Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

Truman's Terrible Twos

Comment or discuss articles from the trained parrot blog.

Truman's Terrible Twos

Postby Michael » Sat Jan 25, 2014 3:44 pm

Truman's Terrible Twos

In his case more like twos and threes... Truman is finally coming out of adolescence which sheds more light on his previous behavior. Check out how he's doing now and what we can learn from this.
Michael
Macaw

Number of Birds Owned: 3
Types of Birds Owned: Senegal Parrot, Cape Parrot, Green-Winged Macaw
Flight: Yes

Re: Truman's Terrible Twos

Postby 9Beaks » Sun Jan 26, 2014 3:42 pm

Excellent article on behavior in bird adolescence! I have a terrible feeling that many bird owners get rid of their birds during this time because they don't realize the stage will pass. I've had people tell me their birdy was so sweet when it was a baby, then it grew up and was no longer any fun to be around, so they got rid of it. I'm glad you wrote of your "terrible twos" experience with Truman so that others will know to be loving and patient with their young bird, as this will pass soon enough!
9Beaks
Parrotlet

Number of Birds Owned: 8
Types of Birds Owned: Green-cheek conures, Sun conures, Nanday conure, Senegal, and budgie

Postby rio » Tue Jan 28, 2014 11:12 am

This article was very comforting. Rio is lovebird who is two and a half years old. He has never been cuddly, and I don't know if he ever will be. He is so hyperactive and busy, he just has never had the disposition to be cuddly. However, he has always stepped up, first on a stick, then on my finger. He's always wanted to hang out, do tricks. He learns tricks really quickly and has been eager to play doing his tricks. Now he hides in his box. He does not want to have anything to do with stepping up to come out of his cage etc. At least now I understand what is going on. He has also started humping things and putting sticks in his wings. Ahh! adolescence! If he cowers in his cage and won't come out even with the promise of millet, should I take his food away for 3 hours and try till he comes out on his own? It's been suggested to never chase him, or grab him against his will right? He has to want to come out?
rio
Parakeet

Number of Birds Owned: 1
Types of Birds Owned: Lovebird
Flight: No

Postby Nokota » Tue Jan 28, 2014 10:41 pm

Michael: Any word on how long this is expected to last in Cockatiels? Vivi is at a little over one year and she's driving me bananas.
Vivi :pied: and Peeper :budgie:
My babies
Nokota
Lovebird

Number of Birds Owned: 2
Types of Birds Owned: Cockatiel, Budgie

Postby Karenbachman » Wed Apr 08, 2020 3:47 pm

Hello Michael - I have a poicephalus (brown-headed African parrot) who turns two in May 2020. I think he is starting his terrible twos. How long did it last for your poicephalus/Killi. I believe Killi is very similar to a brown-headed.

Thx!!!
Karenbachman
Parakeet

Number of Birds Owned: 21
Types of Birds Owned: Brown-headed African parrot (hatched May 19, 2019)
Owl Finch
Gouldians
Society Finch

Postby Michael » Thu Apr 09, 2020 1:38 pm

It lasts longer in bigger birds, shorter in smaller. I'd say Kili was in that phase from about 1.5-2.5 years old. The Blue and Gold Macaw lasted as long as from 2-6 years old.
Michael
Macaw

Number of Birds Owned: 3
Types of Birds Owned: Senegal Parrot, Cape Parrot, Green-Winged Macaw

Postby Pajarita » Fri Apr 10, 2020 9:24 am

Michael is 100% correct. What people normally call 'the terrible twos' doesn't happen at two years of age for all species and it doesn't necessarily last just one year, either (this is one of those things that people start saying and other people repeat but which is not really correct). The period varies with the species because it's puberty. It starts when the bird starts producing sexual hormones and it ends when it becomes completely sexually mature and that's why it lasts much longer in larger species than it does with small ones.
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Number of Birds Owned: 30
Types of Birds Owned: RoseBreasted too, CAG, DoubleYellowHead Amazon, BlueFront Amazon, YellowNape Amazon, Senegal, African Redbelly, Quaker, Sun Conure, Nanday, BlackCap Caique, WhiteBelly Caique, PeachFace lovebird, budgies,

Return to TrainedParrot.com - Parrot Training Blog Comments