Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

Mimi's Progress

Place to share personal stories, pictures and videos of your parrot.

Re: Mimi's Progress

Postby Pajarita » Tue May 24, 2016 10:11 am

Awwww, it's always so great to hear how well Mimi is doing, Wolf! And, yes, I do firmly believe that there is nothing better for a traumatized bird than to have the company of other birds, even if they are not of the same species. Mimi reminds me a lot of Mami... she also asks for music only she goes: "Tra La La? Tra La La?" Isn't it amazing how smart they are? That they actually find the way to communicate what they want by changing the inflexion of a phrase or, in the case of Mimi, whistling?
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Number of Birds Owned: 30
Types of Birds Owned: RoseBreasted too, CAG, DoubleYellowHead Amazon, BlueFront Amazon, YellowNape Amazon, Senegal, African Redbelly, Quaker, Sun Conure, Nanday, BlackCap Caique, WhiteBelly Caique, PeachFace lovebird, budgies,
Flight: Yes

Postby liz » Wed May 25, 2016 7:58 am

Thank you for the update. I think of her often. I know that is strange but to me she is my neighbors adopted war orphan. I love to hear about her progress.
You have really done good with her.
liz
Macaw

Number of Birds Owned: 12
Types of Birds Owned: DYH Amazon Rambo
BF Amazon Myrtle
Cockatiels: Shadow Tammy Flutter Phoenix Jackie
Andy Impy Louise Twila Leroy

Postby TrishMM » Wed May 25, 2016 8:43 am

Wolf , I have just read through this entire thread and I'm both touched and saddened at mimi's story. However I am relieved that you were there to be her saviour and I feel certain that her life is so much better than the awful existence she led before you saved her. Bless you and your lady for investing in her.
TrishMM
Parakeet

Number of Birds Owned: 2
Types of Birds Owned: 1 green cheek conure
1 green Indian ringneck

Postby Wolf » Wed May 25, 2016 11:07 pm

I am just the guy who cleans her cage, gives her toys as well as giving her food and water. Basically, I am just her friend. Yes, she has some issues but I am not her savior, if anyone is saving anyone here I rather suspect that Mimi is doing the saving for my Lady, who just like most of the rest of us has her own issues as well.
Wolf
Macaw

Number of Birds Owned: 6
Types of Birds Owned: Senegal
African Grey (CAG)
Yellow Naped Amazon
2Celestial Parrotlet
Budgie

Postby Wolf » Sun Aug 07, 2016 10:48 am

Thought it was time to give an update on Mimi. She progresses slowly but she progresses. The latest progress has been in both stepping up and being outside and off of her cage. These two steps actually occurred at the same time, but I guess that I am getting ahead of myself here.

About 2 months ago I hung one of those rope boings from the ceiling at her cage and changed her swing on her tree out for a different one. Although she likes this swing better she still doesn't actually use it. She was showing interest in the rope, but would not go to it , nor would she step up so we could put her on it. About a week ago she started stepping up a little and we started putting her on the rope and she has steadily been increasing the time that she remains on it as it is set up so that she can return to the cage whenever she wants to. Here is a picture of her on it.

img01.jpg
Wolf
Macaw

African Grey (CAG)
Yellow Naped Amazon
2Celestial Parrotlet
Budgie

Postby Pajarita » Sun Aug 07, 2016 10:52 am

Awww, she is looking great, Wolf! And yes, sometimes with the 'shy' or insecure ones, a gentle push in the right direction is good.
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Number of Birds Owned: 30
Types of Birds Owned: RoseBreasted too, CAG, DoubleYellowHead Amazon, BlueFront Amazon, YellowNape Amazon, Senegal, African Redbelly, Quaker, Sun Conure, Nanday, BlackCap Caique, WhiteBelly Caique, PeachFace lovebird, budgies,

Postby Bird woman » Sun Aug 07, 2016 5:02 pm

Mimi has love in her eyes I can see it you will fall hard for this one ! I have fount the tougher the nut to crack the sweeter the insides and I'll bet Mimi will follow that rule. Keep on rescuing , your a kind heart and gentle soul. BW
Bird woman
Amazon

Number of Birds Owned: 10
Types of Birds Owned: 2 mollucans, 2 LSC'S, 2 macaws, 1 bare-eye, 1 grey, 1 goffin and max the quaker

Postby Wolf » Sun Aug 07, 2016 7:45 pm

With what her life before here was, she is doing wonderful and there is nothing difficult about her, it is just a matter of being patient while she heals enough to try to do things on her own, although we do give her a push once in a great while. We only push a little bit after she has shown that she is trying to do a thing, but can't quite overcome the previous conditioning and we always leave her a way out so that she does not feel unduly pressured. It has taken nearly 4 years for her to come out of her cage and not only want to climb around on the outside of it, but to also want to get off of the cage and try something different. I started placing toys and perches on the outside of the cage to encourage her after she first showed signs of wanting to come out of the cage.
Wolf
Macaw

African Grey (CAG)
Yellow Naped Amazon
2Celestial Parrotlet
Budgie

Postby liz » Mon Aug 08, 2016 6:13 am

Thanks to you and your lady she has a chance for life. What she had before was far from it. It is so rewarding to get through to a bird who comes to you from the darkness. I know how hard it is to pull them into the light.
Bless you and your lady.
liz
Macaw

Number of Birds Owned: 12
Types of Birds Owned: DYH Amazon Rambo
BF Amazon Myrtle
Cockatiels: Shadow Tammy Flutter Phoenix Jackie
Andy Impy Louise Twila Leroy

Postby seagoatdeb » Tue Aug 09, 2016 2:29 pm

Wolf that is such great news. she is so lucky she has the two of you.
seagoatdeb
African Grey

Number of Birds Owned: 2
Types of Birds Owned: Red Belly Poicephalus and a Meyers Poicephalus

PreviousNext

Return to Parrot Tales