Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

Basics of Parrot Taming and Training - Complete Guide

Comment or discuss articles from the trained parrot blog.

Re: Basics of Parrot Taming and Training - Complete Guide

Postby pinkswirl51 » Sun Nov 02, 2014 1:46 pm

Hi! One of my budgie eats from my hand and I have been target training it for 2 days now. It likes to be scratched. But it bites when my put my finger under its belly for stepping up :( :( :(
What should I do? And I haven't taken it out of cage. I'm scared cuz wat if it starts flying like crazy and get hurt or flies away?? Will it fly away? And how do I get it to step up without being bitten? Thnx! :budgie:
pinkswirl51
Parakeet

Number of Birds Owned: 2
Types of Birds Owned: First time owner of budgies!
Flight: Yes

Postby Wolf » Sun Nov 02, 2014 5:07 pm

It may not actually be biting, it may be using its beak like a hand and holding on to make certain that it is steady or to help it to step up. This is a very common practice among birds. If you have closed off all means of escape then it can't fly away, just close the door and any windows and it will have to remain in that room. It may fly into a few things right at first, especially if scared but it will quit doing that really fast.
Wolf
Macaw

Number of Birds Owned: 6
Types of Birds Owned: Senegal
African Grey (CAG)
Yellow Naped Amazon
2Celestial Parrotlet
Budgie

Postby Mook » Sun Feb 21, 2016 8:17 am

This is all great information. I have recently rehomed an Indian Ringneck from a family that could no longer look after him. I have had him for 4 weeks and he is 7 months old and is clearly going to need a lot of work to tame. How long should each training sessions last please?
Mook
Parakeet

Number of Birds Owned: 1
Types of Birds Owned: Indian Ringneck
Flight: No

Postby Michael » Sun Feb 21, 2016 9:38 am

As long as you AND the bird can manage. At first this won't be much. Maybe 2-5 minutes. But with practice, 10, 30, and even 60 minute sessions are possible.but in the beginning keep it short and fun. Once the bird doesn't want treats or isn't having fun, the training isn't even helping any more.
Michael
Macaw

Number of Birds Owned: 3
Types of Birds Owned: Senegal Parrot, Cape Parrot, Green-Winged Macaw

Postby khellvine » Tue Jul 12, 2016 5:35 pm

Hi am kelvin from nigeria i strted training my birds today here in my country bird rearing is not common . Not i feed my senegal and two ringnecks millet an when i started the training i found out the birds liked honey. My main question is what alternative can i use instead of a clicker and is it advisable to train all 3 parrots @ once
khellvine
Parakeet

Types of Birds Owned: a senegal two indian ringnecks

Postby Chantilly » Thu Jul 14, 2016 5:05 am

Hi kelvin and flock! Welcome to the forum.
A clicker is definately not neccasary, all it is is a noise to say 'you did well', instead of this you can click your tongue if you wish, or, what I do is say 'Good' or 'Good girl'. Whether you are making a click noise or verbally praising them, all it is doing is letting them know they did what you have asked them to do, you are proud of them and they now get a treat.
As to training them alone or together, I dont really have experience in training more than one bird at the same time/ at once- I beleive it would be easier for you if you gave the bird you were training 1 on 1 attention for its training session, put it back in its cage or bird room and then start working with the next one, giving it 1 on 1. This way not only are your birds not quarreling with eachother causing distraction for the whole flock at the time of training, but if the bird is getting your full attention and praises and happiness, it makes it a more encouraging experience for the parort, which makes it more willing for the next session.-

Best wishes with your two Ringnecks and your Senagal parrot and hopefully this helps :D
And anthough she be little, she is fierce ~Shakespeare
- Tilly & Shrek
Chantilly
Amazon

Types of Birds Owned: Cinnamon green cheek conure & Yellow Scaly x Rainbow lorikeet, Chickens & Ducks

Postby Pajarita » Thu Jul 14, 2016 10:41 am

It's always easier on the bird and the human when training is done with each bird separately. And, I am sorry but I don't think your birds 'like' honey - well, maybe they do but not because it's sweet as they cannot taste sweetness (they don't have the taste buds for it) - maybe they like the stickiness of it but doesn't it make a mess?
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Number of Birds Owned: 30
Types of Birds Owned: RoseBreasted too, CAG, DoubleYellowHead Amazon, BlueFront Amazon, YellowNape Amazon, Senegal, African Redbelly, Quaker, Sun Conure, Nanday, BlackCap Caique, WhiteBelly Caique, PeachFace lovebird, budgies,

Postby khellvine » Fri Jul 15, 2016 2:41 am

Thanks a bunch i hope this works.they don't really make a mess.am working on finding a treat for them any suggestions?
khellvine
Parakeet

Postby khellvine » Fri Jul 15, 2016 2:50 am

Also one of the ring necks lets me pet it but when i touch its wings it freaks out. Any advice?
khellvine
Parakeet

Postby Chantilly » Fri Jul 15, 2016 3:27 am

khellvine wrote:Also one of the ring necks lets me pet it but when i touch its wings it freaks out. Any advice?

This is a very normal behaivour, the wings are the birds primary source to escape a dangerous situation: fly away. So unless you have a very very very close relationship with the bird- which with ringnecks is hard to accomplish as they are such jumpy and cautious birds that are always on edge (making them a lot harder to bond with)- the bird will not want you touching its wings, as it feels it has no escape in case of danger.
In addition to this, only birds of prey grab parrots above by the wings area, so instincually being touched in that area will normally cause a parrot to get scared as they see it as a potentially life threatening situation. :thumbsup:
And anthough she be little, she is fierce ~Shakespeare
- Tilly & Shrek
Chantilly
Amazon

Types of Birds Owned: Cinnamon green cheek conure & Yellow Scaly x Rainbow lorikeet, Chickens & Ducks

PreviousNext

Return to TrainedParrot.com - Parrot Training Blog Comments