Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

Early Taming Steps About How to Tame a New Parrot

Comment or discuss articles from the trained parrot blog.

Re: Early Taming Steps About How to Tame a New Parrot

Postby Michael » Sat Dec 29, 2012 3:18 pm

My birds never really bit me cause I was working with them since they were very young. The only trouble I had with Kili was biting other people or Truman which I spent a lot of time resolving. The only time either has bitten me was not realizing me, in a panic, or while looking at the other bird.

I didn't condition Truman to touch gradually. It was just like in this article. One session to teach and then a few to solidify.
Michael
Macaw

Number of Birds Owned: 3
Types of Birds Owned: Senegal Parrot, Cape Parrot, Green-Winged Macaw
Flight: Yes

Postby Kirito » Thu Jan 24, 2013 9:12 am

Hi! i am new here. i am thinking of getting an Indian Ringneck. i am 15.
i don't like loud noises or doing anything fast. i live in a medium sized household. no pets.
i have at least 5 hours of free time a day.
is this a good first pet for me? please help. i don't want to get a bird when i am not suited for it and i have been doing a lot of research on how to take care and interact with a bird. please give me info on if i should get an indian ringneck if not, please tell me what birds may be good for me.

thanks. :)
Kirito
Parakeet

Number of Birds Owned: 0
Flight: No

Postby janetafloat » Fri Feb 01, 2013 2:35 am

To be honest, I'm not sure any kind of bird is a good pet for you if you don't like loud noises. Even my cockatiel is capable of letting out some earsplitting shrieks , and does sometimes :shock: and 'tiels are one of the quietest parrots. Also, please remember that parrots live a long time and at 15 you can't know what you'll be doing 3 or 5 years from now and whether a parrot will fit in to it. A bird is not an easy pet & is a big commitment, please think carefully about whether you can take that on at this stage of your life.
janetafloat
Poicephalus

Number of Birds Owned: 1
Types of Birds Owned: Senegal

Postby marie83 » Fri Feb 01, 2013 2:42 am

janetafloat wrote:To be honest, I'm not sure any kind of bird is a good pet for you if you don't like loud noises. Even my cockatiel is capable of letting out some earsplitting shrieks , and does sometimes :shock: and 'tiels are one of the quietest parrots. Also, please remember that parrots live a long time and at 15 you can't know what you'll be doing 3 or 5 years from now and whether a parrot will fit in to it. A bird is not an easy pet & is a big commitment, please think carefully about whether you can take that on at this stage of your life.

+1 Sorry but I would hold off for a few years until your out of education and preferable in a stable job. Also ringnecks seem to crop up frequently in posts crying for help because of noise/biting issues. Not trying to put you off but now probably isn't the right time for you or the bird.
marie83
Cockatoo

Number of Birds Owned: 2
Types of Birds Owned: Yellow sided Green Cheek Conure
Pineapple Green Cheek Conure

Postby Hadi_Alsayegh » Sat Mar 19, 2016 8:36 am

I cant make my african grey :gray: rais his wing he will bite even if he has a treat already in his mouth he dropes it and bites he is tamed he lets my toush his back but not rais his wing what can i do :(
Hadi_Alsayegh
Parakeet

Types of Birds Owned: African grey

Postby Hadi_Alsayegh » Sat Mar 19, 2016 8:43 am

my african :gray: dosent let me rais his wing even if i give him a treat thats already in his mouth she bites she dropes it and bites any advice what i can do pls reply :(
Hadi_Alsayegh
Parakeet

Types of Birds Owned: African grey

Postby Wolf » Sat Mar 19, 2016 9:26 am

Slow down and listen to your bird. Take a little time to understand the natural nature of your bird. No matter how hard we try not a single one of us are able to act in a manner that is contrary to our nature for any length of time. Greys are very touchy about physical contact and the reason that it is not allowing you to lift its wing is because it does not yet trust you enough. Take your time as these birds live a very long time and you have plenty of time to gain your birds trust, so work slowly on this issue by teaching your bird to allow you to just touch its wings and then to begin to touch the inside of the wing and then to lift it just slightly and only for a second and then put it back down, give the bird a treat and try again later. repeat this as needed.
Wolf
Macaw

Number of Birds Owned: 6
Types of Birds Owned: Senegal
African Grey (CAG)
Yellow Naped Amazon
2Celestial Parrotlet
Budgie

Previous

Return to TrainedParrot.com - Parrot Training Blog Comments