Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

Pajarita's update

Place to share personal stories, pictures and videos of your parrot.

Re: Pajarita's update

Postby Pajarita » Mon Jun 19, 2017 9:31 am

I met my first husband when I was 15 and, as his mother was a renowned gourmet cook, I put an effort into learning to cook more than just the normal, every day dishes my grandmother used to make but, ironically, my best dishes are not gourmet at all! I also make a real mean paella valenciana and a fabulous niños envueltos which I learned from my father who cooked only three typical Spanish dishes [his parents were from Galicia] but he did them so well that the family would often ask him to make one of them for our family gatherings (I had a real large family and we always got together for the holidays and once during the summer with parties of over 50 people - the third dish he made was 'puchero al paquete').

Gail, the bakery from back home where I get bizcochos [breakfast pastries - see the picture on the left:https://www.pinterest.com/pin/14073817558143072] makes the most delicious 'rosca de chicharones' http://www.recetasya.com/rosca-de-chich ... -uruguaya/
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Number of Birds Owned: 30
Types of Birds Owned: RoseBreasted too, CAG, DoubleYellowHead Amazon, BlueFront Amazon, YellowNape Amazon, Senegal, African Redbelly, Quaker, Sun Conure, Nanday, BlackCap Caique, WhiteBelly Caique, PeachFace lovebird, budgies,
Flight: Yes

Postby galeriagila » Mon Jun 19, 2017 7:50 pm

Pajarita has us all Jonesing for all these things now!!!!!!
galeriagila
Amazon

Number of Birds Owned: 1
Types of Birds Owned: 32-year-old Patagonian Conure

Postby liz » Tue Jun 20, 2017 5:49 am

Yes.
liz
Macaw

Number of Birds Owned: 12
Types of Birds Owned: DYH Amazon Rambo
BF Amazon Myrtle
Cockatiels: Shadow Tammy Flutter Phoenix Jackie
Andy Impy Louise Twila Leroy

Postby Pajarita » Wed Jul 19, 2017 12:30 pm

I have been waiting and waiting to give you an update because I wanted my husband to take pictures of the birds (especially the little ones in their new cages) but he has been (and still is) busy doing stuff around the house (painting, refinishing floors, etc) because Nya, our youngest daughter (the one that is a widow), said she and the kids might be coming in September for a visit and I immediately 'carpe diem' to push him (read 'nag') to do the stuff I've been asking him to do for the last year or so (gotta be fast about these things and jump on them :lol:) so I decided to just go ahead and post the pictures later.

Let's see... I finally 'finished' the budgie flock with a female I named Flora (she is green). As you all know, I've been looking and looking for a mate for my button quail male which has been calling and calling for one since the beginning of spring without success. I posted in CL both for Northern and Central New Jersey and looked in NYC, Long Island, Delaware and Pennsylvania every single day with no luck. But the lady who adopted Pookey found a guy in Brooklyn (I had told her of my search and we have kept in touch over emails) so there we went. After a two hour drive, I go into this tiny apartment (the living room/dining room area is the same size as my kitchen and the kitchen was just a bit bigger than my walk-in closet! :shock:) and this guy has a baby playpen in the middle with a tiny Chihuahua, four aquariums (the small, starter size) three of them with big turtles in them and nothing else (just water!) and the fourth with a large iguana, a cage the size I would use for a cockatiel with five (FIVE) ringneck doves (one of them sitting on a nest) and another aquarium with about 15 baby quails on shelves around the room. The babies were all brown, which I don't mind, but, as I had mentioned that I would much rather have an adult, he comes from a bedroom? with an adult female for me - only thing is, this bird is twice as big as mine! So I said to him that my quail is half the size and that this bird has to belong to a different species and that I cannot use it. All this time, I am hearing budgies chattering in the kitchen where there is a cage covered with material and when I tell him that birds should never be covered during the day, he uncovers it and there are like 30 budgies in it! The poor, poor things!!! Soooo crowded! I tell him these birds are suffering, that they are too crowded, their cage is too small, as it is the one for the doves AND the aquariums for the turtles - and he tells me that that all his animals are 'rescues'. Now, you have no idea how much it aggravates me when people call animals they buy in CL "rescues" and use that as an excuse for bad care! :evil: These poor animals needed to be rescued from him! He said that he started with one pair and that they had bred. I asked him why he didn't prevent them from doing it - he said he did (not true, there were two nest boxes with hens in them that either had eggs of babies in there) and that they were all going to go to Petco so I offered to buy a female from him and, do you know how many females were there in the 30 or so birds he had in there? Three! Just three! He had ten males for each female! That should tell you how terrible the conditions these bird were kept under for the hen to produce clutches with such gender imbalance! I took the only female that was not in a nest and that is FLora. I did not even bother quarantining her because, if any of the parents had had any contagious disease, the babies and the parents would have died long before I got there what with the bad food and the huge stress from the crowded conditions. She is a typical budgie, green body with black markings on wings and back of head, a yellow face and front (forehead) but I happen to think that the wild phenotype is actually quite beautiful, and she is doing very well, eating gloop like a champ and wolfing down leafy greens like there is no tomorrow. All of them are doing well. They 'discovered' sprouts after a couple of times I put them there and nobody touched them and they now LOVE them! As soon as put them at the bottom of the cage, they all fly down and crowd each other trying to eat more than the other birds :lol:

Paquita (Her Royal Meanness) and Rajah are also doing very well. Paquita is completely feathered and her plumage is now slick as it should be (she used to have contours kind of sticking out even after the 'holes' from plucking had filled up). They both eat very well and I saw Rajah feeding her in her beak a couple of days ago. I will watch them and, if I see she is getting nesty, I will give them a nest I ordered for them online made out of natural material (some sort of pliable grass) and which I have been saving.

Pablo is still alive and he seems to have gained a tiny bit of weight but I don't know how much because I can't really weigh him -I am going by how his chest felt the last time I toweled him to trim his beak. Codee hurt her foot or leg. I don't know what happened but her nails are growing very curved now so I am going to have to trim them because, sometimes, they get stuck around the bars of the cage and she doesn't seem to be able to dislodge them easily - and I think that maybe she got them stuck and pulled too hard and got something hurt because, one morning, she wasn't putting any weight on it. I waited a day and, when she was still keeping it to the side, I took her to the vet for an XRay which did not show a fracture so the doctor said that it's either that she got a crack fracture in a foot bone (too little to see in an XRay), sprain it (unlikely as there is no swelling or bruise) or that she hurt (tore?) a tendon -I think it's the tendon because it's been days and days and she is still favoring it.

Mami and Naida Zon are doing well if one doesn't take into consideration the degree of plucking Mami has done on both of them but I think that it's because they have been much more hormonal this year. So much so that Naida laid two eggs for the first time in her life! She kept on throwing them out of her 'nest' so I've been putting them aside when I clean but the new kitten (a sick feral one I brought in) loved playing with them and they ended up cracked so I had to throw them out - but it didn't faze her at all!

Zoey and Sweetpea seem also to be more hormonal this year than ever. Not that they are being aggressive or anything like that but Sweetpea has been chewing up a storm! I've had to change the two rolled up magazines I put in their cage almost daily and the confetti he makes have been ending up inside the wood nest they have in their cage so I guess he is preparing it. Zoey appears to have accepted him more fully because I saw her preening his head the other day for the very first time! Also, Sweetpea continues to astound us with how well he uses speech. Last week, he was really pestering me with the "Ready?" he uses when he wants his breakfast and, in all honesty, I was real late that morning because I had had to finish the gloop so he was on my shoulder and it was a constant thing: "Ready?" "No, wait" "Ready?" "No, you have to wait" "Ready? Ready?" No, you have to wait a minute" "Ready?" so, in exasperation I answered in a loud and angry tone "NO! NOT READY! CAN'T YOU WAIT A GODDAMN MINUTE?" - one single second pause and I hear a soft "Sorry" It floored me because I had never heard him saying it like that before! I turned to my husband who was helping me by sweeping the dining room and living room and I was like "Did he just say 'sorry'?!" (I don't hear very well as I suffer from a mild form of nerve-end deafness and, sometimes, I mix up the consonants in my head) but he said he also hear him saying 'sorry' very clearly. I swear, this bird is a genius!

Sunny is doing great and the time will be coming soon when I will have to look for a male companion for her because she is now becoming more independent of me and doesn't seem to need to be ON me all the time. She still spends lots of time on my shoulder and kissing me but she now also takes little flights off my shoulder and perches somewhere close and watches me so she is, obviously, feeling much more self-assured and comfortable with herself.

Sophie CAG continues sitting on her eggs. She has never done this before - I mean, she has laid and she has sat on her eggs but not for months and months like this time. And, if you ask me, it's because of Linus which, as soon as she gets up, runs to sit on them and I don't know if he doesn't sit on them at night because there have been quite a number of dawns when I peep inside the room (I always make sure they are OK and that everything in the room is as it should be before I go downstairs at 5 am) and I see him sitting on them! Unfortunately, the 'father role' has also made him a bit of a stinker and he doesn't allow me to scrape, sweep or mop the floor so I am putting him in his cage every morning while I do this. He actually does it to himself because, as soon as he sees me grabbing the scraper he comes running with his beak open and hangs on to it so all I have to do is lift my arm and carry him dangling from the scraper and drop him in the cage. Then he proceeds to verbally complain about it and, hanging to the bars in the front of the cage, puts his foot out stretching his leg as much as he can trying to grab whatever he can reach -usually my clothes or my hair-and pull -- HARD! What a stinker! :lol:

Isis and Davy Redbelly are doing well, too. Not much in terms of interaction but no fights or even bickering so it's good. Isis continues to beg all the time for scritches and to try to scare away whichever bird happens to be on my shoulder at the time but she doesn't bite them. She did once pull a couple of feathers from Sunny which gained her a scolding and a 5 minute time out in her cage but she never did it again - so far... Davy is beginning to fly to my shoulder and spend a few minutes there so we are doing OK in that sense. The only problem I've had with him is that he likes to go into smaller birds cages - he has done it to a canary once and twice to the plets. The poor canary was in a corner of the cage and I don't know how long he had been there because I did not notice it until I went looking for him and couldn't find him but I know he did not stay long in the plets cages because Paquita raised hell over it and as soon as I heard her I came over and took him out.

And, after months and months of looking, I finally found a hen for poor lonely Itsy so we now have a new Bitsy, She is younger than I wanted but it's been so hard finding one that I decided to take her even though she is not an adult which means that, in reality, I am not sure it is a female. She was the only one mottled in the bunch and, usually, that is the hens coloration so I took a gamble - I'll let you know if it works out.
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Types of Birds Owned: RoseBreasted too, CAG, DoubleYellowHead Amazon, BlueFront Amazon, YellowNape Amazon, Senegal, African Redbelly, Quaker, Sun Conure, Nanday, BlackCap Caique, WhiteBelly Caique, PeachFace lovebird, budgies,

Postby Navre » Wed Jul 19, 2017 2:12 pm

Great update
Navre
African Grey

Number of Birds Owned: 2
Types of Birds Owned: Turquoise Green Cheek Conure
Hooded Parrot

Postby Pajarita » Thu Jul 20, 2017 8:49 am

I forgot Zeus and Precie (what a terrible mother I am!). They are doing well and very happy now that they are back to being cage-free 24/7. The breeding season ended for them already so I started letting them out gradually increasing the amount of time they spent out. This was just to make sure they were not going to go after Sophie or Linus and they didn't - they are either in or on their cage or on the platform closest to them. I started by leaving the door to the cage open but still putting their food and water in the cage, then it was on the floor next to the cage door and, finally -I started with their dinner- on the platform. Precie is not looking good these days because she spent too much time in her 'nest' and has a patch of feathers on her belly that have taken a brownish hue to them but I am hoping that once she molts them, they'll come back green as they are supposed to be. Zeus, on the other hand, looks magnificent!
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Postby Navre » Thu Jul 20, 2017 9:22 am

He looks like a Greek God?
Navre
African Grey

Number of Birds Owned: 2
Types of Birds Owned: Turquoise Green Cheek Conure
Hooded Parrot

Postby Pajarita » Fri Jul 21, 2017 8:52 am

Yes, only green :lol:
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Postby Bird woman » Sat Jul 22, 2017 11:20 am

GIRL IM IMPRESSED, AND YOU TAKE THIS ALL ON YOURSELF ! I feel like I'm going backwards most of the time and I have help 3 days a week. I finally moved into the 21st. Century and got on face book and put tons of pictures of the flock on there. If you want to hook up just pm me and I'll give you the full name and you can send a request. Be patient with me I'm still learning but getting the picture thing down. :D BW
Bird woman
Amazon

Number of Birds Owned: 10
Types of Birds Owned: 2 mollucans, 2 LSC'S, 2 macaws, 1 bare-eye, 1 grey, 1 goffin and max the quaker

Postby Pajarita » Sat Jul 22, 2017 12:54 pm

It's harder for you because almost all your birds are still very new, it's easier when they are settled down in their routines, they know each other and have made 'alliances' and friendships. I'll friend you.
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

PreviousNext

Return to Parrot Tales