a desktop. I think youtube doesn't work on apple/mobile devices for some reason.
Michael
Macaw

Postby cml » Tue Dec 31, 2013 12:09 pm

Nice videos Michael!

Santina has quite the beak!

I was impressed that you didnt flinch from that "love bite", even if it was a struggle not to. Steve's handling suprised me as well, he readily put his hand around her beak, I would imagine that not to be the greatest of ideas with a panicking Macaw, such as Santina going into the carrier!

I really like how the bird room looks, we'll be wanting more photage when its all done :). Whats the plan, are you intending to house Kili and Truman there as well? Also, whats your idea on their interaction - supervised only? I guess Truman could stand up to Santina, at least a little, but Kili is another story...

Also, more pics of Santina!

Happy new year's eve!
Stitch (WFA) and Leroy (BWP)
cml
African Grey

Number of Birds Owned: 2
Types of Birds Owned: White fronted amazon, Bronze winged pionus

Postby Michael » Tue Dec 31, 2013 12:55 pm

Worst case scenario plan is that Santina moves to the big room and Kili/Truman get cages in the smaller cage room (where Santina presently is). That way I can also stick Santina in the cage room with the room itself being the cage and let Kili/Truman roam the big room.

Ideally though, I'd like to get Truman loose with Santina in the big room and Kili loose in the little room. This may work out because Truman's demeanor is more like Santina's. Not intentionally aggressive. If I sense that it is safe to leave the two of them unattended, then they can have the big room together. I know that there is no way I can leave Kili unattended with macaw cause she'll attack and then get hurt in return. Kili would be much happier having a room all to herself. Truman is nimble and flies well so I bet I can hang small things all over the ceiling and he'd be content hanging out up there while the macaw would stay low on the bigger stuff. They wouldn't even need to cross paths. Kili wouldn't be able to resist the temptation to attack.

Either way, I will still have cage for Kili & Truman. They were brought up that way and it's not too confining for them. If things go perfectly I'll leave the cage doors open in their respective rooms as it may work out. Santina is too big for a cage which is why the small 5x8ft room is her cage. Anything out there sold as "macaw cage" is pitiful and in my mind cruel. It's like keeping a cockatiel in a shoebox. I would never have gotten a macaw without the means to house it. I feel bad about there being little room to fly but that's a different thing I'm handling and you'll find out down the line.
Michael
Macaw

Postby purringparrot » Tue Jan 07, 2014 12:06 am

What a beauty of a bird! That is great that you got her acclimated to the carrier so quickly. I can't wait to see how her flight training goes. My husband, Patrick, will be ordering your book too. When you start your book tour again let us know if you decide to come out to San Diego because with enough notice I'm sure one of the rescue groups we network with, PEAC.org, would love to have you as a speaker. Tell Truman, his brother, Jupiter, says Hello!
purringparrot
Lovebird

Number of Birds Owned: 5
Types of Birds Owned: Congo grey, uncape parrot, bare-eyed cockatoo, bg macaw, gw macaw

Return to TrainedParrot.com - Parrot Training Blog Comments