Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

Mimi's Progress

Place to share personal stories, pictures and videos of your parrot.

Re: Mimi's Progress

Postby Pajarita » Thu Aug 20, 2015 10:35 am

Wonderful progress! It actually takes years for a parrot that was neglected and/or abused to fully adjust to their new and better life so I think she is doing not only wonderfully but also that is happening very fast. It might seem slow to us but it's not for a parrot...

And, yes, I fully agree with you, the no expectations, no demands and total acceptance of what they desire IS what's making this big difference in her.
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Number of Birds Owned: 30
Types of Birds Owned: RoseBreasted too, CAG, DoubleYellowHead Amazon, BlueFront Amazon, YellowNape Amazon, Senegal, African Redbelly, Quaker, Sun Conure, Nanday, BlackCap Caique, WhiteBelly Caique, PeachFace lovebird, budgies,
Flight: Yes

Postby Wolf » Thu Aug 20, 2015 2:25 pm

She spent 14 years of knowing that her name was Mimi, but never got to be Mimi. She was not allowed to know and express who she was. She needs time to find out who she is and who she wants to be. I want to know Mimi for who she is not something that she has been forced into being.
Wolf
Macaw

Number of Birds Owned: 6
Types of Birds Owned: Senegal
African Grey (CAG)
Yellow Naped Amazon
2Celestial Parrotlet
Budgie

Postby Wolf » Fri Aug 21, 2015 7:23 am

When my Lady got home last evening and things settled down enough for her to play with Mimi, she started off with the new action of Mimi taking a treat from her. She was very excited that Mimi took the almond right off without the usual dodging the bites that accompany this activity. This in itself was great, but Mimi could not contain herself and was proudly proclaiming that it was a good nut and that she liked it. It was so comical, unfortunately you have to be ready to make a video of it when it starts or you can't catch it.
Wolf
Macaw

African Grey (CAG)
Yellow Naped Amazon
2Celestial Parrotlet
Budgie

Postby Pajarita » Fri Aug 21, 2015 9:34 am

Amazons are VERY funny birds, no doubt about it! Mami and Precie are absolutely hilarious! But they can be difficult too! I am now trying to figure out how to tell my husband that Naida ate the frame off a painting in the dining room... She has become the unholy terror of chewing, choosing to go for everything that she is not supposed to instead of entertaining herself with the variety of chewies I have put in and on her cage (wood box, wood cubes, rolled up magazine, folded cardboard, a cardboard box, branches and two different toys). She started with the door molding, went on to the base board, escalated to the bookshelves and, by then, my husband was fed up and decided she was not to come out without supervision, which I agreed to... but he wasn't home and I was busy and, by the time I looked for her and did not see her, it was too late and the frame is toast. Ay ay ay...
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Types of Birds Owned: RoseBreasted too, CAG, DoubleYellowHead Amazon, BlueFront Amazon, YellowNape Amazon, Senegal, African Redbelly, Quaker, Sun Conure, Nanday, BlackCap Caique, WhiteBelly Caique, PeachFace lovebird, budgies,

Postby Wolf » Fri Sep 04, 2015 8:59 am

Mimi is still taking almonds from my Lady's hand and is starting to go back onto her tree stand again.
Wolf
Macaw

African Grey (CAG)
Yellow Naped Amazon
2Celestial Parrotlet
Budgie

Postby Pajarita » Fri Sep 04, 2015 10:08 am

It might not seem like much to most people but it IS progress and that's what's important! Good job!
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Postby Wolf » Fri Sep 04, 2015 10:27 am

I haven't done this, I do advise my Lady when she starts making too many mistakes, but mostly I let her and Mimi come to terms with each other without interference. This is their doing! I think it is great!
Wolf
Macaw

African Grey (CAG)
Yellow Naped Amazon
2Celestial Parrotlet
Budgie

Postby Harpmaker » Sun Sep 06, 2015 12:30 am

She has definitely come a long way from where she was when you got her. I am happy for her luck in ending up with you, Wolf!
Harpmaker
Amazon

Number of Birds Owned: 1
Types of Birds Owned: Meyer's Parrot

Postby liz » Sun Sep 06, 2015 6:03 am

Wolf you got the touch. Your tenderness exudes from you and is picked up on by the animals. (who would have thought that I could spell exudes.)

Paj what is up with Amazon chewing? Rambo is now content to have himself and his stuff in his own window. Myrtle is a pain in the butt. I cut branches, buy wooden spoons, bird chew toys and even a cocoanut with the hull on. She loves them all. The cocoanut now looks like it is extra terrestrial but my door frames and cabinet doors show she is a chewer. I have been thinking of separating the kitchen from the rest of the house but she would really miss her deck window with all the swinging toys.

One of the reasons I wanted to move was to have my own home again. No one can complain about my pets. I love this old house and it is so comfortable but there are many things that need repaired and I don't think Myrtle is devaluing it.
liz
Macaw

Number of Birds Owned: 12
Types of Birds Owned: DYH Amazon Rambo
BF Amazon Myrtle
Cockatiels: Shadow Tammy Flutter Phoenix Jackie
Andy Impy Louise Twila Leroy

Postby Wolf » Sun Sep 06, 2015 6:23 am

Myrtle is letting you know that it is time to replace those old wooden doors with nice new metal ones. She is trying to help with the remodeling by showing you what can be replaced. ( humor)
Wolf
Macaw

African Grey (CAG)
Yellow Naped Amazon
2Celestial Parrotlet
Budgie

PreviousNext

Return to Parrot Tales