Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

Aviator Harness with a Handicap?

Comment or discuss articles from the trained parrot blog.

Postby Michael » Wed Apr 20, 2016 9:41 pm

I was asked if it is possible to put a harness on a parrot with one hand so I decided to find out. Video of me putting an Aviator Harness on a Macaw using just one hand. Article with encouragement and tips for anyone with a handicap or disability or just having trouble training their parrot.
Michael
Macaw

Number of Birds Owned: 3
Types of Birds Owned: Senegal Parrot, Cape Parrot, Green-Winged Macaw
Flight: Yes

Re: Aviator Harness with a Handicap?

Postby rorobrowne » Tue Jun 07, 2016 11:28 pm

Hi, I am new on your blog. I am 15 years old and in a wheelchair, and i am looking to rescue a parrot. I have limited hand mobility but perfect arm mobility. I also have no leg movement. I live in Nassau County NY. Do you think it is a possibility for me to own a parrot. I am very enthusiastic about this topic. Thanks!!!! :macaw: :macaw: :cockatoo: :cockatoo: :gray: :gray:
rorobrowne
Parakeet

Number of Birds Owned: 0
Flight: No

Re: Aviator Harness with a Handicap?

Postby Wolf » Wed Jun 08, 2016 5:35 am

Would it be possible for you to have a parrot? Yes, it would. That is the short answer.

Now, I would suggest that you examine why you would want a parrot for a companion animal. Parrots are loud and destructive, they bite and are not predisposed to following orders or commands and their medical bill are expensive. Some of them will outlive you and they never grow up, in that they are like having the same child of between 4 to 6 years old for 50 to 80 years.

What I am trying to say is that we are easily impressed by what these birds can do, but we rarely are informed about the things that they do that we don't want them to do, and most of these things are natural behaviors that we must accept and live with as they can't be trained out of them. Parrots are not the best choice for a pet. I just think you need to do your homework and look at both sides of the coin before acting as there are reasons that there are so many in rescues.
Wolf
Macaw

Number of Birds Owned: 6
Types of Birds Owned: Senegal
African Grey (CAG)
Yellow Naped Amazon
2Celestial Parrotlet
Budgie
Flight: Yes

Return to TrainedParrot.com - Parrot Training Blog Comments