Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

The Gabriel Foundation

Comment or discuss articles from the trained parrot blog.

The Gabriel Foundation

Postby Michael » Thu May 11, 2017 8:39 pm

The Gabriel Foundation

I visited the Gabriel Foundation near Denver. This article is about the great job that this Parrot Rescue/Sanctuary is doing and how it can be a role model for others. Includes a video of my tour of the facility.
Michael
Macaw

Number of Birds Owned: 3
Types of Birds Owned: Senegal Parrot, Cape Parrot, Green-Winged Macaw
Flight: Yes

Re: The Gabriel Foundation

Postby Pajarita » Fri May 12, 2017 11:55 am

Oh, so they now do have all weather outdoor aviaries for their birds?! That's great! Because the lack of flight rooms or aviaries for the winter months added to the obvious crowding (one cage next to the other) caused aggression between the birds to the point that they were not allowed to come out for, sometimes, months at a time; the high price they asked for the birds (it used to be $100 for a budgie!); and the never 100% confirmed but VERY damaging rumor (I know somebody who worked there for years) that Julie gave relinquished birds to be used as breeders to a personal friend of hers who had a bird mill in Florida (she was or still is an avian vet who, upon her divorce from her husband, was discovered to have been running an outdoor baby parrot mill when she had to auction over 400 pairs of breeding birds -in real bad shape, I might add!- to 'split the assets') were things that turned me off this rescue completely. There was also the rumor that this was a front for laundering mob money but, personally (and I know this is wrong!), I don't care if this is true or not as long as they do well by the birds. I do question their taking in sooooo many birds when they obviously don't have the room, enough volunteers or a good turnabout for them - I always fear that the very large rescues with hundreds of birds will end up as another Coombs situation sooner or later...
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Number of Birds Owned: 30
Types of Birds Owned: RoseBreasted too, CAG, DoubleYellowHead Amazon, BlueFront Amazon, YellowNape Amazon, Senegal, African Redbelly, Quaker, Sun Conure, Nanday, BlackCap Caique, WhiteBelly Caique, PeachFace lovebird, budgies,

Postby stevesjk » Sat May 13, 2017 6:04 am

I agree, i cringe when i see a rescuer with 100's of birds because its a disaster waiting to happen.

You often hear of couple run rescues where the one is dedicated and the partner just goes along with it to keep the other one happy then the dedicated one dies and the partner sells all the birds.
stevesjk
Conure

Number of Birds Owned: 2
Types of Birds Owned: Senegal parrot budgie

Postby Pajarita » Sat May 13, 2017 12:11 pm

Yes, that happens but the 'dedicated' individual getting old or retiring is another reason why the large ones go down. All it takes is for the person who manages it to be unable to do it for whatever reason and the whole thing ends up badly because nobody can really cope with an influx of hundreds of birds all at once...
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Number of Birds Owned: 30
Types of Birds Owned: RoseBreasted too, CAG, DoubleYellowHead Amazon, BlueFront Amazon, YellowNape Amazon, Senegal, African Redbelly, Quaker, Sun Conure, Nanday, BlackCap Caique, WhiteBelly Caique, PeachFace lovebird, budgies,

Return to TrainedParrot.com - Parrot Training Blog Comments