Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

Truman Tameness Progress Update

Comment or discuss articles from the trained parrot blog.

Postby Michael » Thu Sep 30, 2010 9:04 pm

Truman has achieved a tameness similar to Kili's and I wanted to share that with you. I included a video to show the tricks he knows up till this point and demonstrate his tameness. See how I hold him by the beak, a trick I can't even do with Kili.
Michael
Macaw

Number of Birds Owned: 3
Types of Birds Owned: Senegal Parrot, Cape Parrot, Green-Winged Macaw
Flight: Yes

Re: Truman Tameness Progress Update

Postby Azure Hanyo » Thu Sep 30, 2010 9:08 pm

Awesome video. OK... Galileo would KILL ME if I tried to do these things. I have been working with her a lot every day and so far she lets me scratch her head, grab her beak, and she has recently let me flip her upside-down on a finger. But this...

Wow. I am amazed.
Azure Hanyo
Amazon

Postby GooseBlossom » Thu Sep 30, 2010 9:12 pm

Such a good boy! Truman is so comfortable and cooperative! I'm fascinated by what you've accomplished with him in what seems to me a relatively short period of time.
GooseBlossom
Cockatiel

Number of Birds Owned: 1
Types of Birds Owned: Blue Peach-Faced Lovebird

Postby sidech » Thu Sep 30, 2010 9:58 pm

After seeing you do some of these things with Kili (not the tricks, the handling), I started doing it with Zoulou, and it is going well. I hope I can do as well as you and Truman.
sidech
Poicephalus

Types of Birds Owned: Red Sided Eclectus

Postby JadeW » Wed Oct 13, 2010 2:47 pm

I'm so impressed! I've been wondering for a while now how you work tameness into your birds. But looking back on how long you've had Truman and how often you must work with him... Wow, that's a -lot- of time and effort you've put into those birds. I'm tempted to work on my tiel's tameness through flooding, but I'm a bit wary about him associating a negative experience with me... Clearly can be done though as is evidenced by your lovely little birds :thumbsup:
Michele and Cas <3
JadeW
Cockatiel

Types of Birds Owned: Cockatiel
Flight: No

Postby Michael » Wed Oct 13, 2010 3:04 pm

Please don't think I exclusively use flooding. I do use it as a way of getting the birds used to some of these things but I also couple negative and positive reinforcement. I negatively reinforce the cessation of struggle/fighting back. I also use positive reinforcement such as treats, scratches, attention, toys, and carrying over to a fun place. So I am not strictly relying on "breaking" the bird. I make it a good experience but I "just do it" to get things going. I start with short durations at first and increase later. I try to keep it just short enough that the bird does not even get the opportunity to struggle and then I can reward for not resisting. Thus in a way I am shaping the tame behavior.
Michael
Macaw

Number of Birds Owned: 3
Types of Birds Owned: Senegal Parrot, Cape Parrot, Green-Winged Macaw

Postby JadeW » Fri Oct 15, 2010 11:56 am

Ah, that definitely makes more sense! 'Shaping' the birds behaviours seems a much better choice of word then 'flooding'. Keeping it fun and enjoyable for the bird is the most important aspect of any kind of training. Still, as a beginner trainer I'm remarkably impressed to see the results of your tameness training. Much the same way you harness trained Kili, I believe~
Michele and Cas <3
JadeW
Cockatiel

Types of Birds Owned: Cockatiel
Flight: No

Return to TrainedParrot.com - Parrot Training Blog Comments