Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

Pajarita's update

Place to share personal stories, pictures and videos of your parrot.

Re: Pajarita's update

Postby Pajarita » Mon Dec 18, 2017 12:37 pm

I've been meaning to comment on this and I keep on forgetting. Javi has completely different vocalization sounds than all the other medium size parrots. Now, all species have their own kind of vocalizations but aside from the small species that have more chattering and chirping than anything else and the very large ones that have screams that make your brain rattle inside your head, the medium size ones have similar calls in terms of the actual sounds they make but Javi's are not like theirs at all! While the others use sounds like Ks and Rs and Ps or Bs, he uses mostly SH sounds... one of them sounds like Thank you in Chinese and another one sounds like he is saying Precioso [precious] the way a Spanish person would say it in baby talk, changing the S sound for a SH and eliminating the R - like 'peshosho'. And he LOVES it when I call him Peshosho :lol: He also makes a sound like a hard hissing but not out of anger at all... it's actually the most common sound he makes. Interesting, isn't it?!
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Number of Birds Owned: 30
Types of Birds Owned: RoseBreasted too, CAG, DoubleYellowHead Amazon, BlueFront Amazon, YellowNape Amazon, Senegal, African Redbelly, Quaker, Sun Conure, Nanday, BlackCap Caique, WhiteBelly Caique, PeachFace lovebird, budgies,
Flight: Yes

Postby Pajarita » Fri Feb 09, 2018 10:48 am

I will come back and do a complete update another day but I just wanted to tell you about Javi, the 'new' black capped caique, because he is, BY FAR!, the quirkiest and funniest bird I've ever had! He does not only play hide and seek [although he gives himself away most of the time by mumbling to himself when I call out his name], he also does the Leroy Brown walk and, as I crack up every time I see him doing it, he laughs along with me. Have any of you seen the second Crocodile Dundee movie, the one where he meets the character Leroy Brown? This character is all about appearing to be 'cool' to others and, when he walks, he bounces on one leg giving his walk an uneven 'hitch' that looks almost as he if was limping and Javi does exactly the same thing! Why he does this, I don't know! But it's the funniest thing! He also takes baths in the sink about three times a week and, when he is done, I put a clean kitchen towel on the countertop and he proceeds to 'surf' and rub his entire face, chest, belly and sides as if he was trying to dry himself - which is a good thing because he has pinnies on his cheeks which he doesn't allow me to touch. AND, he is now stopping his 'nip fit' when I say 'Ouch, no!' so he IS learning to control himself.
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Types of Birds Owned: RoseBreasted too, CAG, DoubleYellowHead Amazon, BlueFront Amazon, YellowNape Amazon, Senegal, African Redbelly, Quaker, Sun Conure, Nanday, BlackCap Caique, WhiteBelly Caique, PeachFace lovebird, budgies,

Postby Navre » Sat Feb 10, 2018 7:35 am

Caiques seem to be some of the funniest birds. One of the few breeds we have not had come through the rescue in the last 3 years.
Navre
African Grey

Number of Birds Owned: 2
Types of Birds Owned: Turquoise Green Cheek Conure
Hooded Parrot

Postby Pajarita » Sat Feb 10, 2018 10:34 am

Well, going by the VERY scarce number of them that show up in CL and rescues, and the extraordinarily high price they ask for them [almost the same as a grey!] , I am thinking they must be very difficult to breed because they are of a very nice medium size, very pretty and so very quirky and funny that I don't see how the problem could be low demand so it has to be something else...
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Postby Pajarita » Sun Mar 18, 2018 9:52 am

Just a quick update because I am super busy these days...

Everybody doing well. I started everybody on the 'spring' diet by switching the soft white wheat with the hard red and the millet with quinoa in the gloop, I added hemp seeds to their nut/seed mix and started supplementing them with sprouts and [still not too often] mealworms. Precie Zon has abandoned her first clutch [she never did pay much attention to those eggs] but I haven't taken the eggs out yet. Sophie CAG is almost back to normal although she stills go to ground and Linus Too is still chewing up a storm in the birdroom. Mami and Naida Zon are having sex every morning and chewing like crazy but they haven't laid so far.

Paquita Plet got her beak bruised AGAIN! It even lost a chip off the top. I am going to ask my husband to put Plexiglas slats all around the bottom of the cage because that's where she goes to 'fight off' the 'intruders and, if that doesn't work, I will try putting their cage in the canary room because, if I don't do something, she will end up with half a beak for sure!

Pablo Peachfront and Codee GCC are doing great. Pablo is one of those mysteries... he never gets better but he never gets any worse, either.

I got a pair of budgies to round up the little flock. I found them in CL - the ad said they did not know the gender and were asking for only $15 for both with a blurry picture that had two yellow birds on it so I sent my husband to pick them up and they ended up being double factor spangled yellows babies! Now, if I had known that these two were babies bred by the person who was rehoming them I wouldn't have gotten them but, by the time I realized it [I couldn't from the picture because spangled don't have the head markings that tell us when the bird is a baby and I couldn't see the eyes, either] they were already here and my husband, who loves yellow birds, had already fallen in love with them. They are only three months old and going by their ceres, it seems as if I got a male and a female but I will know for sure in another month or two.

Sweetpea Senegal is chewing and chewing and chewing [I've had to cover my magazines because there isn't a single one that remains whole] and Zoey Senegal is still watching Javi Caique like a hawk. In the mornng, when I first open their cage, she flies straight to the back of the dining room chair right in front of his cage and stays there daring him to come out, the meanie! She is now perching on my left shoulder looking down at Javi which is perched on my left thigh...

Davy Redbelly is officially the naughtiest bird I've ever had! That bird is driving me crazy! He gets into everything, steals everything, knocks everything down from tables and shelves and doesn't give me a minute peace all the time he is outside his cage! But he is doing very well - eats like a champ [I don't know if it's coincidence or if it's all the redbellies but both of mine seem to like to eat very early in the morning, much earlier than the senegals or any other species I have], bathes regularly, etc. Isis is sweeter and sweeter every day that goes by - she was always sweet to my husband but I've had to work to win her over.

Javi Caique is also doing very well and keeps on fine-tuning his own routines within mine. He hardly ever hides under the sofa now and climbs all over the other birds' cages, instead. He has discovered two new favorite foods: blackberries and sugar snaps, but he eats pretty much anything I put in front of him. He is still molting but it's on the final stage with pinnies around his face. Problem is, I guess he was not used to anybody preening him so it has taken me quite a while to convince him to allow me to do it and the face is still the one area that I have to be extra careful about, doing it for short periods of time, very gently and only when he is half asleep and in just the right position - but I will persevere and he will allow me to do it next year without a problem. My husband, who has this terrible habit of getting an opinion on the birds from his first interaction with them, calls him 'pajarraquito' which is a despective way of referring to a bird and we already had two fights about it -well, not really fights... mostly me yelling at him to stop calling him that and him saying that it's a term of endearment because he uses the diminutive term [the 'quito' ending to the word 'pajarraco' which is a derivate of the word 'pajaro' meaning bird] which I know it's BS!

I still haven't set up the canaries to breed but I already started them on the conditioning diet. I need to set them up this week or the hen will start laying and I will lose the best window for it but my husband has been working so much that I am by myself most of the time and I just haven't had the time to scrub the cages [breeding and flight] for it.
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Postby Navre » Sun Mar 18, 2018 3:23 pm

Was it Javi that wasn't eating well when he first got to you?
Navre
African Grey

Number of Birds Owned: 2
Types of Birds Owned: Turquoise Green Cheek Conure
Hooded Parrot

Postby Pajarita » Mon Mar 19, 2018 9:37 am

No, actually, Javi was one of the easiest birds to switch to gloop [he started eating it the first day] and has always been very easy to get to eat new stuff -and that helped a lot because he had not tried a number of things that my birds get, like blackberries which ended up being one of his favorites. But it's not as if the small range of produce he was used to eating was done on purpose, it's that only birds never get a large variety...
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Postby liz » Tue Mar 20, 2018 5:06 am

Do not feel bad about getting the budgies from someone who may have hatched them. Think of it this way, that human lost money on them at $15. They ate more than that.

I checked CL for the ones who needed the most help. If they were cheap they were throw aways from their humans. Other than $300 and a long drive for Myrtle, my most expensive bird was Phoenix at $60 because the man said he was too ugly to sell.
I bought him and Flutter ($40) from a flipper but did not realize until after. Even so I am so glad they are mine now. The man brought them to me in little cardboard boxes. I had no idea what I bought but I had them and that was that. I did not see them until I got home or I would have just taken them from him and not given him money. He would also have me up on charges of assault.

You listed new food changes. I don't make chop. I serve as I would a child with no foods touching. Then I know which foods they are actually eating. I know that there is little nutrition in celery but a stalk travels all over the cockatiel room. There are little notches out all over it. Romaine lettuce looks like lace at the end of the day. They only kick the grape around like a ball. They get frozen mixed veggies too. They like the carrots best.

I have not changed the timer on the lights yet. I know you have it some where else in this forum but what is the lighting schedule now? My Tiels get the evening sun through their window.

I love your updates. I enjoy reading yours and Navre's posts to let me know how you and yours are doing.
liz
Macaw

Number of Birds Owned: 12
Types of Birds Owned: DYH Amazon Rambo
BF Amazon Myrtle
Cockatiels: Shadow Tammy Flutter Phoenix Jackie
Andy Impy Louise Twila Leroy

Postby Pajarita » Tue Mar 20, 2018 10:36 am

To tell you the honest to God truth, Liz, I am of two minds on those baby budgies. On the one hand, I feel bad because by buying the babies, I ended up actually promoting something that I don't agree with: the breeding for the pet trade [and, in this case, by somebody who has zero experience and knowledge in budgies - to the point that they did not know which one was the male and which the female and I am not talking about the babies, I am talking about the parents!]. But, on the other hand, I am actually looking forward to raising them from babies because I know they will get good food, flight, a little flock, etc. [something budgies seldom get] so I foresee them having a long, long life - and that makes me feel good because, usually, by the time I get them, they've already been 'messed up' by the previous owner and it's a relief not having to worry about their possible health issues.

I am opening the blinds and uncovering the cages at 6:15 am [but that's because I get up at 6:00 am - it can be done at 6:30 without missing any of the dawn], turning on the full spectrum lights at 8:30 am and off at 4:45 or 5 pm waiting until 7:30 pm to cover their cages.
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Postby Pajarita » Sat Apr 07, 2018 11:30 am

Sheesh! I can't believe I almost forgot to tell you about Gryphon, the beautiful blue [not really blue but a wonderful turquoise color!] female quaker I got yesterday! She is doing very well. She came out this morning for a couple of hours only because I did not want to overwhelm her. I opened her cage door and, after a few minutes, she came out and perched on top of the door. Then she moved to the top of the cage but, when Davy Redbelly flew to it [he is the curiosest bird and is always trying to engage the females into interacting with him], she flew down to the floor [she is a VERY weak flier]. I offered her my hand but she did not step up to it. I offered her a stick and it was the same thing - so I just kept my eye on her to see what she would do and she walked to a corner and kind of hid between the sofa and the end table so I grabbed her with a baby blankie I keep around and she did not mind at all. I put her on her own table stand and she stayed there, looking around, preening a bit for a long while until Davy went back to his pestering her which made her fly down to the floor again but, this time, when I offered my hand, she quickly climbed on it. Maybe the fact that I had been standing next to the table where her stand was and that I had stood for 5 whole minutes holding a piece of apple to her beak so she could eat it made the difference -because, as we all know, they appreciate 'good servants' :lol:

She got gloop this morning mixed with some budgie seed mix because, although I normally use their own food for the first couple of days, she was eating the fruity pellets and not much produce so her diet needed to be changed immediately but I will give her a couple of pellets tonight mixed with the seed/nut mix I give all my medium size birds.

Aside from that, she has not screamed once and she has been chewing on a toy she has in her cage so she seems to be a very good little girl!

Ah, one more thing, her previous owners say that she doesn't react to her name or has ever said it so we will see what she considers her name because, apparently, Gryphon ain't it!
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

PreviousNext

Return to Parrot Tales