Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

Helicopter Buzzing Parrots and Bath Time in Aviary

Comment or discuss articles from the trained parrot blog.

Postby Michael » Fri Sep 17, 2010 5:41 pm

Just some maintenance videos to share some recent events with the parrots. My brother flies a toy helicopter past the birds and then I have them in the aviary checking out their new toys and bath.
Michael
Macaw

Number of Birds Owned: 3
Types of Birds Owned: Senegal Parrot, Cape Parrot, Green-Winged Macaw
Flight: Yes

Re: Helicopter Buzzing Parrots and Bath Time in Aviary

Postby ginger » Fri Sep 17, 2010 5:58 pm

Too funny! They are so cute with that helicopter. You're right, flighted birds have nothing to fear. The birds look like they love that aviary, so after all the headache you had putting the thing together it was worth it afterall. Great videos!

btw - your brother looks so much like you :)
ginger
Conure

Number of Birds Owned: 9
Types of Birds Owned: 1 Congo African Grey, 8 Senegals, 1 Bare-eyed Cockatoo,
lots of cockatiels, 2 lovebirds, and a few parakeets. :)
Flight: No

Postby GooseBlossom » Fri Sep 17, 2010 7:15 pm

They look so curious about the helicopter though with different expressions on their faces.

I am curious to know if you take down and rehang the toys in the aviary with each playtiime. Since it is outside, how do the toys not get dirty?
GooseBlossom
Cockatiel

Number of Birds Owned: 1
Types of Birds Owned: Blue Peach-Faced Lovebird

Postby Michael » Fri Sep 17, 2010 7:59 pm

There is a roof over the aviary. I haven't changed the toys yet. I suppose I'll have to eventually but so far they haven't gotten affected from being outside. If I had to take them on and off each time it would be too annoying and I probably wouldn't do more than one or two at a time. I'll try to see how long these toys last outside and report back when the weather gets them.
Michael
Macaw

Postby HyperD » Sat Sep 18, 2010 3:21 am

Isn't that a bit dangerous?

What were to happen if Kili was to take flight and attack the helicopter? Or to dive bomb it when it was near Truman?

I can't help but imagine that if it was someone else doing this you would be quick to criticise them?
HyperD
Poicephalus

Types of Birds Owned: 1 Senegal

Postby Michael » Sat Sep 18, 2010 7:38 am

Alright, let me give you some background beyond the video. First of all we've done this several times before (actually the first few times had nothing to do with the birds at all but they just happened to be in the room). Next, the toy is really quite painless. It looks/sounds powerful but if you throw a finger in the blades not only won't you get cut but it doesn't even hurt. This really is made to be a little kids' toy and isn't dangerous. Finally, Truman did actually get hit twice by it and didn't care. Normally when we were just messing around it wouldn't have happened but we were trying to get it really close for the video just so that you could see both in the same shot. Once it just nicked Truman on his perch and he didn't fly off or seem to care one bit. The second time Truman was on a different perch and decided to fly and like dive bomb it and hit it mid air. Once again, didn't really hurt him or the helicopter. Even after getting hit, he wasn't scared of it and still wanted to chew it up.

Believe me, if it were actually dangerous (and some of my other ones definitely are), I would not have done it anywhere near the birds or with them out of the cage for that matter. But since this is really quite harmless (which was accidentally confirmed as well), we let the birds watch when we fly it around the room. It's kind of fun to watch their reactions when they aren't the only flyers around. :lol:
Michael
Macaw

Postby izmail1215 » Sat Sep 18, 2010 8:02 am

woah! your a pro at flying!
God gives and forgives. Man gets and forgets.
izmail1215
Parrotlet

Types of Birds Owned: Yellow naped amazon

Postby 67gtonut » Sat Sep 18, 2010 4:08 pm

HyperD wrote:Isn't that a bit dangerous?

What were to happen if Kili was to take flight and attack the helicopter? Or to dive bomb it when it was near Truman?

I can't help but imagine that if it was someone else doing this you would be quick to criticise them?

I agree......

One slip..... you may not kill your pet..... but you just might maim him/her.... not worth the risk.

IMHO..... poor judgement.
67gtonut
Parakeet

Types of Birds Owned: Senegal
Flight: No

Return to TrainedParrot.com - Parrot Training Blog Comments