Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

Assembling Outdoor Aviary for My Parrots

Comment or discuss articles from the trained parrot blog.

Postby Michael » Sun Aug 22, 2010 9:38 pm

Kili and Truman get an outdoor aviary! That's the only good news I have, everything else only gets worse and worse. The aviary made by Cages By Design had endless defects and problems. It took 10 days before from the day it was delivered until it was complete.

Yeah, sorry, for nearly two months I have known about this but haven't told anyone about the aviary. I wanted to make it a pleasant surprise with a neat video of it getting assembled and enjoyed by the birds. Unfortunately since, Truman was injured. I had ordered the cage so long ago that I was not even sure if Kili and Truman would get along well enough to be in it together so I bought a divider to split it into two but I probably won't need to. I had been working on the aviary since Truman's injury.

This article is very very long but that is because there is just sooooo much to talk about. I just didn't know how this would all end up so I didn't want to publish till completion. This is about 2 weeks worth of blogging all in one article so take your time reading it if you have to. I broke it up by sections to make it easier. I begin with how I decided to get an aviary, what option I chose, how it arrived, assembly, problems, defects, more defects, solutions, and finally ends with Kili and Truman visiting the aviary for the first time.

Anyone thinking of getting an aviary or thinking of getting any product from Cages By Design should absolutely read this product review. I really cannot imagine anyone risking thousands of dollars to this company after what you are about to read. The article includes lots of photographic proof of the defects and a video showing how much work it is to build one. Even if you don't have any plans to have an aviary, I think this will still be an amusing read for you because it turned out like a circus show where you can't believe that things could get any worse. My pain, your amusement. Enjoy.
Michael
Macaw

Number of Birds Owned: 3
Types of Birds Owned: Senegal Parrot, Cape Parrot, Green-Winged Macaw
Flight: Yes

Re: Assembling Outdoor Aviary for My Parrots

Postby Shonta » Sun Aug 22, 2010 10:51 pm

Great looking aviary! Are you going to put branches and toys in there too? What a friggin nightmare with the assembly though! You can figure out how to make it work but what about folks who need directions to be able to assemble something and well the correct parts too. Maybe you should post the manufacturer so such folks won't buy from them unless they are smart, creative, and patient to be able to basically put it together themselves!

Lucky Kili & Truman though. Nice change from indoors in the summer. Do you own your place or do you rent and they gave you permission to put an aviary out there>?
Shonta
Parrotlet

Number of Birds Owned: 2
Types of Birds Owned: green cheek conure
Flight: No

Postby Shonta » Sun Aug 22, 2010 10:53 pm

Nevermind, I just saw the name of the company. Cages by design is a good name for it. You design your own cage with what you are given!
Shonta
Parrotlet

Number of Birds Owned: 2
Types of Birds Owned: green cheek conure

Postby kellybird » Sun Aug 22, 2010 11:30 pm

I am sorry you found out the hard way. I just finally sold my used cages by design cage it was huge and had the divider in it. I will never deal with that company again! worst customer service ever. Regarding the setting up process we finally know how to do that after taking down and assembling more than 3 times lol. I just read this quickly and had to respond but they are horrible!! I had so many problems with there cage. I spent around 2,500 on this cage about 6 yrs ago and only sold it for 500.00 because of all the things broken on it. The bars were definately NOT strong enough for a greenwing macaw and neither was the door frame. I do hope you get your together (dont remember if you said you did or not) If you need any assistance feel free to ask me!!! Kelly
kellybird
Cockatiel

Number of Birds Owned: 5
Types of Birds Owned: Greenwing Macaw, Blue-fronted Amazon, 2 Meyers Parrots, Senegal

Postby kellybird » Sun Aug 22, 2010 11:43 pm

Okay didnt get to read all the blog but my cage was totally different as it was an inside cage and not an outdoor aviary but one thing I noticed right away was the friendly feeders. I did have them on my cage and there are many many bolts on each feeder which definatly does hold the feeder on tight ( i actually removed all but two for the fact it was a pain in the butt to thourougly clean) I noticed you put zip ties which I could see the birds chewing off very easily!! I hope you kept in the screws also because I am getting worried you may lose your birds if they decide to chew them. One other question, which again you may have mentioned but its late and I didnt get to read all of it yet but are you leaving your parrots outside at night? I probably am thinking no but just incase I warn you of the wild animals. I know you live in NY and so do I and a few years ago I lost several parrots and a cockatiel from raccoons. They did not get in the cage but pulled them through the bars and killed them. The birds would sleep on the side of the wire at night and the raccon just ripped there leg off and they died. I am sorry this is so harsh but I would not want this to happed to you or anyone else here! After this happened I sold my aviary cages and have not put another bird outside. I will never recover from there loss. It does look like a beautiful aviary and I hope your birds get to enjoy it finally!!! Good luck with it. Keep me posted about the zip tie thing!!! Kelly
kellybird
Cockatiel

Number of Birds Owned: 5
Types of Birds Owned: Greenwing Macaw, Blue-fronted Amazon, 2 Meyers Parrots, Senegal

Postby thejoie » Mon Aug 23, 2010 1:12 am

did you consider stainless steel? How is the aviary going to hold up in the winter and rain? The price of stainless steel is significantly more but the durablilty of it is appealing.

I've been wanting to purchase an aviary to put on my deck for next spring/summer and have been looking at a lot of different ones as well.
Thanks for the review!
thejoie
Cockatiel

Number of Birds Owned: 6
Types of Birds Owned: Hahns macaw, Red Belly Parrot, Cape Parrot, Lineolated Parakeets

Postby HyperD » Mon Aug 23, 2010 1:43 am

Wow that is a big aviary, m sure Kili and Truman will enjoy it thoroughly.

It's unfortunate you paid a high price for such a flawed product but your determination has won the day (or is that 10?)!

Thanks for making us aware of this company...
HyperD
Poicephalus

Number of Birds Owned: 1
Types of Birds Owned: 1 Senegal

Postby ginger » Mon Aug 23, 2010 2:07 am

What a nightmare that turned out to be for you. I have the 6' round and 4' round Suncatcher aviaries with dual connecting saftey catch. I bought mine used, and I'm so glad I did. They guy I bought the 6' from had so much trouble getting the panels together, even though there aren't any tools needed. They just slide together by placing pins into sleeves. Sounds easy enough. Unless the welds are in the wrong place. He had to call them several times and they finally just sent him a new panel. I guess that was easier. The 4' round I bought from a different person and his had to have metal shims placed at the roof line to get the panels to line up with the roof peices. All in all, I would never, ever buy another Suncatcher product - used or new.
I also have a 5' x 7' A&E Walk-in aviary with the optional saftey door that I house my parakeets in. What a piece of junk this turned out to be. The total cost for this china made aviary was $1500. I thought I was getting a high end aviary. Boy, was I wrong! None of the peices fit together on the roof sections, the holes weren't drilled to match up, the instructions were a joke (one page picture diagram), and it rusted immediately just from using the built-in water dishes. Another product that really is terrible. Stay away from this one for sure!
I have just ordered a brand new aviary for my 2 Blue and Gold Macaws. I decided that I would try Wingz Catalog Company. I ordered the Bird Loft with the optional extension and internal saftey door. The total living space for them is 6' x 8.5' and I chose to place it on a cement pad. I'll have to let you know how this company is about their products. I really, really hope that it was the right decision. I should be receiving it next week. I'll let you know what happens with this one.
ginger
Conure

Number of Birds Owned: 9
Types of Birds Owned: 1 Congo African Grey, 8 Senegals, 1 Bare-eyed Cockatoo,
lots of cockatiels, 2 lovebirds, and a few parakeets. :)

Postby ginger » Mon Aug 23, 2010 2:14 am

One more thing about the Suncatcher panels. I found them to be very sturdy and they hold up well all year round, and in all kinds of weather. I've never had any trouble with the welds breaking apart. My lovebirds and cockatiels are in them 24/7 and I've yet to have any problems.

I know Kili and Truman will love to be outside enjoying the freedom of an aviary. It is really a great thing you are doing for them, Michael. They're very lucky to have you, and you them.
ginger
Conure

Number of Birds Owned: 9
Types of Birds Owned: 1 Congo African Grey, 8 Senegals, 1 Bare-eyed Cockatoo,
lots of cockatiels, 2 lovebirds, and a few parakeets. :)

Postby MandyG » Mon Aug 23, 2010 9:18 am

Thanks for the review Michael!

As I read I just couldn't believe that anything else could go wrong, then surely enough it did! I always thought that their aviaries were of high quality. I was hoping to one day save up for one of them, I'll definitely be looking around before I buy an aviary now!
MandyG
Amazon

Number of Birds Owned: 1
Types of Birds Owned: Yellow Crowned Amazon

Next

Return to TrainedParrot.com - Parrot Training Blog Comments