Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

How to Train Parrot Big Eagle Show Your Wings Trick

Comment or discuss articles from the trained parrot blog.

Postby Michael » Wed Dec 15, 2010 12:44 pm

Article about how to teach your parrot to show its wings on cue, often called the Big Eagle. This free article includes step by step instructions how to teach the trick as well as photos/video of what to do. Teach your parrot to proudly show off its wings to impress friends and family.
Michael
Macaw

Number of Birds Owned: 3
Types of Birds Owned: Senegal Parrot, Cape Parrot, Green-Winged Macaw
Flight: Yes

Re: How to Train Parrot Big Eagle Show Your Wings Trick

Postby born2fly » Thu Dec 16, 2010 11:45 pm

Michael I started training this trick and I am running to two problems. One when I use two fingers to open the wings my GCC will bite, second when I use one finger he'll open or try to step up. One winged eagle doesn't look cool any suggestions. May I add that normally he'll let me handle with no issues
"If man can save the parrots, he may yet save himself"
Mike Reynolds, World Parrot Trust Founder
http://www.parrots.org
:gcc: - WALL-E :redbelly: - Buddy
born2fly
Cockatiel

Number of Birds Owned: 2
Types of Birds Owned: Green Cheek Conure (M)
Red-bellied Parrot (M)

Postby Michael » Fri Dec 17, 2010 2:20 am

Biting or nipping? If it's vicious biting then you're either going too far and hurting the bird, it's uncomfortable with wings being touched, or something like that. Make sure you use taming techniques like in toweling and handling articles to be able to touch wings on outside and to open them manually. If you can do all of that and the parrot is just nipping, then it's not so hard. Truman was nippy sometimes too. I talked about it a little where I said he was bending his head down to look for treats in my fingers. Basically I tried to distract him and/or lock his head upward by using my thumbs to prevent him from bending his head down to look for treats. You can use a bit more shaping to aim where the position of head/body should be. If your parrot is uncomfortable with shaping, then you are way ahead of yourself because this is a pretty advanced trick.

Let me know if that helps or if there are any more details about it.
Michael
Macaw

Postby born2fly » Sat Dec 18, 2010 3:30 pm

Normally I can do whatever I want with him but it seems that for some reason he doesn't like two hands going at him. I started using one hand with "rock on" gesture you are using in the video and it seem to work better and he doesn't try to step up with that.
"If man can save the parrots, he may yet save himself"
Mike Reynolds, World Parrot Trust Founder
http://www.parrots.org
:gcc: - WALL-E :redbelly: - Buddy
born2fly
Cockatiel

Types of Birds Owned: Green Cheek Conure (M)
Red-bellied Parrot (M)

Postby idlepirate » Sun Dec 19, 2010 7:51 am

Same problem as born2fly, my bird keeps trying to step up or try go for my nails that I cant even get to his wings. Tried the "dropping" method too but he also just flaps. I can manage to get him to lift his wings slightly when i tap them from underneath. When hes relaxed and preening and im sorting out some pinfeathers for him he has no problem with me lifting his wings and handling him anywhere. Just when it comes to training he puts up a bit of a fight for me to lift his wings without nipping. This is why Im stuck with the aviator now as well as I can get it over his neck and all but the moment it comes to lifting his wings he refuses again.
Been trying to work out this trick for ages and Ill get there slowly, as always your videos always help big time, been waiting for this one. Many thanks for all the help and advice :pirate:
idlepirate
Conure

Number of Birds Owned: 1
Types of Birds Owned: Blue Throated Conure

Postby Michael » Sun Dec 19, 2010 8:41 am

Try pointing in from the sides with both index fingers. Since you are using two it may confuse the parrot a little bit and get you to do it. The nippiness may go away with practice/repetition so don't give up. Most parrots tend to beak anything put in front of them so as long as they aren't painful bites, just ignore and keep trying.
Michael
Macaw

Postby idlepirate » Wed Dec 22, 2010 8:56 pm

Thank Michael for the advice, Ive been working with Lorenzo everyday throughout the day with this trick and its getting better. I try the 2 fingers from each side approach like you said and it helps a bit but he somehow still picks a finger to try grab with his foot hehe. Somehow im finding him responding better if hes stepped up already on my fingers and then with the other hand tapping his wings or trying to get under them. Poor little guy is trying frantically to work out what i want him to do but if i manage to tap his wings up he always stretches his shoulders up all by himself (The wimpy wings) which is a great start. not sure if hes actually just stretching or if he knows i want him to do it.also trying to catch him when he stretches or is about to fly as he has his wings fully outstretched sometimes.
idlepirate
Conure

Types of Birds Owned: Blue Throated Conure

Postby MandyG » Thu Dec 23, 2010 10:11 am

When I taught a version of this trick to Mojo he was more interested in chewing on my fingers than lifting his wings. I used both index fingers when I trained him. When he would focus on one finger I would touch under his wing with the opposite one which would distract him causing to focus on that finger and then I'd touch with the other one and this usually caused him to slightly open his wings. It took a lot of patience, many repitions, and well timed clicks but as soon as he realized what I was clicking for all I had to do was point at his wings with both fingers and he would open them slightly. Once he mastered that I started touching under his wings more to encourage him to open them a little more and we slowly progressed that way. The hardest part for him was transitioning between opening his wings like Truman does in the video to fully extending the wings. It took a lot of patience because he rarely wanted to open his wings completely but I made such a fuss over him every time he did it that it didn't take too long for him to figure it out. Now it's his favorite trick!
MandyG
Amazon

Types of Birds Owned: Yellow Crowned Amazon

Postby Cockatielsongs » Tue Jul 10, 2012 9:56 pm

I've tried using my two index fingers but he would just bite the moment I touch his wings, normally he would let me touch him without biting. I tried the dropping method but he would just flap his wings. When he bites it's not hard enough to draw blood what so ever but it still hurts :(
Note: My bird is quite tame and usually doesn't mind me touching him... :greycockatiel:
Bandit - Rose Breasted Cockatoo
Cockatielsongs
Conure

Types of Birds Owned: Rose Breasted Cockatoo
Flight: No

Postby barkha alisha » Sun Jan 12, 2014 3:37 am

help my ringnecks dont want to stay on table or floor they always gets uncomfortable and IF only if they adjust there i give them something to eat but they rejact plzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz help me micheal :irn: :irn: :irn: :irn:
birdie pie !3 @r1<!-!@
barkha alisha
Parrotlet

Types of Birds Owned: ring neck birds
Flight: No

Return to TrainedParrot.com - Parrot Training Blog Comments