Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

Rehoming Santina Green-Winged Macaw

Comment or discuss articles from the trained parrot blog.

Postby Michael » Fri Sep 02, 2016 9:17 pm

Full story about how and why I ended up adopting out Santina. Pictures and video of the entire adoption process. Long video and long story so please view with patience.
Michael
Macaw

Number of Birds Owned: 3
Types of Birds Owned: Senegal Parrot, Cape Parrot, Green-Winged Macaw
Flight: Yes

Re: Rehoming Santina Green-Winged Macaw

Postby seagoatdeb » Sat Sep 03, 2016 2:27 am

I am glad you were able to have such a good rehome for Santina. Sounds like it will be the best for every being involved.
seagoatdeb
African Grey

Number of Birds Owned: 2
Types of Birds Owned: Red Belly Poicephalus and a Meyers Poicephalus

Postby Bushra » Sat Sep 03, 2016 7:28 am

We wish all the best for Santina and Lori. I feel sad for Santina in one side. She really had a deep bound with Michael. I am sure Lori will do her best, but the dogs frighten me a bit. Also dogs and Santina all needs care and attention, Santina's situation now still not one person-one bird. Hopefully Lori will handle all very good.
Bushra
Parakeet

Types of Birds Owned: Jenday Conure
Orange Winged Amazon
Flight: No

Postby ParrotsForLife » Sat Sep 03, 2016 8:05 pm

I watched your video and had a read through that.I had no idea you had to go through all that and I was wondering why you weren't uploading much videos.
ParrotsForLife
African Grey

Number of Birds Owned: 5
Types of Birds Owned: Rocko and Loki, Cockatiels
Mango, Plum headed parakeet
Tiko, African grey, Oscar, BFA

Postby Navre » Sun Sep 04, 2016 11:30 am

I wonder if stress from being uncomfortable around other birds could have been contributing to her repeated infections?

It's always sad when a bird has to be rehomed, but it looks like you did what was best for her. Time will tell, I guess. I hope everyone ends up healthier now.

I shared the video with a few people who knew Santina when she was Santino. They're all glad she is doing well. Santino was before my time, but I know I miss and remember all the birds for whom I helped care.
Navre
African Grey

Types of Birds Owned: Turquoise Green Cheek Conure
Hooded Parrot

Postby Michael » Sun Sep 04, 2016 3:10 pm

Navre wrote:I wonder if stress from being uncomfortable around other birds could have been contributing to her repeated infections?

It is possible and something we have considered. The worst she had been was around the time Marianna/Rachel were introduced. It wasn't until she was isolated that she was starting to do better but she was being shortchanged on time because attention had to be divided four ways. Just can't be sure if it was a factor or a coincidence.
Michael
Macaw

Number of Birds Owned: 3
Types of Birds Owned: Senegal Parrot, Cape Parrot, Green-Winged Macaw

Postby seagoatdeb » Sun Sep 04, 2016 8:08 pm

Gaugan my Red Belly does best with another parrot around who accepts her as the bossy little being she is, otherwise she overbonds to me and is nasty to everyone else. Having Sunny the Meyers around keeps her busy making sure she has a strong bond with the whole household, and she is happier that way. Since they are cousin species they have similar body language and can understand each other easily. I have such a happy household of everyone getting along right now I am very hesitant to add another.
seagoatdeb
African Grey

Types of Birds Owned: Red Belly Poicephalus and a Meyers Poicephalus

Postby Pajarita » Mon Sep 05, 2016 11:20 am

The large species all need to have their own human and sharing him/her is stressful to them so I am sure that Santina will do much better now with her own human in attendance all the time.

I am sorry you had to rehome her, Michael, but, sometimes, we are just a stop in their lives. I am surprised the rescue where you adopted her did not have a clause on their contract forcing you to return her to them though - it seems to be a default clause in all adoption contracts nowadays.
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Number of Birds Owned: 30
Types of Birds Owned: RoseBreasted too, CAG, DoubleYellowHead Amazon, BlueFront Amazon, YellowNape Amazon, Senegal, African Redbelly, Quaker, Sun Conure, Nanday, BlackCap Caique, WhiteBelly Caique, PeachFace lovebird, budgies,

Return to TrainedParrot.com - Parrot Training Blog Comments