Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

Truman's New Climbing Tree

Comment or discuss articles from the trained parrot blog.

Re: Truman's New Climbing Tree

Postby Marsha » Wed Jul 18, 2012 3:59 am

Nice to know my tree is also an inspiration ;) Thanks.
The way I keep my tree clean is very simple. With my tree the branches dont really overlap so they dont poop on their branches alot but they do offcourse clean their beaks on the branches.
What I do is just hot water (with a little eucalyptus sometimes) and a sponse and I scrub, scrub, scrub and all dirt gets off real easy.
Every once in a while I will also take down all the ropes and give them a bath too, offcourse the toys get cleaned alot more.
I made a bottom myself for the tree with woodchips for all the birdpoop which is easy to clean, but if you dont have a bottom you can always use one of those mats which you normally use for under your desk chairs.
:eclectus:Phoenix & Phantom + Skull :cape:
Marsha
Lovebird

Number of Birds Owned: 3
Types of Birds Owned: Eclectus & Cape Parrot
Flight: No

Postby Jenny » Mon Jul 23, 2012 12:45 pm

I'm a DIY dud, so this may be a dumb question, but what did you use to meld the individual branches together (they look seamless)? If the answer is a trade secret or something, I'll wait & just purchase a tree from you when they're available!! ;) :D
Jenny
Poicephalus

Number of Birds Owned: 2
Types of Birds Owned: cockatiel
white-capped pionus
Flight: Yes

Postby Seth » Mon Jul 23, 2012 1:09 pm

Just curious, where did you find all of those java perches? Especially the one you used as a base. We have a tough time finding extensive quantities of perches of that quality for medium and small sized birds here in Pittsburgh, PA.

Also, what was the total cost to you? You mentioned it was cheaper, but what was the total cost? If you used a dozen or more branches bought from retail stores at the prices we pay in Pittsburgh, that could have easily cost over $200 (still cheaper and better for the bird than buying a ready to go stand or tree).

As an aside. Thank you for your site. With your advice and articles we have already trained our green cheek conures to perform several tricks and have been able to successfully flight train them. :gcc:
Seth
Parrotlet

Number of Birds Owned: 3
Types of Birds Owned: green cheek conure
canary

Postby OlgaTobin » Wed Sep 19, 2012 10:05 am

Michael,

I love the article and the video. Joe and I would love to see the new tree! When are you going to invite us over? :-) Your whole blog is pretty incredible! I think I'm going to have to order some shirts!

Best, Olga
OlgaTobin
Parakeet

Number of Birds Owned: 0

Postby Subha » Thu Oct 02, 2014 12:53 pm

Hello

I am trying to fashion something like this for my quaker from wood from my front yard tree that was taken down. What is the best way to fashion two pieces together? What kind of screws did you use to connect wood to wood? Thanks!
Subha
Parakeet

Number of Birds Owned: 1
Types of Birds Owned: quaker
Flight: No

Postby JessiMuse » Fri Jan 01, 2016 4:58 pm

My apologies for bringing up an old, old topic, but I find this to be a clever idea. :) I'm not a good builder, so I'm hoping to at least find a parrot tree or "playground" under a reasonable price. Out of all the cockatiels I've had over the year, Lucy is by far the most mischievous, and isn't satisfied by just one toy. When you have a bird that thinks everything is meant to be a toy for her alone, you have a bird that gets jealous if you have something she doesn't. So in result, she tries to "play" with whatever I have in my hands.

Not only that, but the cage isn't big enough to put a whole bunch of toys in (I plan on getting something bigger)' so having something like a climbing tree or play stand to put toys on would be convenient. I would ultimately love to have something like this so my pionus can be out of the cage more often, once he learns to play with toys (still working on that).

If you're still planning on producing a line of affordable parrot trees, I hope you at least make some in different sizes. Space is somewhat limited here, and I don't think a couple of cockatiels or a white capped pionus would need something that's fit for a much larger bird.
JessiMuse
Conure

Number of Birds Owned: 2
Types of Birds Owned: Pionus, Cockatiel, dove, mannikin finch

Previous

Return to TrainedParrot.com - Parrot Training Blog Comments