Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

So You Want a Cape Parrot? Review of Cape Parrots as Pets

Comment or discuss articles from the trained parrot blog.

Re: So You Want a Cape Parrot? Review of Cape Parrots as Pets

Postby Pajarita » Mon May 09, 2016 10:13 am

There are calm cockatoos but, in my personal experience (I have one and had another one in the past), they are sad, sad birds. Linus is pretty calm. He hardly ever screams and, when he does, is not even that loud, he never bites, never goes after your feet, etc but he is also completely plucked and a scaredy cat of a bird that needs months and months to get used to any new thing. I would much rather had a pain in the neck Freddy than a sad Linus...
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Number of Birds Owned: 30
Types of Birds Owned: RoseBreasted too, CAG, DoubleYellowHead Amazon, BlueFront Amazon, YellowNape Amazon, Senegal, African Redbelly, Quaker, Sun Conure, Nanday, BlackCap Caique, WhiteBelly Caique, PeachFace lovebird, budgies,
Flight: Yes

Postby lideys » Tue Nov 01, 2016 1:15 am

Hi,

I'm looking for a Cape Parrot too. Do you mind to share where did you buy yours? If you prefer, please answer me by email.

Regards,
lideys
Parakeet

Number of Birds Owned: 3
Types of Birds Owned: Amazons, African Grey and Golden Conure

Postby Cathy04 » Wed Nov 16, 2016 11:44 pm

Thanks for sharing, so interesting topic :swaying: :hatching: :violin:
Coconut oil is the healthiest oil on earth!
Cathy04
Parakeet

Number of Birds Owned: 2
Types of Birds Owned: love birds

Postby Navre » Thu Nov 17, 2016 10:07 am

We have a male cape parrot at the rescue. He is very smart, is an escape artist, and is very friendly to people and seems tolerant of other birds when they do something like land on his cage. He's also a good flyer. He manages to fly around in a small room, avoiding (disabled) ceiling fans and such.

I literally cut him out of a filthy cage. He had no water. I don't know how he had survived

Of all the birds I took out of cages that day, the cape was the only one who came toward me, rather than running away.
Navre
African Grey

Number of Birds Owned: 2
Types of Birds Owned: Turquoise Green Cheek Conure
Hooded Parrot

Postby Anton » Wed Feb 23, 2022 4:37 am

Let me be clear, Truman is not a Cape Parrot.

There is only one Cape parrot or parrot that comes from the "Cape" of Southern Africa and that is Poicephalus robustus.

Truman is a brown-necked parrot, Poicephalus fuscicollis fuscicollis or depending his age one of the other subspecies of P fuscicollis.

The highly endangerd Cape parrot is not available in America or in the pet bird trade generally.

Yes generalisations can be dangerous but often help us understand in broad terms the various possibilities individuals could possess. However generalisations about a species with the wrong ID are completely unhelpful.

We need to comply with International nomenclature of birds, that goes without saying but to confuse common names across borders is just as confusing. It might be less so if the species in question was an American native however this is not the case so it's just pointless.

There are no Cape parrots in America. In fact to make this point those that are called such by Americans are refered to in nomenclature as unCape parrots. Makes it pretty clear to me.
Anton
Parakeet

Number of Birds Owned: 0

Postby Michael » Wed Feb 23, 2022 8:30 am

This post was made before there was any change just like this bird was hatched before that too.
Michael
Macaw

Number of Birds Owned: 3
Types of Birds Owned: Senegal Parrot, Cape Parrot, Green-Winged Macaw

Previous

Return to TrainedParrot.com - Parrot Training Blog Comments