Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

My Conure will not use a new tent

Comment or discuss articles from the trained parrot blog.

My Conure will not use a new tent

Postby Chickbird » Sat Feb 03, 2018 5:09 pm

My Blue Crown Conure refuses to use a new tent. I have purchased several tents and tried to match interior and exterior colors and patterns, but she will not go in them. I left one tent in for 3 days...no luck. When I put the old tattered tent back she crawls right into it. Does anyone know how long it can take a bird to adapt to a new tent? Thanks
Chickbird
Parakeet

Number of Birds Owned: 1
Types of Birds Owned: Blue Crown Conure
Flight: Yes

Re: My Conure will not use a new tent

Postby Navre » Sun Feb 04, 2018 9:03 am

Those tents can cause problems. That fleece material can get lodged in the crop. There are some that aren't fleece and are probably better.

I made a replacement for my GCC by rolling up a couple of seagrass mats and trying them together with some bird-safe leather.

She uses it sometimes, but mostly she sits on top of it.
Navre
African Grey

Number of Birds Owned: 2
Types of Birds Owned: Turquoise Green Cheek Conure
Hooded Parrot

Re: My Conure will not use a new tent

Postby Pajarita » Sun Feb 04, 2018 10:56 am

Navre is correct. Those tents can cause all kinds of problems... I do have two in two different cages because I have a bird that has very bad feet so he cannot perch and actually walks on his ankles, the poor thing, so he has platforms covered with paper for during the day and the tent at night. The other one that uses a tent is the last bird I got, a black capped caique called Javi. He is used to sleeping in his tent so he still has his but, as soon as he gets his new [larger] cage, I am going to start taking it out a little bit at a time.

I would suggest you try 'weaning' your conure from using it every night... it makes them hormonal and they can end up ingesting some of the fibers as well as getting tangled up in them.
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Number of Birds Owned: 30
Types of Birds Owned: RoseBreasted too, CAG, DoubleYellowHead Amazon, BlueFront Amazon, YellowNape Amazon, Senegal, African Redbelly, Quaker, Sun Conure, Nanday, BlackCap Caique, WhiteBelly Caique, PeachFace lovebird, budgies,

Return to TrainedParrot.com - Parrot Training Blog Comments