Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

Basics of Parrot Taming and Training - Complete Guide

Comment or discuss articles from the trained parrot blog.

Basics of Parrot Taming and Training - Complete Guide

Postby Michael » Fri Oct 22, 2010 10:32 am

Basics of Parrot Taming and Training - The Complete Step by Step Guide for Beginners

I have written the ultimate how to, step by step parrot taming and training guide. It details all the basics of taming, training, and handling a new or untrained parrot. This manual covers topics like getting the parrot into the cage for the first time, getting the parrot out of the cage for the first time, basic target training, taming for touch and handling, how to put the parrot back in the cage, and toweling. There are many pictures and videos included. Even if you are an experienced parrot owner, you'll want to check this out.

Please spread the word about it because I think it would be very helpful to all the beginner parrot owners out there. The link is very easy to remember:

http://TrainedParrot.com/Taming
Michael
Macaw

Number of Birds Owned: 3
Types of Birds Owned: Senegal Parrot, Cape Parrot, Green-Winged Macaw
Flight: Yes

Re: Basics of Parrot Taming and Training - Complete Guide

Postby born2fly » Fri Oct 22, 2010 4:16 pm

Great article for beginners. Looking back at my beginnings with parrots I can definiteyl say I made some mistakes. This will help others for sure.

By the way love your tux :D
"If man can save the parrots, he may yet save himself"
Mike Reynolds, World Parrot Trust Founder
http://www.parrots.org
:gcc: - WALL-E :redbelly: - Buddy
born2fly
Cockatiel

Number of Birds Owned: 2
Types of Birds Owned: Green Cheek Conure (M)
Red-bellied Parrot (M)

Postby entrancedbymyGCC » Fri Oct 22, 2010 4:27 pm

Nice. I'd suggest making it a sticky topic at the top of the Basic Training section of the forum.
Scooter :gcc:
Death Valley Scotty :cape:
entrancedbymyGCC
Cockatoo

Types of Birds Owned: Green Cheek Conure
(Un)Cape Parrot
Flight: No

Postby rebeccaturpeinen » Sat Oct 23, 2010 8:29 am

first: GREAT article!

i have a question though. i have been doing some training and reading this it became clear i have been making some mistakes. my bird always comes out on his own, he has always done this but i am going to try and change this and start with step one again, target training inside the cage, maybe this will improve the target training outside of the cage.

my question; when he is out of the cage, should training start straight away? i usually let him play a little. and after the training (i keep it short so he doesnt lose interest and it becomes boring) should he immediatly go back in his cage so he is basicly only out of the cage for training or is it ok for him to raom around a bit and do what he wants to do?
rebeccaturpeinen
Poicephalus

Number of Birds Owned: 1
Types of Birds Owned: Crimson Rosella

Postby skeetersunconure » Sat Oct 23, 2010 9:11 am

AWSOME AWSOME ARTICLE!!! THIS IS SOOO HELPFUL I DEFINATELY WISH THERE WAS SOMETHING LIKE THIS WHEN I FIRST GOT SKEETER! :) THAKSYOU SOO MUCH!!
skeetersunconure
Poicephalus

Types of Birds Owned: sun conure

Postby lzver » Sat Oct 23, 2010 12:36 pm

I'll be taking some time to read this thoroughly this weekend now that Kylie is home with us.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Laura's Bird World Blog - http://laurasbirdworld.blogspot.com/
Jessie - Senegal
Lucy - Red Bellied
Kylie - Meyers
lzver
Amazon

Types of Birds Owned: 1 Senegal; 1 Red-Bellied; 1 Meyers

Postby issy » Sat Oct 23, 2010 4:42 pm

Very helpful article :D
Image- Sheldon

Image- Evey
issy
Conure

Types of Birds Owned: Rainbow Lorikeet
Sun Conure

Postby Michael » Sat Oct 23, 2010 7:15 pm

rebeccaturpeinen wrote:first: GREAT article!

i have a question though. i have been doing some training and reading this it became clear i have been making some mistakes. my bird always comes out on his own, he has always done this but i am going to try and change this and start with step one again, target training inside the cage, maybe this will improve the target training outside of the cage.

my question; when he is out of the cage, should training start straight away? i usually let him play a little. and after the training (i keep it short so he doesnt lose interest and it becomes boring) should he immediatly go back in his cage so he is basicly only out of the cage for training or is it ok for him to raom around a bit and do what he wants to do?

I highly recommend having the parrot step up in order to be let out because then YOU can get credit for taking the parrot out. When you just open the door, I don't think they particularly associate that with you. But when you reach in and they step on you, they learn that stepping up for you is super awesome! It just helps with step up in general.

Actually, considering you are able to get your parrot out in the first place, I wouldn't suggest doing the training in the cage first. Start with target training in your designated "training area" until the parrot is well accustomed to being targeted. Next, practice target step up onto hand (outside cage) while still using whatever method you used before for going in/out. Then when it's already familiar with target outside the cage, you can begin using target in the cage. It will pick it up this way much quicker. They learn quicker outside the cage cause there are fewer distractions.

Once your parrot is reliable at stepping up, just remember to keep whatever happens after stepping up positive (attention, beak rubs, toys, going some place fun) and you won't have to use targeting or treats to maintain it. Especially with the fantastic reward called "coming out of cage." That's a treat in itself and step up is maintained thus.
Michael
Macaw

Types of Birds Owned: Senegal Parrot, Cape Parrot, Green-Winged Macaw

Postby oscar-and-jess » Sun Oct 24, 2010 6:18 am

I have been having great sucess over the last two days, ii have just started to train my baby lovebird oscar and he is coming along so well thanks to the article that you wrote, i want to thank you so much, he has already learnt to step up and down from his perch ot my hand and he is also doing target trainging, i did step up first because i forgot to target, but he has learnt very quickly, now i just have to get him to step up form his cage

anyway thanks a heap and i have emailed everyone who i know how has birds with the link to your site and they all love it great work

:lovebird: Oscar and Jess
Oscar and Jess
oscar-and-jess
Parakeet

Types of Birds Owned: Fischer Lovebird
Flight: No

Postby GooseBlossom » Sun Oct 24, 2010 5:29 pm

Excellent! This should become very popular.
GooseBlossom
Cockatiel

Types of Birds Owned: Blue Peach-Faced Lovebird

Next

Return to TrainedParrot.com - Parrot Training Blog Comments