Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

Truman's Vet Followup

Comment or discuss articles from the trained parrot blog.

Re: Truman's Vet Followup

Postby Michael » Tue Aug 17, 2010 12:57 pm

Kind of late to switch vets mid-process. I'm sure the new one would want to do all tests and stuff over again. I was originally planning to use them for everything from now on and bring Kili in just for a check up to get her established there as well but I don't know any more. Right now the main thing is to get Truman cured but financially it's really tough.

On a good note I got 8 grams of oatmeal into Truman just now. He wasn't eating too good this morning. His weight wasn't critically low but still on the very low side. Last time I offered oatmeal to Truman he rejected it but I decided to try again. When I offer it to him on a spoon he doesn't eat it (unlike Kili who just goes crazy for this stuff). But when I use my finger to shove it from the spoon and into his beak he swallows it right down and looks happy. He had maybe 5 to 10 mouth fulls but then wouldn't take any more so eventually I gave up. I didn't realize that such a tiny amount brought his weight up from a pretty low 312g to 320g which is a fairly normal weight for him. I also let him eat an almond and an entire walnut earlier. I understand this isn't the best stuff for him to be eating right now but considering how much weight he lost in recent days I think it's good to get him some calories. Then when he feels better he can eat his pellets on his own.
Michael
Macaw

Number of Birds Owned: 3
Types of Birds Owned: Senegal Parrot, Cape Parrot, Green-Winged Macaw
Flight: Yes

Postby MandyG » Tue Aug 17, 2010 1:22 pm

Unfortunately mistakes do happen. I'm just glad that there weren't any serious side effects from him being over medicated! And I agree that they shouldn't have charged you for the extra testing that was only necessary because of their mistake.

It's great you were able to get some calorie rich food into him today. Hopefully he starts eating better on his own soon.
MandyG
Amazon

Number of Birds Owned: 1
Types of Birds Owned: Yellow Crowned Amazon

Postby pchela » Tue Aug 17, 2010 1:46 pm

Do you not have any recourse? It seems to me that the vet should be legally accountable for their own mistake especially since you can prove it was their mistake. It's ridiculous that they charged you to fix their mistake.
"I bet the sparrow looks at the parrot and thinks, yes, you can talk, but LISTEN TO YOURSELF!" ~ Jack Handy ~ Deep Thoughts
pchela
African Grey

Types of Birds Owned: Senegal -Pippin
Red Belly - Nicholas
Lesser Jardine's - Rupert
Timneh African Grey - Isabeau (Ibby)

Postby Michael » Tue Aug 17, 2010 1:48 pm

Actually I don't think I have the proof any more. They asked me to bring in the old medication bottle so I did. They took it to check what the mixup was but never gave it back to me. Either way, I'm really not sure what I can do to negate the charge for the mistakes.
Michael
Macaw

Types of Birds Owned: Senegal Parrot, Cape Parrot, Green-Winged Macaw

Postby pchela » Tue Aug 17, 2010 1:54 pm

That sounds extremely fishy to me that they took the proof away from you and kept it.

Oh well. The important thing is that Truman is getting better. I just get so angry when it appears that somebody is getting so blatantly screwed over.
"I bet the sparrow looks at the parrot and thinks, yes, you can talk, but LISTEN TO YOURSELF!" ~ Jack Handy ~ Deep Thoughts
pchela
African Grey

Types of Birds Owned: Senegal -Pippin
Red Belly - Nicholas
Lesser Jardine's - Rupert
Timneh African Grey - Isabeau (Ibby)

Postby MandyG » Tue Aug 17, 2010 2:48 pm

You have proof. In the video where he's explaining the dosage he specifically says .5 ml when reading the bottle (Truman Cape Parrot - Injury, Vet Stay, & Coming Home @ 2:12) ;)

I don't know if you'd be able to get any kind of reinbursement from them, but just in case you want to try you do still have proof. Guess it's a good thing you videotape everything!
MandyG
Amazon

Number of Birds Owned: 1
Types of Birds Owned: Yellow Crowned Amazon

Postby bmsweb » Tue Aug 17, 2010 4:27 pm

Michael wrote:I'm really not sure what I can do to negate the charge for the mistakes.

Have you brought this up with them? If they made the mistake and they are willing to charge you to fix it then it only stands to reason you should charge them for your time? Get my point?

I've actually done this before and it was due to a banking error which they wanted to then charge me for. I asked to speak to the bank manager who explained that even though the bank made the mistake of putting extra money into my account they needed to charge me for the a loan!. I told him I completely understand his position and would like to forward them my invoice for my time to notify them and personally coming in to the branch to fix the problem, pointed out my hourly rate. He asked for a minute then came back and told me not to worry about their mistake and all was good again.
bmsweb
Amazon

Number of Birds Owned: 4
Types of Birds Owned: Cockatiel, Green Cheek Conures

Postby Shonta » Tue Aug 17, 2010 9:04 pm

You really should bring up the charges next time you see them. I assume there is a follow up appt. Perfect time for them to take responsibility. I think it's good not to be so strict on the diet until he not only regains his strength and weight back but also he feels better. He went through some serious mental and physical stress there. TLC and some treats are bonus for the poor little guy right now. I would be so pissed at the vet. I work for a doc's office as his surgery coordinator and while we and docs can make mistakes, this one could have killed him. There's mistakes and there's life threatening mistakes. Any time I'm possibly dealing with giving info that may harm a pt, boy do I double check everything. Not the time to space or be in a hurry!
Shonta
Parrotlet

Number of Birds Owned: 2
Types of Birds Owned: green cheek conure
Flight: No

Postby Shonta » Tue Aug 17, 2010 9:13 pm

Ginger!

You are lucky you live in AZ! By your list of birds you seem to be a huge bird lover and obviously care about their welfare. Have you heard of the organization "Broken Wing" there? It's a rescue that takes abused birds and places them into sanctuaries. If you use facebook, they have a page there if you're interested. Amazing stories. They were just here in N. CA to take some cockatoos from Mickaboo (a bird rescue in Sacramento) which is overloaded. The story in pictures is touching if you are into it. There is also a store there that would be a bird person's heaven imo: My Best Friend Pet Supply in Phoenix. I wish I lived there just to have such great resources. I live in the San Francisco Bay Area and it's very hard to find places with decent bird supplies/toys and avian vet care.
Shonta
Parrotlet

Number of Birds Owned: 2
Types of Birds Owned: green cheek conure
Flight: No

Postby Natacha » Wed Aug 18, 2010 5:50 am

I also don't agree with the fact that they charged you for a procedure and medication to fix their mistakes.
My blog http://poiworld.blogspot.com/
Videos of my birds http://www.youtube.com/user/poicephaluslady
Piper ~ Lovebird
Shade ~ Senegal
Joey & Pixel ~ Red-bellied parrots
Petey & Zuri ~ Meyer's parrots
Léa ~ Cape parrot
Natacha
African Grey

Number of Birds Owned: 7
Types of Birds Owned: PF Lovebird, Senegal Parrot, Red-bellied Parrots, Meyer's Parrot, Cape Parrot

PreviousNext

Return to TrainedParrot.com - Parrot Training Blog Comments