Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

Stories- ringneck, quaker, and gcc

Place to share personal stories, pictures and videos of your parrot.

Re: Stories- ringneck, quaker, and gcc

Postby Pajarita » Thu Apr 28, 2016 9:49 am

LOL - the family dog, eh? And, yes, some of them have a distinct predilection for balls. Freddy Too adores them and often rolls them from one end of the floor to the other with his beak.
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Number of Birds Owned: 30
Types of Birds Owned: RoseBreasted too, CAG, DoubleYellowHead Amazon, BlueFront Amazon, YellowNape Amazon, Senegal, African Redbelly, Quaker, Sun Conure, Nanday, BlackCap Caique, WhiteBelly Caique, PeachFace lovebird, budgies,
Flight: Yes

Postby seagoatdeb » Thu Apr 28, 2016 2:13 pm

Sunny loves balls too, and I have to keep a look out so I dont take a nose dive tripping over one.

For some reason Sunny has decided he will shut the doors of his cage when he is out and he has shut Gaugans cage door too. Today she was even in there when he did it. I think am going to make some more foraging toys.
seagoatdeb
African Grey

Number of Birds Owned: 2
Types of Birds Owned: Red Belly Poicephalus and a Meyers Poicephalus

Postby shiraartain » Sat May 07, 2016 8:19 am

Glad to hear that others have experience with birds and ball toys. It's fun to watch them play, isn't it?

Lemon has a similar toy, Liz, but I realized the other day that the inside ball had broken. No danger of the bell falling out, but it's not as jingly as it was before. He doesn't mind, though, as long as he can roll it around.

I went to give the birds dinner before leaving last night and had purple lipstick on. Clover lunged at my face and narrowly missed my eye. She then kept coming after me until I gave up and had someone call them out of the bird room so I could close the curtain and give them food. Luring her in with an almond was a delicate operation, but thankfully the almond was more appealing than attacking me for having my hand in her cage.

At first I thought she was mad because I had had a friend over earlier who saw them in their cages from a respectful distance, but then I remembered after the friend left she was quite content to fly over to me and hang out. So I'm sure it was the dramatic lipstick.

I wish she would go easy on me, though. She always bites with intent to injure and my collection of scars is increasing. I get nervous whenever she wants to perch on me or starts chewing on my clothes.
shiraartain
Poicephalus

Number of Birds Owned: 1
Types of Birds Owned: Yellow-Sided Green Cheek Conure, Quaker, Ringneck

Postby Wolf » Sat May 07, 2016 9:20 am

I recently read an article about parrots locating their food supply from the air, aerial recon, and that they use color to decide when the fruits are ready for them to eat. Next to parrots, we humans are color blind, but even the colors that we both see, I am sure that they do not see in the same way as we do since they see into the UV light ranges which are invisible to us. the shade of purple that you were wearing my have some sort of threatening connotations for a parrot, or is just a color that your bird doesn't like.
Wolf
Macaw

Number of Birds Owned: 6
Types of Birds Owned: Senegal
African Grey (CAG)
Yellow Naped Amazon
2Celestial Parrotlet
Budgie

Postby Pajarita » Sun May 08, 2016 10:02 am

Well, purple lips are not what one would call 'natural', right? :lol: I have read many times that people's parrots reacted badly to a drastic change -things like dying their hair and such- but I've never experienced it.
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Types of Birds Owned: RoseBreasted too, CAG, DoubleYellowHead Amazon, BlueFront Amazon, YellowNape Amazon, Senegal, African Redbelly, Quaker, Sun Conure, Nanday, BlackCap Caique, WhiteBelly Caique, PeachFace lovebird, budgies,

Postby Wolf » Mon May 09, 2016 7:27 am

Me neither, but I guess that I would look a bit funny in a purple beard.
Wolf
Macaw

Number of Birds Owned: 6
Types of Birds Owned: Senegal
African Grey (CAG)
Yellow Naped Amazon
2Celestial Parrotlet
Budgie

Postby Pajarita » Mon May 09, 2016 8:53 am

:lol: :lol:
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Postby shiraartain » Sat May 21, 2016 11:50 pm

I'm sure purple would be a lovely color on you Wolf! :P

Middle sister was bitten by clover for the first time and was very upset afterwards. She is now careful about sticking her hand in the cage.

I don't change the pairs cage arrangement as often would be ideal, but finally got around to it today. They definitely need more toys. Clover got onto my shoulder once but I managed to get her off without being bitten. She's very sweet when it comes to talking, and will even let the twins touch her head with a finger now! But I don't trust her near my face. I don't even ask her to step up. Only lemon, because he's harmless even with his huge beak. So now, whenever I say "Lemon", Clover immediately says "ssssssstep up".

Fajr is as spoiled as ever. his toys are cheaper and easier to make. Hung some sisal rope across the patio window and it's his favorite perch now. Added an old hoop toy that we made last year, and he had fun with acrobatics.

My parents are slowly giving way, I am still fighting the good fight against moving them into the basement/garage. Lemon and clover's cage came with plexiglass sheets and my dad drilled holes in them and hung them on the back of the cage to protect the wall from fruit debris. Not ugly, and keeps the wall clean , the room pretty, and my parents happy :). The next things to tackle are the seed guards (I lost them somewhere in the house) and toy storage (right now I have everything into a bag and stuff it under the cage. My dad wants a more visually pleasing setup that doesn't ruin the aesthetic of the room ).

I'm almost out of rose branches and the organic apple orchard people never got back to me. Anyone have ideas?
shiraartain
Poicephalus

Number of Birds Owned: 1
Types of Birds Owned: Yellow-Sided Green Cheek Conure, Quaker, Ringneck

Postby liz » Sun May 22, 2016 7:03 am

They do get upset when you look a little different.

My mother was against me getting another bird. I had to promise I would not but that was a day after I brought her home so I did not break the promise. Once she realized that Myrtle was in the house she could not wait to see her. I could not take her to Momma until she landed on the floor and climbed me. I walked into the room with Myrtle on my shoulder and Momma wanted to hold her which Myrtle did not allow yet. To my surprise she hopped of me and went right for Momma pink plastic curlers. Momma was in heaven. She could not see Myrtle but Myrtle was in her hair removing curlers.
liz
Macaw

Number of Birds Owned: 12
Types of Birds Owned: DYH Amazon Rambo
BF Amazon Myrtle
Cockatiels: Shadow Tammy Flutter Phoenix Jackie
Andy Impy Louise Twila Leroy

Postby Pajarita » Sun May 22, 2016 11:24 am

Any wood that is not poisonous should be OK, Shira. And isn't it something how they enjoy any odd little thing one puts together same as an expensive toy? I find they don't even care if they are not brightly colored!

Clover is a real smart cookie, isn't she? All quakers are.

And YAAAAYYYY for your parents slowly giving in to keeping them upstairs!!!
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

PreviousNext

Return to Parrot Tales