Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

How to Properly Clip a Parrot's Wings (Don't Clip at All)

Comment or discuss articles from the trained parrot blog.

Re: How to Properly Clip a Parrot's Wings (Don't Clip at All)

Postby JessiMuse » Mon Nov 02, 2015 8:06 pm

Yeah, he hasn't really flown in over a year. I have seen cases where birds who couldn't fly in a long time, eventually DID regain their flight ability (I can refer you to one of these stories, if you want). I am hoping that Dudley will regain that ability as well, but if he can't, I'll be happy to accommodate for it. :)
JessiMuse
Conure

Number of Birds Owned: 2
Types of Birds Owned: Pionus, Cockatiel, dove, mannikin finch
Flight: Yes

Postby Pajarita » Tue Nov 03, 2015 11:56 am

One year is nothing. You can easily undo the damage (there are studies that tell us that muscles begin to deteriorate after only 40 days of non-flight). When I said a long time, I meant years and years (I have a parrot that has not flown once in his entire life and another one that hasn't done it in, at least, 30 years). And you will forgive me if I don't believe every story there is on the net about birds and what people do or not do with them... if there is one thing that I do believe is that people lie through their teeth trying to appear better, wiser, more knowledgeable, etc than others. It's very easy to lie on the internet.
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Number of Birds Owned: 30
Types of Birds Owned: RoseBreasted too, CAG, DoubleYellowHead Amazon, BlueFront Amazon, YellowNape Amazon, Senegal, African Redbelly, Quaker, Sun Conure, Nanday, BlackCap Caique, WhiteBelly Caique, PeachFace lovebird, budgies,

Postby GreenWing » Tue Nov 24, 2015 12:02 pm

Never clip. Clipping is handicapping the bird. It's like removing a person's legs! How do people not get this concept?

Clipping is THE reason why many birds pluck, self-mutilate and are frustrated and depressed. Never clip, people. Don't keep a bird if you're going to change its body, as it is meant to be.
GreenWing
African Grey

Number of Birds Owned: 1
Types of Birds Owned: Congo African Grey ♥

Postby ParrotsForLife » Tue Nov 24, 2015 2:14 pm

GreenWing wrote:Never clip. Clipping is handicapping the bird. It's like removing a person's legs! How do people not get this concept?

Clipping is THE reason why many birds pluck, self-mutilate and are frustrated and depressed. Never clip, people. Don't keep a bird if you're going to change its body, as it is meant to be.

I dont like clipping either and as much as I dont like it ill disagree there its not like cutting somebody's legs because a human without legs cant walk but a clipped bird can still fly low if clipped properly and actually cutting a birds legs would be like cutting a humans legs lol.(Not really they need their legs as hands too.)
ParrotsForLife
African Grey

Number of Birds Owned: 5
Types of Birds Owned: Rocko and Loki, Cockatiels
Mango, Plum headed parakeet
Tiko, African grey, Oscar, BFA

Postby JessiMuse » Wed Nov 25, 2015 1:43 pm

While I don't like clipping, I would have to disagree with the "cutting off a person's legs" thing.

Clipping involves cutting the feathers. Birds molt, and new feathers grow back. Unlike feathers, human legs don't grow back.

However, there is something that is done to larger migratory species, known as "pinioning". They basically remove part of the wing, permanently revoking the ability of flight. In my opinion, THAT is equivalent to cutting one's leg off.

WARNING: this image may seem highly disturbing to some people. Viewer discretion is advised.
JessiMuse
Conure

Number of Birds Owned: 2
Types of Birds Owned: Pionus, Cockatiel, dove, mannikin finch

Postby ParrotsForLife » Wed Nov 25, 2015 2:14 pm

Pioning is just beyond clipping seriously birds were given a gift to fly and pioning destroys that gift for life.And clipping is Temporarily destroys that gift.I dont like clipping but I have done it for good reasons and if I do clip I only do it once like I clipped Rocko and Loki but never again and they are both fully flighted now and will never be clipped.Tiko was clipped 7 years ago she was flying crazy hitting the Tv and everything could have smashed it and hurt her wing badly so we got her clipped I was 8 or 9 at the time and my mam wouldn't have known how to clip and dont think she does now.She cant even watch a bird being clipped.That day when I was gonna clip Mango my mam didn't wanna be in the room and my mam wouldn't have clipped Tiko herself because she thinks she would remember and probably never forgive her.
ParrotsForLife
African Grey

Number of Birds Owned: 5
Types of Birds Owned: Rocko and Loki, Cockatiels
Mango, Plum headed parakeet
Tiko, African grey, Oscar, BFA

Previous

Return to TrainedParrot.com - Parrot Training Blog Comments