Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

Las Vegas rescue

Place to share personal stories, pictures and videos of your parrot.

Las Vegas rescue

Postby Pajarita » Wed May 24, 2017 10:07 am

An article and a short video of a rescue group in Las Vegas and they seem to have real good intentions but I don't know if I misunderstood or what but is it possible that they charge $450 for a GCC's adoption? That can't be right, can it? I was also surprised that they seem to be keeping the birds in a living room - why not make it into a nice birdroom? Because, in Vegas, they would need powerful humidifiers running all year round and that's not good for furniture...

https://www.reviewjournal.com/local/sou ... ulfilling/
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Number of Birds Owned: 30
Types of Birds Owned: RoseBreasted too, CAG, DoubleYellowHead Amazon, BlueFront Amazon, YellowNape Amazon, Senegal, African Redbelly, Quaker, Sun Conure, Nanday, BlackCap Caique, WhiteBelly Caique, PeachFace lovebird, budgies,
Flight: Yes

Re: Las Vegas rescue

Postby Bird woman » Mon May 29, 2017 10:48 am

I never see any outside spaces in most of these places let alone proper lighting. Did you know that when a bird preens the oil on there feathers turns to vitamin D with the sunshine and then when they preen again they injest it. FOOD FOR THOUGHT ! :thumbsup: BW
Bird woman
Amazon

Number of Birds Owned: 10
Types of Birds Owned: 2 mollucans, 2 LSC'S, 2 macaws, 1 bare-eye, 1 grey, 1 goffin and max the quaker

Postby Navre » Mon May 29, 2017 1:36 pm

I think our conures are usually $180. We try to make prices 1/4 to 1/3 of what retail would be.
Navre
African Grey

Number of Birds Owned: 2
Types of Birds Owned: Turquoise Green Cheek Conure
Hooded Parrot

Postby Pajarita » Tue May 30, 2017 9:23 am

And that's the way it should be, John! It's hard enough convincing people to adopt instead of buying a baby but, if you charge even more than what a baby would go for, nobody is going to do it! Now, don't misunderstand me, I do know that vetting them is expensive but, let's face it, most rescues don't really vet that well, if they vet at all...
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Types of Birds Owned: RoseBreasted too, CAG, DoubleYellowHead Amazon, BlueFront Amazon, YellowNape Amazon, Senegal, African Redbelly, Quaker, Sun Conure, Nanday, BlackCap Caique, WhiteBelly Caique, PeachFace lovebird, budgies,

Postby Navre » Tue May 30, 2017 9:36 am

We quarantine and vet when they come in. I think they try to get a relinquish fee of $100 per bird. We have a vet come out. She does the basics, draws blood, does grams stains and checks for communicable diseases. They're doing some individual blood work on each bird, too. She does nails and beaks if necessary. I'm sure that just about eats up the $100. I want to do a DNA sexing of each bird when they come in if it is not already known, but we are not doing that yet. I'm quite sure we lose money on small birds. We vet budgies the same as macaws. Budgies have no adoption fee, Macaws can be $600.

When you adopt from us you agree to have the bird checked at your avian vet. (If you're going to use our vet, who does house calls, you can have it done by her before the bird leaves.) Even if the bird was vetted a few months previously, we want to make sure you have an avian vet and have a relationship with the vet.
Navre
African Grey

Hooded Parrot

Postby Pajarita » Wed May 31, 2017 10:19 am

Sheesh, if your vet charges only $100 for an exam, gram stains, CBC and a couple of contagious diseases test, she is super cheap! I pay that just to get an exam and a CBC! And, yes, of course the rescue loses money! All the good ones live in the red!
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Postby Navre » Wed May 31, 2017 12:26 pm

You can't really charge much more than $100 as a relinquish fee. We don't want to drive the birds to Craigslist.
Navre
African Grey

Hooded Parrot

Postby Pajarita » Thu Jun 01, 2017 10:10 am

HA! You guys need to talk to Foster Parrots and The Oasis on the relinquish fee!
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Postby Navre » Thu Jun 01, 2017 3:15 pm

Well, they are are doing sanctuary stuff. It's like paying for boarding for the rest of the bird's life. I guess they base it on life expectancy?
Navre
African Grey

Hooded Parrot

Postby Pajarita » Fri Jun 02, 2017 10:35 am

I have no idea what they base it on but, for what I have heard, it's a fixed fee regardless of the species. And I don't know about The Oasis but Foster Parrots does adoptions although their requirements are pretty difficult to fulfill -or, at least, they were because you had to volunteer there. I think these two places are doing their very best but, in all honesty and in general, I don't believe in sanctuary for pet parrots, especially in the large species... I used to but not any longer.
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Next

Return to Parrot Tales