Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

Truman Recovery Update and Vet Reconciliation

Comment or discuss articles from the trained parrot blog.

Postby Michael » Fri Aug 20, 2010 10:40 pm

Read about some newer updates on Truman's well being and how he is eating. Also find out about how the medication mix up and billing mess concluded.
Michael
Macaw

Number of Birds Owned: 3
Types of Birds Owned: Senegal Parrot, Cape Parrot, Green-Winged Macaw
Flight: Yes

Re: Truman Recovery Update and Vet Reconciliation

Postby ginger » Sat Aug 21, 2010 1:46 am

Yay! This is all great news. I am so glad that you and the Office Manager were able to have a discussion that led to a happy ending for all of you. Even though he's making slow progress, it is still progress. I am so happy for you, Michael. Give Truman a headscratch for me. Oh, and by the way, how's Kili handling all this?
ginger
Conure

Number of Birds Owned: 9
Types of Birds Owned: 1 Congo African Grey, 8 Senegals, 1 Bare-eyed Cockatoo,
lots of cockatiels, 2 lovebirds, and a few parakeets. :)
Flight: No

Postby pchela » Sat Aug 21, 2010 2:07 am

Finally some good news! Even though Truman is not eating much, it sounds like he is not losing drastic amounts of weight so that's a good sign. I just hope he recovers soon and you can continue with your training. I'm very glad to hear that the vet clinic rectified their mistake. They could have easily ignored it and kept your money. I'm still thinking about Truman often and wishing him the best!
"I bet the sparrow looks at the parrot and thinks, yes, you can talk, but LISTEN TO YOURSELF!" ~ Jack Handy ~ Deep Thoughts
pchela
African Grey

Types of Birds Owned: Senegal -Pippin
Red Belly - Nicholas
Lesser Jardine's - Rupert
Timneh African Grey - Isabeau (Ibby)

Postby HyperD » Sat Aug 21, 2010 2:25 am

Good to hear Truman is slowing improving.

The vet situation is also good news but as you have said, not your biggest concern :)
HyperD
Poicephalus

Number of Birds Owned: 1
Types of Birds Owned: 1 Senegal

Postby Kim S » Sat Aug 21, 2010 4:40 am

Like I said before, vets are still human, and humans make mistakes. Its a big plus for them to be so cooperative on the bill. There probably wont be any more scre-ups on Trumans care. I think they will look at everything twice now ;)

I'm happy Truman is making some progress. I know you would prefer him to gain weight, but not losing any is an improvement at the moment.
Kika: Senegal Parrot.
Guus: Cockatiel, Yellowcheek, cinnamon, pearl, pied.
Kim S
Amazon

Types of Birds Owned: Senegal (1)

Postby Shonta » Sat Aug 21, 2010 1:01 pm

Great news! Glad the manager is working with you. It would not be in their best interest not to being their mistake may have been fatal. I don't know if vets have malpractice insurance or if the law takes animal malpractice seriously but doctors and their staff cannot afford to mess up with medications. I don't buy this everyone makes mistakes when it comes to what could mean life and death, even in birds. If we mess up and cause undo harm we are hit with malpractice suits, and the patient has every right. The it was an honest mistake won't get you off the hook. When you are giving meds, double check it yourself or have someone else. It's not worth the consequences to make a mistake. Next time my birds need meds I'm going to read back the directions on the bottle to make sure it is correct. Here's to Truman getting stronger and better soon! YOu go little guy!
Shonta
Parrotlet

Number of Birds Owned: 2
Types of Birds Owned: green cheek conure

Postby ginger » Tue Aug 24, 2010 8:35 pm

How is Truman doing? Just hoped you might have time to give a quick update. Thanks.
ginger
Conure

Postby Michael » Tue Aug 24, 2010 10:21 pm

Eh. He's still not eating great on his own. If I don't give him at least 1 supplemental feeding a day his weight declines. However, there has been noticeable improvement in the leg. It's by no means healed. He still limps and mainly sits on one leg. However, he can do things he couldn't do before.

For instance turning around on a perch, he used to have to flap to take the weight off as he turned around. Now he can do it just on his legs (maybe leaning on his beak). He has been flying a lot and it doesn't seem to bother him at all. I'm sure if it hurt to land, he'd stop flying. But he doesn't. And actually he's been REALLY GOOD about where he's been flying to. He has only been flying to training perches around the room, his cage top, or to me. He hasn't been flying up onto the blinds any more (which was what ended up starting this whole mess to begin with). He has been recalling to me pretty well too. Also he can sort of step up now. It's hard for him and he'll aid with beak but he can step up. Remember that stepping up involves pressing off with one leg but then pulling up with the other. So now matter how you do it, there's a moment when all weight is strictly on one leg. So there is no way to step up without putting weight on bad leg but he manages. I don't have him do it much but I do test him every day by seeing if he can do it or not.

Finally, he still remembers his tricks. Wave is the only one he can't do because he has to put all the weight on the bad leg to lift the other one. I have no way of knowing if he remembers it or not. However, he still remembers recall, target, and fetch very well. He does them flawlessly which is surprising cause there have been a few weeks when we didn't do them at all. I'm particularly surprised he hasn't forgotten fetch because we had only done it for 8 training sessions prior to the accident and then 2 weeks went by when we didn't do it at all. And yet when I test him on it, he was eager to do it and did it right. So imagine that? 8 days to learn, 14 to skip, and still knows what to do. Not too bad.

My goal is to get him back in his cage by the end of the week but that will really depend on his ability to fully eat on his own and to be able to climb safely. We'll see what happens. Tomorrow will be the 3 week mark since the break. This healing sure is taking a long time though.
Michael
Macaw

Types of Birds Owned: Senegal Parrot, Cape Parrot, Green-Winged Macaw

Postby ginger » Wed Aug 25, 2010 3:13 am

I'm so glad that he is improving. Progress is progress, even if it is slow. Patience is not one of my best attributes, so I am sure it would be hard for me to wait for the recovery. It is good to know that he is still happy in spite of it all and able to retain his trick training. Keep up the great work you're doing nursing him back to health. Is he enjoying his outdoor time in the new aviary?
ginger
Conure

Postby Kim S » Wed Aug 25, 2010 9:03 am

Has it been three weeks already? Good thing he is putting more and more weight on his bad leg. Souns like its healing pretty well.
I think training Tuman is something you can still continue and will be good for him. It keeps him physically and mentally healthy. And there are some things you can still teach him? Lifting his wings, nodding, shaking his head.
But dont go too fast. This little break in training is perfect for me and Kika to catch up with you. Kika is giving a wave on command since yesterday! :D
Kika: Senegal Parrot.
Guus: Cockatiel, Yellowcheek, cinnamon, pearl, pied.
Kim S
Amazon

Types of Birds Owned: Senegal (1)

Return to TrainedParrot.com - Parrot Training Blog Comments