Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

Mimi's Progress

Place to share personal stories, pictures and videos of your parrot.

Re: Mimi's Progress

Postby seagoatdeb » Sat Oct 10, 2015 4:37 pm

Pajarita wrote:You know? I don't think that adult parrots need to be taught to be gentle. I think that they instinctually know how to do it because, otherwise, how would they mange to raise their babies without hurting them? Baby parrots are highly altricial and VERY fragile but the parents would feed them, move them, cover them, etc without a single mishap so, obviously, they can control their beak pressure at will. With parrots like poor Mimi, which have been neglected so badly in terms of physical affection, might take a while for them to realize that humans are fragile themselves and not as hardy as they would be -or even more so because, after all, we are so much larger and stronger than them- so I think that creating a deep bond and just showing them that we were hurt is what works best. But I know you are already doing this so I am sure it's just a matter of time until she is the sweetest thing ever all the time.

They are incredibly good with their beaks, not only can they peel a grape and leave just the thinnest piece of peel, but my Red Belly has been doing courting dances on my hand, and I felt nothing as her beak was touching me while she did it, yet she removed a tiny layer of my skin epidermis without me even feeling it, talk about a precise beak they have total control over!
seagoatdeb
African Grey

Number of Birds Owned: 2
Types of Birds Owned: Red Belly Poicephalus and a Meyers Poicephalus
Flight: Yes

Postby Wolf » Sat Oct 10, 2015 4:48 pm

She is definitely bonded with my Lady but due to her past she is learning that all of the old limitations are gone as are those rules. She still has a lot of pent up frustrations and anger, I am sure, but the biggest thing is that she needs to learn to trust us after having lived for her entire 14 years with not being able to trust her human. It is a big change for her. She will soon learn that trust is a two way street and that she needs to show us some trust if we are going to be able to trust her too. It just takes time and patience, with the progress that she has made and in the time span that she has done so I know that she will get there.
Wolf
Macaw

Number of Birds Owned: 6
Types of Birds Owned: Senegal
African Grey (CAG)
Yellow Naped Amazon
2Celestial Parrotlet
Budgie

Postby Pajarita » Sun Oct 11, 2015 8:40 am

Yes, and now that she has been there around two years or so, the changes will be more noticeable and happen faster.
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Number of Birds Owned: 30
Types of Birds Owned: RoseBreasted too, CAG, DoubleYellowHead Amazon, BlueFront Amazon, YellowNape Amazon, Senegal, African Redbelly, Quaker, Sun Conure, Nanday, BlackCap Caique, WhiteBelly Caique, PeachFace lovebird, budgies,

Postby Wolf » Sun Oct 11, 2015 11:52 am

I expect so too. After all this time she is finally showing that she is aware that she in not going to be hurt or forced to act in ways that are not natural to her or that she doesn't want to do.
Wolf
Macaw

African Grey (CAG)
Yellow Naped Amazon
2Celestial Parrotlet
Budgie

Postby seagoatdeb » Fri Nov 06, 2015 3:36 pm

I m so happy to hear she is gaining that level of trust with you Wolf, she is lucky to have you.
seagoatdeb
African Grey

Postby Wolf » Sat Nov 07, 2015 6:12 am

Well, Mimi is making progress and although I wish iy was faster it is what it is. She is coming out of the cage a little further than she was, I did slow her down a little when I moved the cages around a little. She was climbing around trying to get at Kiki, my Senegal and trying to bite her and Kiki was fighting back so I moved the cages so that Kiki was not between her and Kookooloo, my Grey and then Mimi was doing the same thing so I moved the cages a little further apart. Now she doesn't go around the cage trying to reach the other birds. She is now working on reaching the top of her cage.
The biting issue is still happening but it is getting better, it so much reminds me of the beaking of a baby bird that I can't help but to think that this is what is happening with her. And she is now beginning to talk to me more during the day and she has started singing during the day. I am glad that the neighbors know I have birds and that they are no closer than they are because she can't carry a tune any better than I can, which makes it sound more like screaming than anything else, but it is really her trying to sing, and done with lots of gusto and volume. But she is having fun, so who am I to do anything other than to join her and get all of them going? Poor neighbors!
Wolf
Macaw

African Grey (CAG)
Yellow Naped Amazon
2Celestial Parrotlet
Budgie

Postby Pajarita » Sat Nov 07, 2015 10:20 am

:lol: Yes, zons LOVE to sing but not all of them are any good. I had a male, Teddy, that sang beautifully in an operatic way but Mami, although she sings soprano, is not really very good at it, either. But she loves, loves singing and would start going tra-la-la when she wants the radio on. We do off-key duets :lol:

It takes a loooong time for them to really come around, Wolf. And, when they did not have the right treatment when they were young, they never quite make it to what they could have been if they had. But they do improve and they can still have happy lives. Mimi's progress is fabulous and all due to your love and patience. Kudos to you, my friend :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Number of Birds Owned: 30
Types of Birds Owned: RoseBreasted too, CAG, DoubleYellowHead Amazon, BlueFront Amazon, YellowNape Amazon, Senegal, African Redbelly, Quaker, Sun Conure, Nanday, BlackCap Caique, WhiteBelly Caique, PeachFace lovebird, budgies,

Postby seagoatdeb » Sat Nov 07, 2015 1:24 pm

Sounds like she is coming along well and is getting happier all the time, and its nice to hear the biting is slowly improving. it is probably at the baby bird stage just as you think. My Meyers is a baby bird and just went through a nippy stage, I was the one he nipped, and he did draw blood a few times. The day he stopped nipping me was the day he "fell" for me. He was on my shoulder and started to preen me in cute little tickly ways making the cutest little sounds. After that, no more nipping, an he made very fast progress eveyday.
seagoatdeb
African Grey

Postby liz » Mon May 23, 2016 8:04 am

I love hearing about Mimi. She is an inspiration to me that she has come so far.

Wolf, what is going on with her now?
liz
Macaw

Number of Birds Owned: 12
Types of Birds Owned: DYH Amazon Rambo
BF Amazon Myrtle
Cockatiels: Shadow Tammy Flutter Phoenix Jackie
Andy Impy Louise Twila Leroy

Postby Wolf » Tue May 24, 2016 7:18 am

I have been trying to get some pictures and/ or a video of Mimi, but she is camera shy, so I may not get any useable pictures but she is not quite as afraid of the camera as when I started trying to get some pictures, but I expect it will still be a while on that.

She is hanging out on the perch that I mounted on her cage's door more and more during the day and is talking up a storm. She doesn't yet know the word music, but she does ask that I put on music by starting to whistle and then, when I turn on the music she whistles with the music for a while, while Kookooloo dances to it.

Instead of trekking around the outside of her cage screaming as before, she is now making 2 and sometimes three trips around her cage with very little screaming. Also if Kookooloo is with me and not in or on her cage, Mimi will cross over to Kookooloo's cage and explore her cage for a while before going back to her own.

She has started telling me to let the other birds out, but I am thinking that it may be due to her wanting to go over to Kookooloo's cage and she uses the same words but with a different inflection to tell me that the birds are out.

She will now take an almond from my hand, it kind of depends on whether my Lady is at home or not but that is also improving. She usually goes to the back of the cage when I change the food dishes, but has recently begun just climbing to the top of the cage and hanging down when I put her dinner in the food dish, just watching to see if there are any extra nuts on top of it when I am done and she usually grabs one nut and comes out on the door perch to eat that nut. It is sort of like her way of sharing dinner with us.

Mimi is funny as she forgets to hang on sometimes when she starts playing with a toy and the end result is that she makes an unexpected flight. This is nothing unusual for her, but she has started to fly over to where I am at to land and be rescued. Sometimes, I take her on a walk down the hallway or just around the room and other times I just pic her up and sit and talk with her until she decides that she has had enough and flies back to he gage. Her landings have improved a lot.

My Lady is the only one who can pet her although I had to ask her to keep the petting to Mimi's head and not her body as she was getting Mimi all aroused. While Mimi loves that her all time favorite think is to tickle my Lady's arm with her beak. She just can't get enough of it. She seems so amazed that she is allowed to touch someone at all. Since before she came here that was a huge no no.

Many of the things that she is just learning are now alright for her to do are things that she really should have learned when she was still a baby. Better late than never. Oh, it may have a lot to do with Kookooloo, but Mimi is spending a lot more time laughing at things. Kookooloo laughs a lot as well as dancing and singing.
Wolf
Macaw

African Grey (CAG)
Yellow Naped Amazon
2Celestial Parrotlet
Budgie

PreviousNext

Return to Parrot Tales