Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

Hand Feeding Truman

Comment or discuss articles from the trained parrot blog.

Hand Feeding Truman

Postby Michael » Thu Aug 19, 2010 10:44 pm

Hand Feeding Truman

For those of you who have been following the Truman is Not Eating Well topic, this article is a recap of recent events, issues, and about how I am hand feeding him. I included a video of Truman's second hand feeding to show you what I'm doing. If I'm doing anything wrong, please let me know. I'm mostly just going based on what I've read and what the breeder told me to do.

I have issued several warnings that I'm just sharing what I am doing for Truman and that this is in absolutely no way a suggestion about how to hand feed unweaned baby parrots. I just know that someone is going to find this and start asking for advice about that... :roll:
Michael
Macaw

Number of Birds Owned: 3
Types of Birds Owned: Senegal Parrot, Cape Parrot, Green-Winged Macaw
Flight: Yes

Re: Hand Feeding Truman

Postby bmsweb » Thu Aug 19, 2010 11:09 pm

You have less control of the syringe due to the way you are holding it.. Hold the Syringe like you would a Joystick and your Thumb is on top controlling the feed rate. You will find you will have much more control.

I hope that makes sense.

If you can get him to hold his head up you will get much larger volume in at a quicker rate.

Good too see he is flying and eating. Hope he gets better soon.

Cheers
bmsweb
Amazon

Number of Birds Owned: 4
Types of Birds Owned: Cockatiel, Green Cheek Conures

Postby pchela » Fri Aug 20, 2010 12:17 am

Looks good Michael. From the consistency I'd say you could make it a little thicker... if it's too thin it is more likely to aspirate them and the older babies like thicker formula anyway. About the consistency of thinnish pudding is good. Also, you have a safe range of about 107 to 110 degrees so don't worry if it falls in that range while you are feeding. It's still safe to feed. And a tip... when I feed I start the water out at between 116 and 119 degrees and then add the formula. I find that by the time I'm done mixing up the formula and have the consistency correct, it ends up being at just about 110 when I finish. You'll have to experiment a little to get it just right but that's a good starting range. It sure beats waiting around for overly hot formula to cool down. Also, I assume Jean told you never to reheat formula in the microwave as it can cause hot spots. I'm very happy to see that Truman is eating his formula!
"I bet the sparrow looks at the parrot and thinks, yes, you can talk, but LISTEN TO YOURSELF!" ~ Jack Handy ~ Deep Thoughts
pchela
African Grey

Types of Birds Owned: Senegal -Pippin
Red Belly - Nicholas
Lesser Jardine's - Rupert
Timneh African Grey - Isabeau (Ibby)

Postby purringparrot » Fri Aug 20, 2010 12:29 am

Eat Truman Eat. You could also try bananas and cooked sweet pototoes to give him variety, we make ours just warmed about 90degrees. What if you also puree the pellets to add to the formula? Do you think it would help to trim his wings a bit so he can't fly around as much and give himself a little more time to heal? We are sending good thoughts that Truman heals quickly and gains loads of weight and is back to himself quickly. Stick with the formula because that has the most calories.
purringparrot
Lovebird

Number of Birds Owned: 5
Types of Birds Owned: Congo grey, uncape parrot, bare-eyed cockatoo, bg macaw, gw macaw

Postby ginger » Fri Aug 20, 2010 1:47 am

I'm glad to see that Truman is eating his formula. That's a great way to help him regain his strength. I know how hard it must be on you to go through all this with a full time job and everything else you are doing, like making the videos and blogging. I still get so mad about what that vet's office did and how they treated you. But, I guess looking forward is best. It looks like he's on the way to a recovery thanks to your diligent effort. I am hopeful that all will be better for you and Truman soon. Thanks for taking the time to post and keep us all updated.
ginger
Conure

Number of Birds Owned: 9
Types of Birds Owned: 1 Congo African Grey, 8 Senegals, 1 Bare-eyed Cockatoo,
lots of cockatiels, 2 lovebirds, and a few parakeets. :)
Flight: No

Postby Michael » Fri Aug 20, 2010 8:15 am

purringparrot wrote:Do you think it would help to trim his wings a bit so he can't fly around as much and give himself a little more time to heal?

Actually I think clipping his wings at this stage would be the most pointless thing to do. It's already been over two weeks since the break and the leg is already beginning to look better. A few more weeks and he should be able to walk on it. By having his flight he can stabilize himself and take weight off when he needs to. When he does take off, he is able to land very gently. I've felt how he lands on my hand. He keeps flapping and slowly eases the weight down. I think stepping up is more difficult for him than just flying onto my hand. He also flaps when he wants to turn around on a perch. If anything I think flight is helping him out for the most part. If I were to clip him, he'd still try to fly but just end up crashing and probably hurt himself more. By the time he would realize he is clipped and shouldn't fly, the bones would be healed anyway. He's not flying that much and he doesn't seem to be hurting himself in the process so I think it's alright.

Thanks for the tips and support.
Michael
Macaw

Types of Birds Owned: Senegal Parrot, Cape Parrot, Green-Winged Macaw

Postby lzver » Fri Aug 20, 2010 8:22 am

I agree with you Michael. Clipping his wings I don't think is going to serve any purpose at this point. I think it would be more of a risk and he could hurt himself even more.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Laura's Bird World Blog - http://laurasbirdworld.blogspot.com/
Jessie - Senegal
Lucy - Red Bellied
Kylie - Meyers
lzver
Amazon

Types of Birds Owned: 1 Senegal; 1 Red-Bellied; 1 Meyers

Postby Mona » Fri Aug 20, 2010 12:36 pm

Hi Michael:

This is one of those things that I chatted with my husband about...Do you think Michael should trim Truman's wings on a temporary basis? I am going to add the caveat that I really don't know...You are the only person who would know because you are there with the bird.

Any way, I posited maybe you should trim and my husband came back with the same point you made: "Truman now knows how to fly. If you trim, he might fall and hurt himself worse because it isn't what he's used to." - That is a good point.

I definitely wouldn't make a decision based on any sort of an "ideal" but would always make a decision based on what I thought would work with that particular bird. If Truman is doing okay, then why mess with him? Time, patience, and healing are your allies.

Any way, thanks for the discussion. I've been checking in on Truman and I'm glad he's doing better. Hope to see him feeling spunky and on the mend soon.....I guess sometimes, we have to trust that the birds will figure it all out. I know that I do that a lot with my flock. They aren't stupid. They do know how to take care of themselves if we give them a chance.

The most problems I have ever had is when I meddle just a little TOO much.....There's managing to help them learn to co-exist in our environment with us....and then there's meddling, when we get in the way of their learning and growing.....and it's a tricky balance.

Thanks again.

Mona
Mona in Seattle
Phinneous Fowl (aka Phinney) TAG
Babylon Sengal
Doug (spousal unit)
Jack and Bailey (Gremlins)
Kiri (CAG)
http://www.flyingparrotsinside.com

youtube: Avian Flyers
Mona
Poicephalus