Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

Assembling Outdoor Aviary for My Parrots

Comment or discuss articles from the trained parrot blog.

Re: Assembling Outdoor Aviary for My Parrots

Postby Mona » Mon Aug 23, 2010 10:46 am

Hi Michael:

I haven't read the review but as far as outdoor aviairies go, I have two from Corners Limited and I have absolutely no problem recommending them. My biggest aviary is 7 feet high, 15 feet long and six feet wide and I call it my "two beer" aviary because it took my husband and myself the time it took me to drink two beers to put it up. Here's a link to their website:

http://cornerslimited.com/

I have two outdoor aviairies. One is the octagon. Service was great. Price was reasonable..(About the price for a very nice indoor cage). Every thing to recommend them. Very professional.

Mona
Mona in Seattle
Phinneous Fowl (aka Phinney) TAG
Babylon Sengal
Doug (spousal unit)
Jack and Bailey (Gremlins)
Kiri (CAG)
http://www.flyingparrotsinside.com

youtube: Avian Flyers
Mona
Poicephalus

Number of Birds Owned: 5
Types of Birds Owned: Senegal Parrots, Congo African Grey, Timneh African Grey
Flight: Yes

Postby Richard » Mon Aug 23, 2010 2:09 pm

Hi Michael, as you can see I was finally able to register, using another computer this time.
This was quite something you have described. I'm sure you expected something that would just fall in place and I would have had too. I was in a lecture about three years ago where someone was explaining how to build an outside aviary. I could not afford to buy something like yours and in reality, it would not satisfy my security needs. So he was telling us how it should be done and why. The only material I would use is stainless steel; it is the strongest and the hardest to break and it will not corrode. When coating gets scratched you will see the steel rust in no time, specially outside. They sell stainless steel mesh in the US but the problem is I live in Canada and you have to order quite a large roll of it, unless I find someone to share with me and it's not obvious.
It is also imperative to build a double wall, the inside mesh in stainless and the outside one galvanized. Why? So no wild beast can try to eat my parrots or even touch them and make them sick. The walls should be spaced something like four inches is I recall well. Second, you need a roof, so they get shade and no wild birds can poop on them and transmit aviary flu.
I would also like to have a concrete base to make it easier to clean and cleaner.
So, after figuring out the cost of the materials, I decided to forget about it until I win a lottery :-)
It would need to be strong anough to withstand the humongous amount of snow and ice we get here in the winter also without collapsing or getting damaged, so the outside mesh would have to be quite strong.
One more safety issue I almost forgot to mention. A double door is also a must. When you go in the birds can fly out in a flash very easy. Half a second of inattention and it can happen. Sometimes when they are out in the house I tend to forget and will go answer the door.
One more thing. Getting the birds stolen is always a possibility. No cage can ever stop someone who really want to get in there. You can use gig wire cutters and get access in only a few seconds, no matter how strong the mesh or the steel is. Having something to support that would mean super heavy duty stainless and probably cost 5,000$.

With all the trouble you had putting it up, I hope they will enjoy it and it will be a safe place for them.
A cam is a good idea also.

You are in the big city. I live in the country with racoons, eagles and foxes and more so I would not take any chance.
Have a nice day.
Richard
Richard
Parakeet

Number of Birds Owned: 3
Types of Birds Owned: I own three medium size parrots.

Postby Rue » Mon Aug 23, 2010 2:48 pm

I'm very sorry you had such a bad time with the company... I've seen their ads for years now, you'd think if they're still in business they'd have better customer relations people...
Every parrot has a duty: To reduce the world to toothpicks.
Rue
Poicephalus

Types of Birds Owned: Cockatiels -2 hens
Amazon, Green-cheeked
Pionus. White-capped
African Grey, Red-tailed (CAG)

Postby skeetersunconure » Mon Aug 23, 2010 3:11 pm

wow thats terrible. kili and truman better like it then haha
so wa\hat aviaries can you trust to buy i wonder
skeetersunconure
Poicephalus

Number of Birds Owned: 1
Types of Birds Owned: sun conure

Postby Natacha » Thu Aug 26, 2010 8:44 pm

That is quite the extensive review, to be honest, I kept it mostly to the videos for now, since I figured you would say most of what you had to say.

Question - will you be adding perches, at least at the extremities (to provide plenty of flying space in between) for them to be able to perch on without having to perch to the cage sides?
My blog http://poiworld.blogspot.com/
Videos of my birds http://www.youtube.com/user/poicephaluslady
Piper ~ Lovebird
Shade ~ Senegal
Joey & Pixel ~ Red-bellied parrots
Petey & Zuri ~ Meyer's parrots
Léa ~ Cape parrot
Natacha
African Grey

Number of Birds Owned: 7
Types of Birds Owned: PF Lovebird, Senegal Parrot, Red-bellied Parrots, Meyer's Parrot, Cape Parrot

Postby kellybird » Thu Aug 26, 2010 8:54 pm

I have to agree with Mona that Corners Limited is a great company and I have also purchased from them in the past. I recently purchased two custom cage fronts for my indoor aviary we built and they came out great and fast. Customer service was execellent!!!
kellybird
Cockatiel

Types of Birds Owned: Greenwing Macaw, Blue-fronted Amazon, 2 Meyers Parrots, Senegal

Postby Michael » Thu Aug 26, 2010 10:26 pm

Yes, I will be adding perches/toys a bit later. Actually I'm thinking of putting a big Java tree up in there but probably not till next season as there isn't that much left of this one. I would put like a 5ft Java tree in the center and bury the base in the gravel so it would just be coming out of the ground. But for now I'm just going to hang some ladders, swings, and rope perches from the roof. I will not bolt a single perch up to the sides. I'm trying to encourage the birds to stay toward the middle where it is safer and away from the edges.

Today I had Truman in the aviary for a while. Most of the time he was inside the budgie cage on a makeshift table. For part of the time thought I left him in the greater aviary on a training perch. He stayed put on it and really was just bored. He was much happier when I put him back into the little wire cage with food/toys. I plane to start keeping Truman in the greater aviary more starting in a few days. His leg is still not good enough for him to be climbing around in his big cage. I'm particularly worried about him falling and busting it again. But in the aviary there is enough room to fly so if he falls he can easily catch himself. I will hang a couple swings from the top and leave some training perches below so he has a place to land if he falls down.
Michael
Macaw

Number of Birds Owned: 3
Types of Birds Owned: Senegal Parrot, Cape Parrot, Green-Winged Macaw

Postby Natacha » Fri Aug 27, 2010 5:12 pm

I'm looking forward to seeing it "complete" then, even if it has to wait until next year.
My blog http://poiworld.blogspot.com/
Videos of my birds http://www.youtube.com/user/poicephaluslady
Piper ~ Lovebird
Shade ~ Senegal
Joey & Pixel ~ Red-bellied parrots
Petey & Zuri ~ Meyer's parrots
Léa ~ Cape parrot
Natacha
African Grey

Number of Birds Owned: 7
Types of Birds Owned: PF Lovebird, Senegal Parrot, Red-bellied Parrots, Meyer's Parrot, Cape Parrot

Postby ginger » Fri Aug 27, 2010 5:41 pm

Seems like you have a great plan for your aviary, Michael. Good to know that Truman is healing and getting some fresh air and sunlight. Things can only get better! :thumbsup:
ginger
Conure

Number of Birds Owned: 9
Types of Birds Owned: 1 Congo African Grey, 8 Senegals, 1 Bare-eyed Cockatoo,
lots of cockatiels, 2 lovebirds, and a few parakeets. :)
Flight: No

Postby TheNzJessie » Sun Sep 05, 2010 11:55 pm

im looking forward to next year when i get my own place and can set up an aviary. im aloud to set one up now but if im setting one up im going to set up a permanent one so i think its better to wait. im talking setting it in concrete with proper drainage for easy cleaning, safety door, covered den. the works.
Qwil-:budgie:
Jango-:rainbow:
Jessie-ME
:)
TheNzJessie
African Grey

Number of Birds Owned: 2
Types of Birds Owned: Rainbow lorikeet
Budgie

PreviousNext

Return to TrainedParrot.com - Parrot Training Blog Comments