Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

Mimi's Progress

Place to share personal stories, pictures and videos of your parrot.

Re: Mimi's Progress

Postby alienlady » Sat Mar 11, 2017 6:30 am

I have just read this thread and the first post brought tears to my eyes. How wicked people can be!
I've loved reading about Mimi's progress and hope that you continue posting about her.
What an amazing job you and your lady have done Wolf, I'm so happy for you all :D :thumbsup:
alienlady
Poicephalus

Number of Birds Owned: 1
Types of Birds Owned: Blue fronted amazon
Flight: Yes

Postby liz » Sun Mar 12, 2017 6:38 am

For someone who never intended to have a bird you are doing such fantastic work. Your collection of birds could not do better any where else. I would also like to commend your Lady. I don't think she intended to get involved. She has accepted the love of Mimi and loved her back.
liz
Macaw

Number of Birds Owned: 12
Types of Birds Owned: DYH Amazon Rambo
BF Amazon Myrtle
Cockatiels: Shadow Tammy Flutter Phoenix Jackie
Andy Impy Louise Twila Leroy

Postby Wolf » Sun Mar 12, 2017 6:41 pm

Basically, my Lady believes the same as I do that birds should not be pets, that they belong living wild and free. That does not mean that we love any of them any less, just that they don't belong in captivity or houses.

I did forget to mention that for the last week that Mimi has started to learn to ride around on my Lady's shoulder where she will remain for an hour or two preening through my Lady's hair and talking and whistling to her. It is wonderful for me to see and hear.

Yes, Mimi know the word no and knew it before she was ever responding to us as we have several other birds and animals and no is one of those words that get a regular workout at our home. Still, she only listens to it when she choses to.
Wolf
Macaw

Number of Birds Owned: 6
Types of Birds Owned: Senegal
African Grey (CAG)
Yellow Naped Amazon
2Celestial Parrotlet
Budgie

Postby stevesjk » Mon Mar 13, 2017 3:05 am

Totally agree, they should not be pets, the fact that they are passed on between 7 to 9 times throughout an average lifeSpan says it all. In addition some of the behavior issues they develop are a testimony to how they struggle with captivity.

In an ideal world all breeding would stop immediately and we should just look after the ones we have. I, myself bought from a breeder a few years back when i was ignorant and naive to the parrot problem and i would never do that again. The breeder provided no warning about what it takes to look after one and no follow up care. They are just out to make money off the backs of innocent birds and naive people.
stevesjk
Conure

Number of Birds Owned: 2
Types of Birds Owned: Senegal parrot budgie

Postby liz » Mon Mar 13, 2017 6:04 am

It is wonderful that Mimi hitches rides from your lady and even preening her. Yay.

In a perfect world they would be free and able to do what they want to do. We in this forum have given them as much freedom as is possible.

If the breeders would stop for at least 3 years there would be no parrots being neglected or mistreated. They would be valuable. It is a shame that we do not have laws like Swedon.
liz
Macaw

Number of Birds Owned: 12
Types of Birds Owned: DYH Amazon Rambo
BF Amazon Myrtle
Cockatiels: Shadow Tammy Flutter Phoenix Jackie
Andy Impy Louise Twila Leroy

Previous

Return to Parrot Tales