Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

Preparing Parrots for Your Absence

Comment or discuss articles from the trained parrot blog.

Postby Michael » Thu Feb 27, 2014 1:38 pm

I'm in Baghdad, my birds are at home. Here's a special edition of the Trained Parrot blog from the other side of the world about how to prepare parrots for your absence.
Michael
Macaw

Number of Birds Owned: 3
Types of Birds Owned: Senegal Parrot, Cape Parrot, Green-Winged Macaw
Flight: Yes

Re: Preparing Parrots for Your Absence

Postby sighthoundlover » Thu Feb 27, 2014 2:27 pm

Michael,
Thank you so much for this post. I have a 9 year old Maximillian Pionus that I adopted 2 years ago and although I have taken two short trips to New York in that time where I left him for 4 or 5 days at a time, this time (in May) I plan to go to Italy for 17 days. I have been worried what he will be thinking and how he will adapt during what will be the longest separation we have had. I work 5 days a week so he is used to me coming and going during the week and then leaving to run errands on weekends (although he lets me know he doesn't like it when I go out on weekends and shows me by puffing up and spreading his tail :-). I have to say though that when I returned home from the last trip, I felt he was extremely happy to see me - although it might have been projection :-). In the past I have had a young girl well-versed in all thing parrot take care of him in my home but unfortunately or fortunately as the case may be, she is getting married and taking a honeymoon at the exact time of my vacation. This time I will board him at my vet's office. He's never been boarded there before - another concern I have. I even thought that maybe I should put him there for a weekend in March and one in April just so he knows I come back to get him from there and he isn't there permanently. These things concern me because I am his third owner and he has a forever home with me and I want him to feel and know that. Any comments, advice or additional suggestions you have would be greatly appreciated. What on earth are you doing in Iraq? :-)
sighthoundlover
Parrotlet

Number of Birds Owned: 1
Types of Birds Owned: Maximillian Pionus
Flight: No

Postby Michael » Thu Feb 27, 2014 2:54 pm

Part of my approach is just not to worry too much. I don't treat my birds like babies. I give them the benefit of the doubt that they can handle things. By having such an attitude, they get the opportunity to learn to handle things and it works out. I think the more dangerous attitude is the "oh my parrot will be too upset if I go away for a few days so I don't." That's the kind of parrot that does not learn to deal with things and probably can't handle it. I'm gonna have another post soon with some more info.
Michael
Macaw

Types of Birds Owned: Senegal Parrot, Cape Parrot, Green-Winged Macaw

Postby ginger » Thu Feb 27, 2014 3:50 pm

SightHoundLover...

One thing I'd like to mention about leaving a bird for so many days is that it might be easier on you, and the bird, is if you prepare him for boarding. Here is a way that I advise my adopters... Take your bird in and board him overnight. Then wait a week and do it again, but this time leave him two days. For an extended period, like the one you are planning, I would recommend another stay for a few days (maybe three) and that should do it. I know it can be an additional expense for you, but I know that this does work well for many owners and their birds.

Another thing is to bring something that is familiar to your bird, like a toy that he likes. Unless, of course, you are boarding him with his cage.

I know that Michael thinks I baby my birds, and maybe I do, but I just think that by preparing them in this way it helps them for the future. Then, if you need to board them in an emergency for some reason, they will already understand the routine. It is just another thing that you can do to help you bird become accustomed to things outside his small comfort level.

Oh, and Michael, of course this was a great article. You always do such a great job. But in this case it was awesome because you mentioned me. ;)
ginger
Conure

Number of Birds Owned: 9
Types of Birds Owned: 1 Congo African Grey, 8 Senegals, 1 Bare-eyed Cockatoo,
lots of cockatiels, 2 lovebirds, and a few parakeets. :)

Postby sighthoundlover » Fri Feb 28, 2014 7:30 pm

Thank you Ginger. That's just what I had been thinking. Maybe board him at the vet's for 2 or 3 days and then the following month, board him again for 3 or 4 days. Then, in May, board him during my actual 17 day trip. It is an added expense but I think it would allow him to adapt to the change and see that I return. It's my first long trip since I've had him and this is all probably more for my peace of mind than anything else - our pet children are probably a lot more resilient than we give them credit for. In any case, I appreciate the suggestion!! Thank you!!
sighthoundlover
Parrotlet

Postby Yoven » Sat Mar 01, 2014 10:47 am

Hey buddy, i understand what kind of bird u want, that is popular in iraq and kuwait, but you can also find its in kuwait, idk wht the bird called yet, but that bird get friendly with you in less then weeks...
but he's not clever like the parrot family, yet he can fly to you, he loves you, and cute!
but boring...and that i have it at home :) but i just cannot train that bird!! :( ---> :greycockatiel:
(not the ones i was talking about on top of my subject)
Yoven
Parakeet

Types of Birds Owned: I still idk what its called...

Postby sighthoundlover » Mon Mar 10, 2014 5:19 am

Today I am taking my Pionus Verdi to the vet's for boarding for 2 days as part of the preparation for my Italy trip in May. For anyone who's interested, I'll post here to say how it went after I pick him up on Wednesday.
sighthoundlover
Parrotlet

Postby ginger » Mon Mar 10, 2014 3:07 pm

I'm interested. I'd love to know how things are going. Keep me posted.
ginger
Conure

Number of Birds Owned: 9
Types of Birds Owned: 1 Congo African Grey, 8 Senegals, 1 Bare-eyed Cockatoo,
lots of cockatiels, 2 lovebirds, and a few parakeets. :)

Postby sighthoundlover » Sat Mar 15, 2014 7:15 am

I boarded Verdi (my Pionus) at the vet's on Monday and picked him up on Wednesday afternoon around 4:30 PM. When he saw me and heard my voice he immediately got excited. I opened the cage door, petted and kissed him excessively, he got on my shoulder, looked at me and said "I love you!". Now you can't get any better than that :-)!! It was a very successful board and everything was completely back to normal at home. I plan to do this again in April - not sure if I'll do the same 2 days or extend it a little longer (my May trip will be for 17 days). I'll post again after the April board.
sighthoundlover
Parrotlet

Return to TrainedParrot.com - Parrot Training Blog Comments