Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

Realities of Training Fully Flighted Parrot

Comment or discuss articles from the trained parrot blog.

Postby Michael » Mon Jul 19, 2010 10:52 pm

Here is some footage you didn't get to see in the wave training video. I didn't want to confuse people or get off topic by showing this but I decided I'd share it now in a separate video. The video shows some fly offs during training and raises the discussion about if it's possible to train flighted parrots. Basically the answer is yes as long as you tame them and train them flight basics first. Check out the article for all the details.
Michael
Macaw

Number of Birds Owned: 3
Types of Birds Owned: Senegal Parrot, Cape Parrot, Green-Winged Macaw
Flight: Yes

Re: Realities of Training Fully Flighted Parrot

Postby lainmai » Mon Jul 19, 2010 11:01 pm

I had been hoping you'd eventually post up some "oops" moments so people don't wind up thinking your birds are complete little angels! At least in the video Truman returns on the recall so obviously you have alot of work and time into the training and they have ALOT of trust in you. Keep up the good work Michael!
Owned by 2 Parrotlets (Minoru & Midori) and 1 Senegal (Tobi)
lainmai
Conure

Types of Birds Owned: Pacific Parrotlet, Senegal

Postby ginger » Tue Jul 20, 2010 2:13 am

Thanks for posting the video of the "out takes" from your training session. It is very encouraging for me to know that things don't always go as planned. The finished videos always seem to give the impression that the birds just sit there and behave, and maybe a clipped parrot will do that. I love the fact that your birds are fully flighted. I have one out the the eight that I own that is fully flighted. I figured that it would be best to work with him first, and then once I have gone through the learning curve with him, I will have some important personal experience to work with when I train the other parrots. I can't thank you enough for all your hard work and generosity. I eagerly await each and every video and blog post you provide. :thumbsup:
ginger
Conure

Number of Birds Owned: 9
Types of Birds Owned: 1 Congo African Grey, 8 Senegals, 1 Bare-eyed Cockatoo,
lots of cockatiels, 2 lovebirds, and a few parakeets. :)
Flight: No

Postby KwwB » Fri May 09, 2014 8:21 pm

What would you suggest bird owners with fully flighted parrots do when your parrot just flies off during training? For instance, my parrot will sometimes fly off back to her cage which is in another room. If I ignore her then she learns she can fly away whenever she wants to be done with training. If I immediately go get her then she learns it as a game and will do it nearly all the time. It feels like a damned if you do damned if you don't scenario.

P.S. My bird isn't flight recall trained yet. Would you suggest that be done ASAP so that I can attempt to flight recall her back after she flies off?
KwwB
Parakeet

Number of Birds Owned: 1
Types of Birds Owned: Red-lored Amazon

Postby Michael » Fri May 09, 2014 8:31 pm

Well this is a motivation issue. What you need to realize is that there are other things the parrot would rather do then train. Either try using those "other things" as reinforcement or focus on making sure that the parrot actually wants the food treats you have to offer. Don't get too worked up about it. Let the parrot go and think about making it more effective next time. Forcing a parrot to train that doesn't want to won't learn anything good from it anyway.
Michael
Macaw

Types of Birds Owned: Senegal Parrot, Cape Parrot, Green-Winged Macaw

Postby KwwB » Fri May 09, 2014 10:36 pm

Awesome. Thanks for the response. Makes sense to just let her go and "stew" about it because now she isn't getting any treats. She doesn't get treats any other time other than training. Your 100% right. As I look at it I think that she just isn't motivated enough the times she flies away. I might need to start feeding her less during her meals, as long as she remains a healthy weight!
KwwB
Parakeet

Number of Birds Owned: 1
Types of Birds Owned: Red-lored Amazon

Postby Darling » Sat May 10, 2014 9:42 pm

I adopted a 12 year old Quaker from a rescue organization. He was afraid of hands and was biting. Therefor, I thought first of all he needs to learn to trust me. I started target training. At the same time I taught him to fly. Before, he did not know what his wings were for. It took some time to strengthen his week muscles. I have Louis only since August last year. He became more confident and happy. I encourage him to fly by saying excitedly : " Louis can fly!" Then he flies a big curve and comes back to his cage. When he thinks he has enough he lets me know. Fortunately, he is very food oriented and loves treats. That way, we are progressing slowly. Biting is now a more seldom nipping/testing. He even wants to be petted and crawl into my big sweater folded up. Then I can touch his beak and his whole body Through the sweater or I have to cover my hand with a sleeve. Recall flight and harness are in the future. With patience we will get there. Louis is very smart and talking up a storm, always in context. He speaks now German and English. He is amazing. Perhaps, I should have concentrated in the beginning more about training. But Louis was so terribly afraid of everything. He is now fully flighted. I think, every parrot is different or in a different situation.
I appreciate advice.
Darling
Parakeet

Number of Birds Owned: 2
Types of Birds Owned: Lovebird, Quaker

Return to TrainedParrot.com - Parrot Training Blog Comments