Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

Taming Parrot By Touching Beak

Comment or discuss articles from the trained parrot blog.

Re: Taming Parrot By Touching Beak

Postby izmail1215 » Sun Sep 12, 2010 9:38 am

very nice my parrot bites sometime ill try that i never got bitten but i guss i have to get bit sooner or later so now it the time.
God gives and forgives. Man gets and forgets.
izmail1215
Parrotlet

Number of Birds Owned: 1
Types of Birds Owned: Yellow naped amazon
Flight: Yes

Postby Titanius » Fri Sep 17, 2010 10:20 pm

I tried "copping a feel" of Diamond's beak and she just gave me a weird look and went about her business of bowing her head for more scratches. It was awkward. :lol: Is this more for larger beaked birds?
Titanius
Conure

Number of Birds Owned: 2
Types of Birds Owned: Cockatiel

Postby Lulu » Tue Mar 27, 2012 1:44 pm

I know I am posting this several years since the last post, but I found this article interesting since touching my parrots beak is exactually how I got my bird comfortable with letting me touch her.

One of the posts interested me about the bird that would reach down and bite the arm or the finger. In these situations it is never good to punish the parrot by returning it to its cage or retract your hand or yell at the parrot. This sort of behavior will reaffirm the parrot in a biting behavior. If you show fear in getting bitten the parrot will recognize this and take advantage of the fact.

The best things to do in these circumstances from my expirence are one of the following. If the bird reaches down to give you a nip or a bite while it is sitting on your hand or arm then move the hand or arm that the parrot is sitting on up and down. This will distract the parrot and cause it to focus on regaining its balance or flap it's wings. When ever the parrot has stopped the desired behavior then reassure the parrot with positive reinforcement or praise by saying "good bird".

The other technique is to bring your opposite hand up near the birds head and twiddle your fingers. This is also a good way to distract your bird and stop it from biting. Always be calm and use a calm and soothing voice and reaffirm good behavior with praise.

Anyways... I hope this helps anyone who is having this problem and hope it helps Parrots connect with their owners to get as much play time out of their cages as possible.
Lulu
Parakeet

Types of Birds Owned: Lilac Crowned Amazon
Flight: No

Postby denden22 » Sun Jun 17, 2012 2:10 pm

hi guys ive been doing this for 2 weeks now touching the beak is ok but if i go to touch his head he goes mad does it take a while for him to let you touch anywhere else thanks dennis :gray:
denden22
Parakeet

Types of Birds Owned: cango african grey parrot

Postby snickers » Wed Jun 20, 2012 7:10 am

I can't wait to try this. Iam fostering a triton cockatoo who is deathly afraid of me. I have had him now for 25 days, their has been some progress he doesnt try and get away from me like he did but he has yet stepped up on me. I know this takes time. He was with his previous owner for 12 years and his owner now has parkinson and couldnt take care of him. I just wonder sometimes what the bird thinks, like why did my owner get rid of me. I look at ti ti and feel bad for him knowing that he doesnt understand. I will let you know how the beak touching works.
snickers
Parakeet

Number of Birds Owned: 6
Types of Birds Owned: 4 cockatiels, 1 african grey, 1 triton cockatoo

Postby Ashleigh253 » Wed Feb 17, 2016 2:25 am

Hi Michael,
Thanks for the beautiful tip. I just have a quick question, baby parrot Ive got wast weaned probably as what the breeder said and he hasnt been eating at all hence avain vet told me to crop feeding him. Since Ive crop feeding him, he is deadly scared of my fingers. If my fingers are around, he makes the go away sort of sound and will come and attack them. Ive tried to leave my fingers where they are and he drew blood out of me. He is an Alexandrine so his beak are much bigger and stronger compared to my Indian ringneck. Ive tried this beak technique for the last 3 days but he bites hard still. If we are after the crop feeding session, he isnt prone to bite ut any other time, cant come near him.

Would you suggest:
1. He is scared of my fingers now
2. He is coming towars me all the time and bobbing his head like a baby rather than vicious but if I put my fingers out he bites the hell out of it. Does that sound he come near me to attack me on purpose?

Thanksssss
Ashleigh253
Parrotlet

Number of Birds Owned: 2
Types of Birds Owned: Patchie - Lutino Indian Ringneck
T-Rex - Alexandrine

Postby Michael » Wed Feb 17, 2016 1:39 pm

The beak technique shown here only works for totally tame/not scared birds only. It is just a way to get them to come around to someone new. It's just a way I play with birds I know are friendly and could easily warm up to me and this is just a way to do it. For a bird that outright bites and isn't tame yet, this definitely is not the way to go. Then you want to look into positive reinforcement training. For example clicker/target stick method for teaching the bird to come to you, step up, etc.
Michael
Macaw

Number of Birds Owned: 3
Types of Birds Owned: Senegal Parrot, Cape Parrot, Green-Winged Macaw

Postby liz » Wed Feb 17, 2016 6:19 pm

Myrtle was one when I got her and was terrified of everything. After about a year I was Mom but it wasn't until I had her 4 years that she put her head down for me to scratch it. She only allows head scratches when she is hormonal but I can do anything else. She spends a lot of time being a clothing accessory.
liz
Macaw

Number of Birds Owned: 12
Types of Birds Owned: DYH Amazon Rambo
BF Amazon Myrtle
Cockatiels: Shadow Tammy Flutter Phoenix Jackie
Andy Impy Louise Twila Leroy

Previous

Return to TrainedParrot.com - Parrot Training Blog Comments