Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

Santina's Initial Vet Check

Comment or discuss articles from the trained parrot blog.

Postby Michael » Fri Jan 03, 2014 4:57 pm

Article about Santina's first vet visit as well as the preparations and carrier training prior. Several videos of Santina at the vet including how avian Xrays are performed.
Michael
Macaw

Number of Birds Owned: 3
Types of Birds Owned: Senegal Parrot, Cape Parrot, Green-Winged Macaw
Flight: Yes

Re: Santina's Initial Vet Check

Postby sighthoundlover » Fri Jan 03, 2014 7:14 pm

Thank you so much for posting these videos of Santina!!! It is so interesting and fascinating to watch you transform a rescue macaw. I can't wait to see the next video!!!
sighthoundlover
Parrotlet

Number of Birds Owned: 1
Types of Birds Owned: Maximillian Pionus
Flight: No

Postby Pokerchix » Fri Jan 03, 2014 7:35 pm

This was great information. Thank you so much for posting and the videos are wonderful. Santina was awesome!
Pokerchix
Parakeet

Types of Birds Owned: Quaker Parrot

Postby Weka » Sat Jan 04, 2014 2:04 pm

Yes, thanks for taking the time to post these videos. Very helpful to us parrot-owners-to-be! Hopefully Skeeter will get a bill of health as good as Santina's when he goes to the avian vet next week. It's a bit frustrating that we won't have as much time to teach him to step willingly into the carrier (less than 72 hrs) but we'll definitely look into de-sensitization training once he's settled into his new home.

Best,

Weka
She was not quite what you would call refined. She was not quite what you would call unrefined. She was the kind of person that keeps a parrot. -- Mark Twain

Providing a forever home for Skeeter, an 11-year-old male red bellied. :redbelly:
Weka
Conure

Types of Birds Owned: Red-Bellied Parrot

Postby Wayne361 » Sat Jan 04, 2014 5:41 pm

If my Avian vet looked anything like her Oscar would be going in weekly :) All kinda joking aside, great videos and write-up. Seems your new addition had a good background and good times ahead....

Wayne
Wayne361
Conure

Types of Birds Owned: Senegal Parrot

Postby Nokota » Fri Jan 10, 2014 11:34 am

Yaaaay Santina! She's so sweet!

I WISH we had an avian vet in our area, but since the nearest one is two hours away and costs and arm and a leg, vet checkups for Vivi and Peeper are on a "We already found a problem" basis, unfortunately. It's my parents call. They can't afford it. :(

I've never actually seen any of this stuff done. I just trim my birds nails with regular human nail clippers. Vivi lies on her back in my hand while I do it without complaint, but keeps moving her feet and gives me a headache. I have to catch Peeper, but he doesn't move his feet on me. :)

Santina is a beautiful bird. I hope that some day I have the time and space to devote to a large parrot myself. Heart is set on an umbrella cockatoo. <3
Nokota
Lovebird

Number of Birds Owned: 2
Types of Birds Owned: Cockatiel, Budgie

Return to TrainedParrot.com - Parrot Training Blog Comments