Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

Kili the Senegal Parrot's Molt and New Pin Feathers

Comment or discuss articles from the trained parrot blog.

Postby Michael » Tue Sep 14, 2010 3:02 pm

Things are going kind of slow with the parrots as one is injured and the other is molting. I describe the molt process a little and then share photos/video of how Kili's molt is progressing. I give an up close view of her good and bad wings and show a pin feather. You can get a rare opportunity to hear a parrot purr if you pay close attention to the video.
Michael
Macaw

Number of Birds Owned: 3
Types of Birds Owned: Senegal Parrot, Cape Parrot, Green-Winged Macaw
Flight: Yes

Re: Kili the Senegal Parrot's Molt and New Pin Feathers

Postby ginger » Tue Sep 14, 2010 3:17 pm

I love listening to her purring. How cute. Her feathers look fantastic. I'm glad you're giving her a break from all the other types of food and using the nutritional value in the pellets to help with the feather growth. The pin feather close-up is really great to see. I usually put on my reading glasses (just one of those things you have to deal with when age sets in) and look closely at the pins that the birds can't reach around the head, neck and face. If the pins aren't blood feathers, and the feather is sticking out of the sheath, then I roll them and even pinch the tip of the shaft with my nails to help start it cracking. My birds seem to really enjoy that. Thanks for letting us know that Kili is doing well. I hope Truman's recovery is still on track. Poor guy.
ginger
Conure

Number of Birds Owned: 9
Types of Birds Owned: 1 Congo African Grey, 8 Senegals, 1 Bare-eyed Cockatoo,
lots of cockatiels, 2 lovebirds, and a few parakeets. :)
Flight: No

Return to TrainedParrot.com - Parrot Training Blog Comments