Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

new parrotlet

Comment or discuss articles from the trained parrot blog.

new parrotlet

Postby louisblue » Thu May 28, 2015 2:39 pm

hello, i was wondering if anybody could help me and give advise? i had gotten a blue parrotlet about 2 and half months ago from a breeder , and i can tell you i have not been able to touch him ,when he was with the breeder she would hold him and still seemed skiddish...i have tried millet to see if he would let me touch him and no way is he having that ,i do know you have to give them time, but the other birds she had been selling all seem to be tame when i see them post pics to her web site with there new owners ...i am so sad i really want a companion.is there hope because if i wanted a bird to just look at i would of went to petsmart! please help
louisblue
Parakeet

Number of Birds Owned: 1
Types of Birds Owned: parrotlet
Flight: No

Re: new parrotlet

Postby liz » Thu May 28, 2015 4:05 pm

Welcome to the forum.
Don't reach in his cage. Parrot proof a room and open the cage door. He will come out when he is feeling secure.
They are not wild and need tamed. They are scared and need reassurance and respect.
liz
Macaw

Number of Birds Owned: 12
Types of Birds Owned: DYH Amazon Rambo
BF Amazon Myrtle
Cockatiels: Shadow Tammy Flutter Phoenix Jackie
Andy Impy Louise Twila Leroy
Flight: Yes

Re: new parrotlet

Postby Wolf » Thu May 28, 2015 8:30 pm

Did they tell you what species of parrotlet this color mutation is? I would think that it might be a pacific Parrotlet as they are the most common but it could be another species. Parrots of any species are not push button they are very intelligent creatures and they require a lot of time and patience. You can't touch the bird because it does not trust you. How much time do you spend talking to the bird daily? Give me a rundown of the parrotlets day from the time it gets up in the morning until it goes to bed at night. Please be as detailed as possible. Do you have other animals in the home? Place the cage so that the birds normal perch is head high.
Wolf
Macaw

Number of Birds Owned: 6
Types of Birds Owned: Senegal
African Grey (CAG)
Yellow Naped Amazon
2Celestial Parrotlet
Budgie
Flight: Yes

Return to TrainedParrot.com - Parrot Training Blog Comments