Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

The Most Suitable Parrot for a Young Child

Comment or discuss articles from the trained parrot blog.

Re: The Most Suitable Parrot for a Young Child

Postby Sekica » Tue Aug 31, 2010 8:32 pm

My parents bought me my first pair of budgies when I was 10 years old. For the most part I took care of them on my own. Now with my five birds mom and I share the responsibilities since I work long hours and she stays at home, and she absolutely loves to interact with them. Ever since we got the first pair of birds we both decided that we'll have birds for the rest of our lives. They are a joy to both of us. To her they are her grandchildren since she doesn't have any human ones yet.
Sekica
Lovebird

Number of Birds Owned: 5
Types of Birds Owned: Budgies, Cockatiels
Flight: Yes

Postby skeetersunconure » Tue Aug 31, 2010 8:40 pm

Well ya know im 13 and Ive almost had skeeter for a year now and everyday i look forward to seeing my boy after scho ol :) im 100% commited i dont agree with people abandoning or neglecting their animals ata ll it makes me so mad when they do!! skeeter is my best little buddy (most of the time hehehee :))
skeetersunconure
Poicephalus

Number of Birds Owned: 1
Types of Birds Owned: sun conure

Postby budgiesarepeopletoo » Sat Apr 28, 2012 7:45 am

I am ten years old, and I am completely devoted to my Caique! I pay for toys, new perches, etc. I earn that money! I teach him tricks he is fully flighted, children can be responsible owners! My Caique is my third bird. I have budgies as well! I agree though, I am home schooled, so I have lots of time to care for my birds. Make sure your kid is doing their research before you get a parrot for them!
budgiesarepeopletoo
Parakeet

Types of Birds Owned: Buudgie
Flight: No

Postby Chipper266 » Sat May 05, 2012 8:56 am

Did u happen to notice if they had one of them DS programs for a "sim wife"? lol well anyways i agree with the small child bird thing my son is ten yrs old and he is very interested in our new flock.... squirrel opps there he goes. So anyways if you think or want a pet bird or a pet anything for child of any age make sure its a family pet because in most cases thats what it will end up being because any aged child to young adult have the attention span of a fruit fly.
Chipper266
Parakeet

Number of Birds Owned: 3
Types of Birds Owned: Senegal, GCC, Cape
Flight: No

Postby Fridgewithwingss » Sat May 26, 2012 11:42 am

This is an interesting article! I really like the points put across, but I think this is a very generalised point of view. For example, in my case- I am currently fifteen, and planning on getting a single lovebird in August. However, before anybody reading this makes a snap judgement, I would like to say the conditions I am getting this bird on.

I have wanted a bird for approximately three years, but never thought it possible until a friend got a budgie around september time last year. This sparked my interest again, and I asked my Mum if I could get a bird. She told me to do research, and after extensive (and I mean very, VERY extensive!) research, I concluded that a lovebird was the best bird for me. They're little balls of energy, and i really liked that about them. Also, I liked how cuddly they got with enough taming, and their cute little attitudes. I asked again, explained my research, and she agreed- Under one condition. I have to get straight A's in the GCSE's I am taking this year. My average is around that, and with enough revision I thought I could do it. I'm currently in the process of taking the exams, and am also doing at least three hours a day revision at the bare minimum!

I have also calculated the cost of everything. I'm the kind of person who likes to be organised and prepared, so I have made a spreadsheet including every little expense this bird will need in advance- Travel cage, cage, toys, bowls, food, perches, climbing frames, a swing, treats, foot toys, even the delivery costs! I have been saving up, and can afford the £108.83 ($170.40) it will cost me (At the bare minimum- I'll probably fall prey to an exciting toy or two at the pet shop!) I have done research into the cheapest website, so I can spoil the bird with as many toys as I can afford! Note that this does not include the price of the bird and vet bills, my parents have agreed to pay for those.

I think the thing people are most worried about here is the responsibility aspect though. I have that covered too. I'm already taking to spraying deodorant and body sprays outside, and closing the doors and opening all windows when my parents are using teflon pans- we only own two, and hardly ever use them, but I doubt I'll be able to get my parents to give them up. Luckily my bedroom is about as far away from the kitchen as you can get, and my door is always closed so that my dog and cat can't get in. I'll take every precaution I can with those pans. I don't like it, but I'll have to make do! Also, I spend a lot of time at home, and will spend time with the bird for definite- I think over-bonding will be more of a problem than neglect in my case! I've also already planned for university. Also, the fact that i'll do a full cage clean once a week, wipe down the grate and toys twice a week and clean out the tray and food bowls daily goes without saying.

So, in conclusion to this ridiculously long rant, I do think that birds are suitable for teenagers (Not children, I agree with that) but only If they've researched and planned for AT LEAST a year prior, and are responsible and mature for their age, and know what they'll be giving up- I know I'll have to get up a half-hour earlier in the morning to feed and clean, and go to bed earlier too, to give the bird enough sleep. I know I'll have less free time, and money for myself. I know that the bird'll be loud and sometimes annoying, and I know that I'll get bitten occasionally, and probably get a couple scars on my hands. And, in all honesty, I would willingly give it up two times over.
No bird soars too high if he soars with his own wings ~ William Blake

Poetry is like a bird-it ignores all frontiers ~ Yevgeny Yevtushenko
Fridgewithwingss
Parrotlet

Types of Birds Owned: Lovebird

Postby pennyandrocky » Sat May 26, 2012 12:53 pm

you missed a few things. how much out of cage time? is the bird going to be shut up in your room all day? birds get bored very easily mine use 2-5 rooms in my house depending on their mood they like to look out all the windows and visit different people in the house.i have a playstand in one room,a tree in another,and branches attached to other walls in the house so there is always a place to land wherever they want to go.they need to be socialized with different people,someday you may have a relationship with another person and kids you don't want a one person bird that will attack anyone who gets too close to you.
pennyandmya
pennyandrocky
Amazon

Number of Birds Owned: 2
Types of Birds Owned: green cheek conure,ducorps cockatoo

Postby Arshia » Fri Jun 29, 2012 5:57 pm

I know of an even better alternative: a dog.
Arshia
Lovebird

Number of Birds Owned: 0

Postby marie83 » Sat Jun 30, 2012 6:03 am

Arshia wrote:I know of an even better alternative: a dog.

Why on earth a dog? They are just as much responsibility as a bird just shorter lived.
They suffer from just as many behavioural problems, the long coat breeds need clipping reguarly or hours spent on grooming. They too need training, regular feeds, lots of walking (the minimum is not long or often enough for most breeds), playing with, entertainment, loads of money for upkeep, toys which need replacing when damaged, someone to look after them if the owner can't.

Basicly what I'm trying to say is if you look after a dog correctly (provide more than the minimum requirements)then they require just as much time as a parrot. I cannot stand owners who get a dog and just let it out in the garden and walk it once a week if it's lucky. Even once a day is not enough for most dogs.
marie83
Cockatoo

Number of Birds Owned: 2
Types of Birds Owned: Yellow sided Green Cheek Conure
Pineapple Green Cheek Conure

Postby liz » Sat Jun 30, 2012 7:45 am

Worse than that is a dog tied in the back yard. Even worse is a dog in a dog lot.
My daughter has two boxers. We have five little house dogs that get stepped on if they get in the way of the boxers. She has put them in a dog lot.

If I can't stand to lock a bird in a cage you know I can't tolerate a caged dog. I have created a morning and evening routine that alows me to close the little dogs in and let the boxers (titans) run for an hour each time. When they get tired (and they know how long an hour is) them come to the back deck and let me know they are ready to go back and be fed.

Getting back to the Lovie conversation. They are full of energy and they also have attitudes. Tweetle Dee & Tweetle Dumb :swaying: :swaying: are the only creatures in the house that scare the Amazons.
liz
Macaw

Number of Birds Owned: 12
Types of Birds Owned: DYH Amazon Rambo
BF Amazon Myrtle
Cockatiels: Shadow Tammy Flutter Phoenix Jackie
Andy Impy Louise Twila Leroy

Previous

Return to TrainedParrot.com - Parrot Training Blog Comments