Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

Parrot Hearing

Comment or discuss articles from the trained parrot blog.

Parrot Hearing

Postby Michael » Thu Jan 18, 2018 5:53 pm

Parrot Hearing

An article about whether or not parrots have sensitive hearing, how their ears work, and how they hear. Includes photos and video.
Michael
Macaw

Number of Birds Owned: 3
Types of Birds Owned: Senegal Parrot, Cape Parrot, Green-Winged Macaw
Flight: Yes

Re: Parrot Hearing

Postby Pajarita » Fri Jan 19, 2018 10:38 am

Thank you! That was very informative and interesting! I would have liked the chart to include psittaformes but, as we all know, there are not enough studies done on them...
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Number of Birds Owned: 30
Types of Birds Owned: RoseBreasted too, CAG, DoubleYellowHead Amazon, BlueFront Amazon, YellowNape Amazon, Senegal, African Redbelly, Quaker, Sun Conure, Nanday, BlackCap Caique, WhiteBelly Caique, PeachFace lovebird, budgies,

Postby Michael » Fri Jan 19, 2018 5:36 pm

I did include frequency response cited from a different chart that did reference cockatiels and budgies. The differences between them were slight and close enough to other (non-owl) birds to lead to the conclusion that most bird related stats are representative across the spectrum. Click the source links for more info but my article summed it up for what parrot owners need to know.
Michael
Macaw

Postby HHH25 » Tue Feb 12, 2019 10:19 pm

I think this article and video needs more information about bird hearing such as they can discern more notes per second. We may only hear one note while they hear more. Here is an article with some detail. There is more to hearing than just frequencies and volume. https://www.earthlife.net/birds/hearing.html
HHH25
Parakeet

Number of Birds Owned: 6
Types of Birds Owned: Caique, Conures, cockatiels

Postby Michael » Wed Feb 13, 2019 9:41 am

HHH25 wrote:I think this article and video needs more information about bird hearing such as they can discern more notes per second. We may only hear one note while they hear more. Here is an article with some detail. There is more to hearing than just frequencies and volume. https://www.earthlife.net/birds/hearing.html

That is interesting but I think it has more to do with perception than actual ears and hearing. Birds see visually in more frames per second as well. Basically they run a faster clock and they can perceive more sights and sounds in a second than humans. Probably more thoughts as well. The smaller the parrot, the quicker this seems to be. That's why it's harder keeping up with a budgie than a macaw.
Michael
Macaw

Postby Pajarita » Sun Feb 17, 2019 12:02 pm

Correct. It's like if they saw and heard in slow motion - which, of course is not a good comparison except as an example of the difference between mammals and birds hearing and sight because they can distinguish 'frames' in real speed that we would need slow motion to figure out. To make a long story short, they have better sight and hearing than we do because their brains can figure out what they are hearing and seeing much faster than we can.
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Number of Birds Owned: 30
Types of Birds Owned: RoseBreasted too, CAG, DoubleYellowHead Amazon, BlueFront Amazon, YellowNape Amazon, Senegal, African Redbelly, Quaker, Sun Conure, Nanday, BlackCap Caique, WhiteBelly Caique, PeachFace lovebird, budgies,

Return to TrainedParrot.com - Parrot Training Blog Comments