Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

Bird Toss Trick

Comment or discuss articles from the trained parrot blog.

Re: Bird Toss Trick

Postby liz » Sat Apr 04, 2015 8:24 am

My Amazons are not normal, probably because I did not have knowledge of the bigger parrots before Rambo came to me. He taught me that he was 5 year old kid. I treated him like a kid and he was happy. Myrtle came to me as a war orphan so I treated her that way. She is now very well adjusted.
My way of dealing with them is the same as I would a 5 year old boy and a 2 year old girl. There are things I do with them that I would never put in the forum. I just don't want anyone else to try them.
liz
Macaw

Number of Birds Owned: 12
Types of Birds Owned: DYH Amazon Rambo
BF Amazon Myrtle
Cockatiels: Shadow Tammy Flutter Phoenix Jackie
Andy Impy Louise Twila Leroy
Flight: Yes

Postby Pajarita » Sat Apr 04, 2015 2:05 pm

Michael wrote:I see no harm in showing people bird tricks and inspiring them to be more involved with their birds. Considering how many birds are stuck at rescues or get dumped by bored people, inspiring interaction, training, love, and passion is what the bird community needs most. Just telling people not to even get birds in the first place hasn't been working out too well now has it?

Michael, even tricks become boring after you've done/seen them a thousand times. And you don't show any love for the bird when you toss it like a ball up in the air... What people need to be taught is respect for their birds, that they are not mere objects of entertainment, that they are sentient beings with feelings, needs and desires.
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Number of Birds Owned: 30
Types of Birds Owned: RoseBreasted too, CAG, DoubleYellowHead Amazon, BlueFront Amazon, YellowNape Amazon, Senegal, African Redbelly, Quaker, Sun Conure, Nanday, BlackCap Caique, WhiteBelly Caique, PeachFace lovebird, budgies,

Postby liz » Sat Apr 04, 2015 7:47 pm

RIGHT
liz
Macaw

Number of Birds Owned: 12
Types of Birds Owned: DYH Amazon Rambo
BF Amazon Myrtle
Cockatiels: Shadow Tammy Flutter Phoenix Jackie
Andy Impy Louise Twila Leroy

Postby marie83 » Mon Apr 06, 2015 10:48 am

Michael wrote:It really just doesn't work that way.....

....Go ahead, toss your (flighted) bird and you will aee they can flap out of it just fine. The only situation I have seen birds actually fall is when they get in a fight with each other. And even then they cushion te impact with some flapping.

So despite my example your still saying it isn't possible for an accident to happen purely because you haven't seen it with your own eyes? For extra info he was an excellent flier and in good health.
Anyway I'm in agreement with pajarita (for this "trick") and I can't see that Kili would actually enjoy the trick but merely tolerating it. I'm not against trick training as I do believe it can enrich the birds life if done right but it should be enjoyable for both parties. I can see other people attempting it and totally ruining the birds trust.
marie83
Cockatoo

Number of Birds Owned: 2
Types of Birds Owned: Yellow sided Green Cheek Conure
Pineapple Green Cheek Conure

Previous

Return to TrainedParrot.com - Parrot Training Blog Comments