Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

Desensitizing Kili to Truman

Comment or discuss articles from the trained parrot blog.

Postby Michael » Wed Jun 30, 2010 9:55 pm

This is about some of the trouble I've been having with aggression and quarantine. I also share some methods I am using to keep the peace or at least encourage it preemptively. Finally I included a video to show how I am trying to bribe Kili not to attack Truman.
Michael
Macaw

Number of Birds Owned: 3
Types of Birds Owned: Senegal Parrot, Cape Parrot, Green-Winged Macaw
Flight: Yes

Re: Desensitizing Kili to Truman

Postby thejoie » Wed Jun 30, 2010 10:30 pm

I don't know how to help with the aggression issues. I've been very lucky. My birds don't like each other but the respect each others space and don't go looking to cause trouble. Thank god!! I think the desensitization will help. Kili's been used to being the only bird. It'll take a while... hopefully you'll start seeing results soon!

On the quarantine issues you say "Needless to say, quarantine has been violated multiple times already. Truman has landed on Kili's stuff and Kili has landed on Truman's stuff. Living in a single room with flighted parrots makes a successful quarantine nearly impossible. I have been weighing the birds regularly and both seem to be doing just fine. Kili has been healthy for two years and Truman got a full array of blood tests by the breeder's vet. I am not having a strict quarantine anymore but I am keeping the cages apart and only taking one parrot out at a time until this aggression issue is dealt with better."

A true quarantine is almost IMPOSSIBLE to do. A lot of illnesses are airborne so to do a true quarantine the bird needs to be in a room where they don't share an air space. In modern homes with a central air conditioning/heating.. it's very hard to shut off a specific bird off in another room.
Here are some resources for that:
http://www.parrothouse.com/quarantine.html
http://www.parrotparrot.com/library/quarantine.htm

I make sure to take every bird that comes through my door to the vet. I don't take my birds to pet stores. But a true quarantine is SO very hard to do- normally, I separate the new bird in another room. And make sure to leave my "socks" at the door when I leave. I always wash my hands in between touching the new bird. That being said I'm totally contradicting everything I just said to say that I'm not doing a QT with Capri. The double macaw cage does NOT fit through the doorway. My breeder only breeds Capes and the Bronze Wing Pionus. She's had her breeding pairs for years. I know several people who have gotten birds from her. I know I'm still taking a risk still but I have confidence in her.

Anyway- I'm rambling... I hope Kili stops attacking Truman!
thejoie
Cockatiel

Number of Birds Owned: 6
Types of Birds Owned: Hahns macaw, Red Belly Parrot, Cape Parrot, Lineolated Parakeets

Postby skeetersunconure » Thu Jul 01, 2010 8:51 am

aww hopefully they'll like each other soon! just to throw in my two cents i have read that if you do something enjoyable together like if they like taking showers you put one on one shower perch and the other on a second perch then let them have fun taking a shower together do you see what i mean? let them ascosiate each other with having fun ( just like harness training well sorta :D )
skeetersunconure
Poicephalus

Number of Birds Owned: 1
Types of Birds Owned: sun conure

Postby Rue » Thu Jul 01, 2010 10:14 am

A true quarantine requires a separate building, a change of clothes and a shower in between visiting birds...

A pseudo in-home quarantine, arguabley better than nothing, would mainly involve how you handle washing dishes, cleaning cages etc. Always look after the established parrot first. Then look after the new parrot. Then wash yourself the best you can.
Every parrot has a duty: To reduce the world to toothpicks.
Rue
Poicephalus

Number of Birds Owned: 5
Types of Birds Owned: Cockatiels -2 hens
Amazon, Green-cheeked
Pionus. White-capped
African Grey, Red-tailed (CAG)

Postby Michael » Thu Jul 01, 2010 1:21 pm

@skeetersunconure - They both hate showers so that's not gonna happen. Truman, I don't even know what he likes. He just likes to play. Kili likes to eat. That's basically what I did. I let Kili eat and watch. When she's busy, that keeps her mind off of attacking.
Michael
Macaw

Number of Birds Owned: 3
Types of Birds Owned: Senegal Parrot, Cape Parrot, Green-Winged Macaw

Postby skeetersunconure » Thu Jul 01, 2010 3:47 pm

oh okay well good luck anyway
skeetersunconure
Poicephalus

Number of Birds Owned: 1
Types of Birds Owned: sun conure