Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

Taking Truman to Bird Store and 25lb Bag of Pellets

Comment or discuss articles from the trained parrot blog.

Postby Michael » Tue Aug 03, 2010 10:04 pm

This is about the trip I made to the bird store Sunday, how I had Truman out in the store, and then about why I bought a 25lb bag of pellets. Pictures and video included.
Michael
Macaw

Number of Birds Owned: 3
Types of Birds Owned: Senegal Parrot, Cape Parrot, Green-Winged Macaw
Flight: Yes

Re: Taking Truman to Bird Store and 25lb Bag of Pellets

Postby Shonta » Tue Aug 03, 2010 11:46 pm

You're lucky you have a parrot store. The San Francisco Bay area is pathetic with finding a large volume of toys, playgrounds, etc. Luckily there are a couple of large bird fairs a year where you can get a decent selection.
Shonta
Parrotlet

Number of Birds Owned: 2
Types of Birds Owned: green cheek conure
Flight: No

Postby ginger » Wed Aug 04, 2010 2:13 am

I agree with Shonta. There are only a couple of bird stores around here, and none of them are very good. I go to the birdmarts to get some things that I can't find anywhere else. I don't like Petsmart or Petco as far as selection of Parrot toys and equipment. Besides, it just kills me to go in there and see the poor birds they have that are kept in isolation. So sad.

Michael, I absolutely love this video and the article. I never would've thought about the immune building experience. Now that you brought it to my attention, it really makes perfect sense.

Seeing that baby Grey reminded me of when Ozzy was a couple months old. All parrots are so cute when they're babies. I love to watch them as they drink in the world around them. They sure do soak it up.

Thanks again for your videos. I don't know how you do it. I know it takes time to make them, edit them, and post them. And that doesn't even count the time to write up the editorials.

BTW, who's your camera man? Pretty great to have somebody available to go on outings with you to film the progress of your birds. Whoever it is does a great job.
ginger
Conure

Number of Birds Owned: 9
Types of Birds Owned: 1 Congo African Grey, 8 Senegals, 1 Bare-eyed Cockatoo,
lots of cockatiels, 2 lovebirds, and a few parakeets. :)

Postby Rrrma » Wed Aug 04, 2010 10:10 am

I am totally jealous of people with good petshops! All we have is a small Petsmart. If I drive for an hour I get to a small petshop that carries about 5 birds at a time. I could drive for the 3 hours to the only Parrot shop in the state, but I'd rather order from their online store lol!
Sara, birdma to
Rosie(9), Vosmaeri Eclectus
Hardy(20+), Lilac Crown Amazon
Norma(14), Congo African Grey
Trinity(3) and Ginger(1), Normal Grey and White-faced Cinnamon Cockatiels
Rrrma
Conure

Number of Birds Owned: 5
Types of Birds Owned: Vosmaeri Eclectus, Lilac Crown Amazon, Congo African Grey, and 2 cockatiels(a normal grey and a white faced cinnamon)

Postby Shonta » Wed Aug 04, 2010 9:00 pm

It truly is pathetic Ginger. I really can't go into a Petco or Petsmart type of place. The conditions those birds are in is dismal at best. Breaks my heart. I wish I could rescue them all! The clerks don't know sh*t about proper bird care and they could care less. I think like adopting a kid it should be the same way with birds or any animal. Be committed and learn the right way for the poor thing that you are bringing home, especially birds who can live so long! We have an organization in N. Cali called Micaboo bird rescue. They have a website of birds that they've rescued. Some have such sad stories from people who didn't know what they were getting in to.
Shonta
Parrotlet

Number of Birds Owned: 2
Types of Birds Owned: green cheek conure

Postby Nathaniel » Wed Aug 04, 2010 9:29 pm

I acually have a good petsmart, all the employees have pets and are knowledgable about them, the fish and birds and rodents are kept in good condition and it is a very clean diesease free enviorment. So.....
"There must be a beginning of any great matter, but the continuing unto the end until it be thoroughly finished yields the true glory."
Sir Francis Drake
Nathaniel
Conure

Number of Birds Owned: 1
Types of Birds Owned: Male Red-Bellied Parrot

Postby Rrrma » Wed Aug 04, 2010 10:30 pm

Yeah ours is pretty awesome on cleanliness and knowledge... it's just the lack of products that suck.
Sara, birdma to
Rrrma
Conure

Types of Birds Owned: Vosmaeri Eclectus, Lilac Crown Amazon, Congo African Grey, and 2 cockatiels(a normal grey and a white faced cinnamon)

Postby Nathaniel » Wed Aug 04, 2010 10:59 pm

I have two of them on the same plaza, so one usually has no animals but a huge selection of products and the other has an entire wall of fish( :D ), large adoption centers for dogs and cats, and a huge thing of birds, reptiles and rodents. All the birds are fairly socialized(I can hold almost any of them with no bites), the fish are all healthy, and so on, so on. I am pretty satisfied with my petsmarts.
In fact I was suprized to hear so many complaints about other ones.
"There must be a beginning of any great matter, but the continuing unto the end until it be thoroughly finished yields the true glory."
Sir Francis Drake
Nathaniel
Conure

Postby Rrrma » Thu Aug 05, 2010 9:13 am

Jealous!

I think it is probably because of where they are located.

You know I hear people complain about Walmart all the time, but ours is always clean and nice and well stocked and the people are friendly and... I really think it has to do with where you live.
Sara, birdma to
Rrrma
Conure

Postby Nathaniel » Thu Aug 05, 2010 1:28 pm

Yeah. Our wal-mart has a subway and a mcdonalds right next to each other :lol:
Sir Francis Drake
Nathaniel
Conure

Next

Return to TrainedParrot.com - Parrot Training Blog Comments