Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

Parrots Attacking Each Other, Solving Flock Conflicts

Comment or discuss articles from the trained parrot blog.

Postby Michael » Sun Jul 11, 2010 11:35 pm

Kili and Truman have gotten into some fights already. I managed to catch a few on video so you can see what happens. Part of the fighting is my fault cause I've been putting them closer and closer together. But guess what, it keeps them out of each other's feathers when they are somewhat farther than that on their own! This article shows some of the progress and set backs in the newly developing flight dynamics.
Michael
Macaw

Number of Birds Owned: 3
Types of Birds Owned: Senegal Parrot, Cape Parrot, Green-Winged Macaw
Flight: Yes

Re: Parrots Attacking Each Other, Solving Flock Conflicts

Postby Mr.Darcy » Thu Jul 15, 2010 5:04 pm

Hey Michael
I wonder if you noticed that at 2:10 when you told Kili to wave, Truman did it too.....Do you think he was modelling the behaviour or just a coincidence?
Marlies :macaw3:
I've learned that people will forget what you said, people will forget what you did, but people will never forget how you made them feel.
Maya Angelou

:macaw3: :meyers: and Marlies
Mr.Darcy
Poicephalus

Number of Birds Owned: 2
Types of Birds Owned: Hahn's macaw
Meyer's parrot

Re: Parrots Attacking Each Other, Solving Flock Conflicts

Postby thejoie » Thu Jul 15, 2010 5:14 pm

I'm having a hard time with introductions but I never let my parrots fight. I always stop it before it gets to that point. Capri tends to be the more confident/pushy birds between her and my Red Belly and my Hahns is just way too possessive.
Though all 3 birds have flight, I know Mia wouldn't back down from a fight. And Elle's too passive. I've seen WAY too many beaks and toys get ripped off to be confident with birds getting along. If they don't they don't. I make sure to work around their issues.

What's your plan if things don't work themselves out?
thejoie
Cockatiel

Number of Birds Owned: 6
Types of Birds Owned: Hahns macaw, Red Belly Parrot, Cape Parrot, Lineolated Parakeets

Return to TrainedParrot.com - Parrot Training Blog Comments