Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

Basics of Parrot Taming and Training - Complete Guide

Comment or discuss articles from the trained parrot blog.

Re: Basics of Parrot Taming and Training - Complete Guide

Postby Michael » Mon Aug 12, 2013 8:34 am

When in doubt, I say take your time and target train.
Michael
Macaw

Number of Birds Owned: 3
Types of Birds Owned: Senegal Parrot, Cape Parrot, Green-Winged Macaw
Flight: Yes

Postby chickharmony » Wed Aug 28, 2013 11:18 pm

I have a 3.5 year old parrotlet. I have only had her for roughly 4 months and I adopted her from an exotic bird sanctuary. When I have tried to train her as described above but she isn't motivated by food. She could care less about millet and her favorite food is the safflower seeds in her mix so I've tried taking those out of her food and using those as treats and she isn't interested in them. She responds slightly to praise and won't let me touch her. She does step up but I'm at my wits end when it comes to training her to do anything else. Any ideas and/or advice?
chickharmony
Parakeet

Number of Birds Owned: 1
Types of Birds Owned: pacific parrotlet
Flight: No

Postby pheonix » Thu Aug 29, 2013 11:25 am

actually i am not disappointing you micheal. 2 tell the truth u hve not trained an unclipped bird. when u got kili she was clipped and truman was half trained.it is not a challenge but can u buy a cheap unclipped bird and train it?? please
pheonix
Parakeet

Number of Birds Owned: 4
Types of Birds Owned: budgies

Postby thecockateiltrainer » Sun Nov 17, 2013 4:47 pm

i have a pearl mutated cockateil that i have named "sky". she is 15 months old, and what i want to ask is this, when will she start laying eggs(she has no mate so the eggs would unfertilized)and how do i keep her healthy while this happens? ive read online that somtimes a cockateil can go through somthing called egg binding witch can kill them though i could find nothing explaining exactly what egg binding is or how to avoid it. please help!
thecockateiltrainer
Parakeet

Types of Birds Owned: cockateil

Postby henrygo » Tue Dec 10, 2013 11:39 am

Hi Michael,
i have read many of your articles and been applying it to my Dutch Blue Lovebird. It's been great thus far as i wished to keep it flighted. It's only 2months old, but i am having trouble training it to stay on my hand or on the training perch. It will fly to my shoulder most of the time.

1) is grabbing by the neck bad? (i tried to randomize, sometimes i grab because i want to put it into it's cage, sometimes i grab then i feed it.)

2) i heard about the feeding time, is lovebird same as the morning and evening feed only kind?

3) it craves to get out of its cage all the time, how did you managed to scheduled it's cage time and out of cage time effectively?

regards!
henrygo
Parakeet

Types of Birds Owned: Lovebird

Postby pheonix » Sun Dec 15, 2013 5:59 am

hi friends
i live in the middle east.the budgies there doesnt know what is a millet spray & you wont get millet sprays in the market .So could u guys tell me what else can i use as a treat
pheonix
Parakeet

Number of Birds Owned: 4
Types of Birds Owned: budgies

Postby Graeme » Mon Dec 16, 2013 9:25 pm

Hey Michael, thanks very much for this terrific site. I have ordered your book and training perches, just waiting for them to turn up.

I do have a couple of questions though and would appreciate some information

I have a 15 week old Sun Conure, he is very loving and is always eager to come out of the cage. I have been training him to step up and down and he will do this with ease when asked.

He is flighted and spends most of the day out of the cage, under supervision.

I am trying to get him to come to me when called, there is one problem, he loves it and is way to keen.
He will fly to my arm before I get a chance to call him, I would like to be able to have him stay on his perch until I call him. I feel he isn't really learning when he does it before he is asked, because he is deciding on when he will go.

He also has a habit of either landing on our heads and shoulders or likes to climb up an sit on our shoulders. Now I am not a fan of this, because I wear glasses and all he does is chew on them. I am also wary of potential injuries to the eyes and ears if he decides to get grumpy and bite hard.

So is there an easy was to dicourage him from doing the above?
Graeme
Cockatiel

Types of Birds Owned: Baby Sun Conure

Postby maridakersop » Sat Mar 29, 2014 3:56 pm

hi, thank you for all the usefull info. i bought a 1 year ol african ringneck from a petshop, and she is wild! She bites at me and is very afraid of humans. Can I still tame her or is it too late. Please can you help me.
THanx
maridakersop
Parakeet

Types of Birds Owned: africanringneck

Postby arbie » Sat Jun 14, 2014 5:21 pm

Most of the videos on the Basics page are no longer working on YouTube. Can they be reposted or available as another video format file? Thanks much for all the information.
arbie
Parakeet

Number of Birds Owned: 2
Types of Birds Owned: green cheek conure

Postby minikkus » Fri Jul 04, 2014 12:29 am

Can you please reupload the YouTube videos embedded in this page? None of them are available. Thank you.
minikkus
Parakeet

Number of Birds Owned: 2
Types of Birds Owned: Parrotlet

PreviousNext

Return to TrainedParrot.com - Parrot Training Blog Comments