Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

Dancing Green-Winged Macaw

Comment or discuss articles from the trained parrot blog.

Postby Michael » Mon Jan 13, 2014 10:04 pm

Update on Santina's first 3 weeks and her very first music video! Can't miss this sweet dancing macaw!
Michael
Macaw

Number of Birds Owned: 3
Types of Birds Owned: Senegal Parrot, Cape Parrot, Green-Winged Macaw
Flight: Yes

Re: Dancing Green-Winged Macaw

Postby Dbeguy » Tue Jan 14, 2014 4:45 pm

This REALLY made me smile Santina seems so happy. She's so lucky to have you Michael

I was wondering a couple of things though:
How do you tell the difference between nervous head-bobbing & happy head bobbing?
Is that your niece in the video?
Do you expect any problems with integrating Santina into your flock when her quarantine is done?

Cheers!
Dbeguy
Cockatiel

Number of Birds Owned: 0
Types of Birds Owned: none yet

Postby Michael » Tue Jan 14, 2014 8:26 pm

The difference between nervous head bobbing or happy head bobbing, aggressive eye pinning or happy eye pinning, etc comes down to whether you get nailed at the end of it! It's excitement behavior and the context is evaluated by consequence. It's hard to tell a super happy from a super pissed bird apart. There may be some lunging and beak throwing in addition to show the more aggressive type.

That's my little sister. And I have no idea about the integration. I suspect Santina and Truman will get along. I'm too afraid Kili will try to bully Santina and then get killed so I gotta keep them apart. We'll see. I've got other issues to resolve before that happens.
Michael
Macaw

Postby Dbeguy » Wed Jan 15, 2014 12:59 pm

Michael wrote: I suspect Santina and Truman will get along. I'm too afraid Kili will try to bully Santina and then get killed so I gotta keep them apart. We'll see. I've got other issues to resolve before that happens.

I do have hopeful news on this point. According to the video below (jump to 45:00) parrot fights are essentially bluster because they can't afford to be injured. I'm always wary of "experts" on the internet (Obviously you've passed the test ;) ), but several members of the audience support this assertion, saying that: it sounds like they're going to kill each other but no injuries come about.

Dbeguy
Cockatiel

Types of Birds Owned: none yet

Postby Michael » Wed Jan 15, 2014 2:40 pm

What a load of bullshit. I know birds that have had entire feet ripped off, beaks torn off, and other massive injuries. While many species of parrots get along and don't fight hard, there are others that fight to the death. Amazonas, Poicephalus, Melopsytacus have been known to inflict death or major injuries.

The danger is that Santina is like 10 times bigger than Kili. It doesn't matter what the intention is, if she throws one bite at her, that could be fatal or cause a serious injury. So it's not a simple thing. These are species not only differing in size but also by continent, climate, and lifestyle.

PS I wouldn't put an ounce of weight on anything this woman says. I just jumped to a random point on the video and heard her say "You have a bird on your arm, they can feel your pulse. And they will know where you sit. They will know if you are upset, stressed, excited." She's just making this up. Nobody can genuinely know what the bird knows and to claim to know is crazy. Obviously she hasn't experienced aggressive parrots that want to kill each other and she likes to make up what the parrot is thinking.
Michael
Macaw

Postby Greencheek13653 » Wed Aug 13, 2014 10:06 pm

Michael wrote:What a load of bullshit. I know birds that have had entire feet ripped off, beaks torn off, and other massive injuries. While many species of parrots get along and don't fight hard, there are others that fight to the death. Amazonas, Poicephalus, Melopsytacus have been known to inflict death or major injuries.

The danger is that Santina is like 10 times bigger than Kili. It doesn't matter what the intention is, if she throws one bite at her, that could be fatal or cause a serious injury. So it's not a simple thing. These are species not only differing in size but also by continent, climate, and lifestyle.

PS I wouldn't put an ounce of weight on anything this woman says. I just jumped to a random point on the video and heard her say "You have a bird on your arm, they can feel your pulse. And they will know where you sit. They will know if you are upset, stressed, excited." She's just making this up. Nobody can genuinely know what the bird knows and to claim to know is crazy. Obviously she hasn't experienced aggressive parrots that want to kill each other and she likes to make up what the parrot is thinking.

Potty mouth
Greencheek13653
Parrotlet

Return to TrainedParrot.com - Parrot Training Blog Comments