Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

Teaching the Basics of Flight and Recall to Truman

Comment or discuss articles from the trained parrot blog.

Postby Michael » Fri Jul 02, 2010 10:25 pm

Here it is, Truman's first flight recall. But before I get to that, I tell you about how I used my new training stands to walk him back and forth and get him to fly across. He was such a dodo and couldn't get across an 8 inch gap between two stands but we overcame that in less than a week and then had him fly to my hand on call. The video covers a few days worth of training but I held back sharing with this cause I won't be able to write this weekend and want this article/video featured the longest cause it's pretty cool. Hope you enjoy.
Michael
Macaw

Number of Birds Owned: 3
Types of Birds Owned: Senegal Parrot, Cape Parrot, Green-Winged Macaw
Flight: Yes

Re: Teaching the Basics of Flight and Recall to Truman

Postby thejoie » Fri Jul 02, 2010 10:40 pm

That's awesome!!!
I'm going to start recall training with Capri tomorrow. She's been here only about 24 hours. She's bonding to both me and Jer so I think it's time! These videos are GREAT- thanks for posting them!! I'm going to Capri will be my first "recall trained" bird. My Hahns macaw hates to fly!
thejoie
Cockatiel

Number of Birds Owned: 6
Types of Birds Owned: Hahns macaw, Red Belly Parrot, Cape Parrot, Lineolated Parakeets

Postby lainmai » Fri Jul 02, 2010 10:44 pm

Wow, way to go!I actually was clapping when he finally did it, lol!

Are those new stands adjustable for height? Each time I see them now I'm curious as to hat is below what you see on camera.
Owned by 2 Parrotlets (Minoru & Midori) and 1 Senegal (Tobi)
lainmai
Conure

Number of Birds Owned: 3
Types of Birds Owned: Pacific Parrotlet, Senegal

Postby bmsweb » Sat Jul 03, 2010 12:13 am

Nice work. Its awesome seeing a young bird develop :)
bmsweb
Amazon

Number of Birds Owned: 4
Types of Birds Owned: Cockatiel, Green Cheek Conures

Postby Brittanyv326 » Mon Jul 05, 2010 12:09 pm

Props on teaching Truman so quickly!
Will you be including the slides you make when you sell the training stands? Those are just too cute :)
Brittanyv326
Conure

Number of Birds Owned: 1
Types of Birds Owned: Senegal.

Postby MandyG » Mon Jul 05, 2010 1:12 pm

Good job Truman!
MandyG
Amazon

Types of Birds Owned: Yellow Crowned Amazon

Postby CarlosQuaker » Sun Dec 23, 2012 2:55 am

As soon as my Quaker's flight feathers grow back, I'll start working on his recalls :)
Carlos - 23 month old Quaker Parrot :quaker:
CarlosQuaker
Lovebird

Types of Birds Owned: Quaker Parrot

Postby Tiff » Tue Apr 09, 2013 9:09 pm

My bird's flight feathers were terribly clipped back. He had no blue feathers left at all. He is with me since September 2012. After I got the OK from the vet, I started taking Gonzo outside to hang out with me. Now 4 or 5 flight feathers have come out and I tried to encourage him to fly in my apartment under my watch. He is a chicken. My boyfriend has a caique who hangs out with my bird. They love each other. So when we outside now Gonzo flies after us when he start running away from them. The problem has been he landed on the roof twice and refused to come down so we had to get him. He always came to me or my boyfriend for a sunflower seed. So since then I am trying him to land on my hand on command. He refuses to land on my hand. He flies to my bed or in the kitchen. I use target training combined with click training and tons of seeds. But he refuses to land on my hand (finger). Any ideas what I can do to make him land on my finger? I am afraid he will fly off and wont come back. He has a harness but he likes to just bite it when he wears it and dont fly with it.
Tiff
Parakeet

Types of Birds Owned: Conure

Postby missis19 » Thu Jun 04, 2020 7:58 pm

As in the response I left to your post on getting a parrot into its cage easily, there are much more and I believe better ways of training flighted recall. How do i know? I trained a macaw to freefly in Central Park, (my second red front) and flew them in the busiest areas of the park (sheep meadow, the great lawn, north meadow, as well as other parks around the city). How long did that take me to train?

Three weeks, about 15 minutes a day. Will you or others be able to do it like that? I have no idea, but I would bet there wouldn't be many with the appropriate skill level to do so.

Now keep in mind, that was outside. For indoor flight, it depends on the bird and how good it is (and you are) with targeting, but i've taught the basics in maybe an hour or less. Again, ymmv, but its not that difficult, and doesn't really need all the steps you put in. Also, for indoor stuff, weight management isn't necessary and sorry to say special perches aren't needed either. If people are free feeding, that needs to be corraled, but otherwise isn't needed.

I'm sure you're not going to like this post, but I see some serious deficiencies in how you work and train and I would really like to help you get it right if you're going to teach others how to train.

Again PM me if you want to continue this conversation.
missis19
Parakeet

Number of Birds Owned: 2
Types of Birds Owned: red fronted macaw, caique

Postby Pajarita » Fri Jun 05, 2020 1:24 pm

Thank you for your contribution but the post you are replying to is 7 years old and the OP is no longer with us.

As to free flying birds... well, I do hope you don't lose one but we do not believe that free-flight is safe for pet birds or even necessary for them to stay healthy and happy.
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Number of Birds Owned: 30
Types of Birds Owned: RoseBreasted too, CAG, DoubleYellowHead Amazon, BlueFront Amazon, YellowNape Amazon, Senegal, African Redbelly, Quaker, Sun Conure, Nanday, BlackCap Caique, WhiteBelly Caique, PeachFace lovebird, budgies,

Return to TrainedParrot.com - Parrot Training Blog Comments