Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

Pajarita's update

Place to share personal stories, pictures and videos of your parrot.

Re: Pajarita's update

Postby liz » Fri Oct 19, 2018 6:27 am

I love your updates.
liz
Macaw

Number of Birds Owned: 12
Types of Birds Owned: DYH Amazon Rambo
BF Amazon Myrtle
Cockatiels: Shadow Tammy Flutter Phoenix Jackie
Andy Impy Louise Twila Leroy
Flight: Yes

Postby Pajarita » Fri Oct 26, 2018 1:06 pm

Keku is now also saying: 'I love you!', 'What's the matter?' 'What's the matter, Pretty Bird?' 'Baby bird'
'Sweet baby bird', and, this morning, I heard her say to Davy: 'Wachoodoing?' Isn't she amazing?! And I have no idea why she did not learn anything with her previous owners because it really does not take much for her to learn something new. Yesterday morning, while I was doing the cages, I dropped an entire large bowl of water on the floor of the dining room and, without realizing it, I said 'SH*T!' and, very quickly she said: "SH*T ON WHEELS!" -which is something that I say but that I thought I was being careful not to say in front of them... but I guess I have and she learned it :lol:

I keep on telling people, quakers are SOOOOOO underestimated... you read/hear that they pluck, that they are too loud, that they are cage aggressive, etc. etc. and it's NOT true! They are super intelligent, great talkers, excellent eaters and bathers, aces in the air and so incredibly affectionate!

The two new birds are doing OK. I put them on my detox regime and, although Peaches poop is still not good for my taste, they are no longer afraid of me or my hands and eating their gloop and fresh produce like champions so I have hopes their liver values will not be too bad by the time I get them checked out by my vet. Now, let's see if I can get Peaches to stop plucking... Speaking of plucking, I have to get my husband to take a picture of Linus which looks sp much better these days.
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Number of Birds Owned: 30
Types of Birds Owned: RoseBreasted too, CAG, DoubleYellowHead Amazon, BlueFront Amazon, YellowNape Amazon, Senegal, African Redbelly, Quaker, Sun Conure, Nanday, BlackCap Caique, WhiteBelly Caique, PeachFace lovebird, budgies,

Postby Pajarita » Tue Nov 27, 2018 10:47 am

Not a real update, just a little one to let you know that today was the first morning that one of the IRNs came out of their cage. Ever since I moved them to the dining room after quarantine, I've been leaving their door open every single morning before serving breakfast but they never came out or even got close to the open door [which makes me think that they were not let out in their previous home] but, this morning, Peaches came out and perched on top of the cage for maybe about 10 minutes, preened a bit and then went back in on her own so a good baby step! These birds are still a bit leary of hands near them [Casper more than Peaches] but they are eating very well [today, sugar snaps, apples and brussells sprouts] and they LOVE the gloop so we are good there.

As to interacting... I don't think they got a whole lot of it in the past. BUT they are making kissy noises whenever you make them to them. My husband was the one that discovered it the first day they were moved downstairs [Casper was the one that did it first but they are both doing it now] and now, whenever my husband is home, he makes it a point to stop by their cage often to talk to them and make kissy noises and then laughs in delight when they answer him. He likes them A LOT even though he says that it's mostly that he feels so sorry for them because they look so sad. I don't think they are actually sad but they do not act happy either, poor things, because they don't have anybody of their own -they don't really like each other much but that could be because they both came very hormonal [I did not have the heart to tell my husband that the kissy noises are because they are hormonal]. But they will once they feel stronger, their endocrine system is back on track, and get the chance to spend all day long flying outside the cage. And, if that doesn't work out, I will get them males. Once I get them to come out and to step up for me, I will take them to the vet. Oh, and it seems that Peaches has more feathers on her chest, too!
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Types of Birds Owned: RoseBreasted too, CAG, DoubleYellowHead Amazon, BlueFront Amazon, YellowNape Amazon, Senegal, African Redbelly, Quaker, Sun Conure, Nanday, BlackCap Caique, WhiteBelly Caique, PeachFace lovebird, budgies,

Postby Navre » Wed Nov 28, 2018 9:16 am

I love IRN. :)
Navre
African Grey

Number of Birds Owned: 2
Types of Birds Owned: Turquoise Green Cheek Conure
Hooded Parrot

Postby Pajarita » Wed Nov 28, 2018 11:35 am

I like ALL birds but I do like their vocalizations a lot - and not only because they are not loud or frequent but also because they are soooo easy to reproduce [we have conversations in ringneckese where I reply making the same WWWUUUUEEEEE they do :lol: ] My husband likes them because they are small and so very mild-tempered.
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Postby Pajarita » Sat Dec 08, 2018 11:12 am

Well, Peaches came out two days in a row and not again until today. BUT, today, she stayed out the whole time I was cleaning the cages - which made me worry about having to stress her out to put her back in but, smart cookie that she is!, she went back in all by herself as soon as I started calling the other birds to "GO HOME! Eat it! Que rica papa!". Apparently, she has already learned what that means.

Two things I've noticed: one is that, obviously, these birds were not allowed to come out of their cage for a loooong time if ever because a bird that comes out every day would not have taken this long to do it -and Casper still hasn't! And two is that it seems to me that both have been living under somewhat stressful conditions because Peaches plucks [which is not common in aviary birds] and Casper is EXTREMELY high-strung! I mean, this bird freaks out something terrible every time some little thing startles her... all it takes is a sudden movement near their cage and she goes into a flapping fall. Even a light shining on their cage when it's already dark would do it so I have to cover their cage even before night has completely fallen because it's next to a window that is on the side of the house where the next door neighbor has their driveway and, if they happen to turn on the car lights, she freaks out. Poor things! Birds needs are so misunderstood! Even people with very good intentions and love in their hands screw them up... But Peaches is allowing her feathers to grow and they are eating VERY well so, in time, they will come around. They all do.
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Postby Pajarita » Sat Dec 08, 2018 1:29 pm

YAAAAAY!!! Peaches came out again after eating breakfasts AND, after a while, she took off flying landing accross the room on the old zon ladies which did not like this at all and started flapping their wings rushing to get to her so, when I heard the noise I went over and asked Peaches to step up to my finger AND SHE DID! That was a not a baby step, that was a nice run!
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Postby Navre » Sat Dec 08, 2018 1:48 pm

Yay for peaches!
Navre
African Grey

Hooded Parrot

Postby Pajarita » Thu Dec 13, 2018 11:55 am

I forgot to tell you yesterday that, the day before yesterday [I had no access to the site], Casper came out to fly and stepped up to my finger three times! I had seen her perching on the threshold of their cage door and was keeping a VERY close eye on her because she is so high-strung I feared she would fly and end up somewhere that was going to cause her to have a fit so I actually saw her taking off and flying and boy, is she clumsy and weak! The poor bird flapped without any rythm and had no skill whatsoever as to landing correctly - not even on a flat surface! But she did take three flights [twice from my finger while I was moving her back to the top of their cage] and had no problem stepping up [of course, this was from the floor so it doesn't really count for much in terms of her stepping up on command]. I did notice that the wing that got hurt on her trip to me was weaker and that she did not fold it flat until she was back in her cage so her booboo was, apparently, more serious than I thought but she did use it so it was not broken - most likely soft tissue damage not affecting a tendon.
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Postby Navre » Thu Dec 13, 2018 1:43 pm

It’s good news, indeed, that she can still fly and will still try.
Navre
African Grey

Hooded Parrot

PreviousNext

Return to Parrot Tales