Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

Basics of Parrot Taming and Training - Complete Guide

Comment or discuss articles from the trained parrot blog.

Re: Basics of Parrot Taming and Training - Complete Guide

Postby Pajarita » Mon Nov 25, 2019 10:38 am

Welcome to the forum! I am a bit confused... if the bird gets on you, it is stepping up. Babies don't really require any training to step up, they WANT to get on us so all we need to do is put our hand in front of their chest and they will climb up (especially when they see the feeding syringe in our hand :lol: ). At 12 weeks old, you have a VERY young baby in your hands so it is possible that it's hard for it to step up with any type of grace, yet. A 12 week old baby would not have left the nest in the wild so it does not yet need a whole lot of balance or mobility... I know they look as if they were almost all grown but they are not, they are babies - and they will continue to be babies until they are six months old when they turn into juveniles.

What your bird needs now is handfeeding three times a day and two kinds of soft food served warm and fresh twice a day and lots and lots and lots of love and hours and hours and hours of one-on-one - just like a human baby would need.
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Number of Birds Owned: 30
Types of Birds Owned: RoseBreasted too, CAG, DoubleYellowHead Amazon, BlueFront Amazon, YellowNape Amazon, Senegal, African Redbelly, Quaker, Sun Conure, Nanday, BlackCap Caique, WhiteBelly Caique, PeachFace lovebird, budgies,
Flight: Yes

Re: Basics of Parrot Taming and Training - Complete Guide

Postby Michael » Tue Mar 16, 2021 7:29 am

evonmispets wrote:Thanks for the guide. Helped me a lot. Are there new updates on this guide?
Youcut

Yes, but not here. It’s now the 2nd edition of my book The Parrot Wizard’s Guide to Well-Behaved Parrots.
Michael
Macaw

Number of Birds Owned: 3
Types of Birds Owned: Senegal Parrot, Cape Parrot, Green-Winged Macaw
Flight: Yes

Previous

Return to TrainedParrot.com - Parrot Training Blog Comments