Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

Bird woman's flock

Place to share personal stories, pictures and videos of your parrot.

Re: Bird woman's flock

Postby Bird woman » Sat Aug 20, 2016 12:21 pm

My ladies , friends employees have been with me working in some capacity for over 2 years. They love all the birds and for the most part are able to win there hearts. As you know some take a lot longer than others. It all depends on the degree of mistreatment or who the care provider was what they looked like Etc. Etc. So many factors play into it to gain the birds trust and for them to feel relived and assured the bad situation is gone. Most of these birds have found there way to me by word of mouth and I don't let very many people into my private life as I have a very public buisness.When I go home I stay secluded and most people don't see or know this side of me , and the ones that do, know to keep there mouth shut. I found this forum and felt a since of relief being able to have a group to share my experiences , ups and downs and be able to ask for help when I need it. The problem with those 2 post was that it made me feel that if more birds came in I wouldn't be able to share anymore because of judgment by the forum for taking on to much. I don't want to feel that way . I am different than most with my flock, I never train with food , they are allowed to grow and become the birds they want to be. All have there own space outside of the community room of there choosing that I don't allow the other birds into unless the bird invites them. After quarantine and vets complete blood work comes back they enter the community space and everyone gets to know each other. supervised of course. Through the adjustment period they will start venturing out into the other areas and pick there own space. If that space has been taken they figure it out pretty quick. When I need more room I build . Right now as I'm writing alyha is upside down on her back in my lap chewing on her toes like a baby. Buddy the bare eye in on his stand on the end of the bed playing with his bell, that none of the other birds are allowed to touch . He guards it fiercely . Some are in the front avairy some are in the back some are in the play room there really just doing what they want.I am avaliable to my flock at least 12 hrs a day and if they want me they always know where to find me and play.I'm sure some of you reading this are just scratching your heads but this is what has worked for years and I haven't found a nut I couldn't crack yet and when these birds know there safe and have anything there little hearts desire that I can provide they settle in quick. It's not all butterflies and roses there are problems such as the huie issue but I'll get it handled . We do have one very large dominating mollucan , sexy riki that rules the roost and gets a little pushy now and again but I know her eyes , and what she's thinking and so do the rest of the birds.well enough for now time to clean up the breakfast mess. I sure wish all these birds would eat like my Lilly , she never drops a crumb on the floor and eats slowly and neatly, she's such a lady. After meal time look out that's why I call her Lilly bomb bomb !!! :roll: BW
Bird woman
Amazon

Number of Birds Owned: 10
Types of Birds Owned: 2 mollucans, 2 LSC'S, 2 macaws, 1 bare-eye, 1 grey, 1 goffin and max the quaker
Flight: Yes

Postby galeriagila » Sat Aug 20, 2016 3:43 pm

I had no intention of causing any irritation. I apologize.
galeriagila
Amazon

Number of Birds Owned: 1
Types of Birds Owned: 32-year-old Patagonian Conure

Postby Bird woman » Sat Aug 20, 2016 4:10 pm

:thumbsup: I'm not irritated just thought I'd share a little more info about the set-up so you all could not worry that I'll get in over my head. I do appreciate the concern but one thing you should understand about me I don't usually bite off more than I can chew and get-ear-done is my middle name. I'm old and wise now and study , multitask , and am very good at commanding the forces. :lol: well at least my forces anyway. Sometimes I may vent my frustrations about a situation or something that gets out of my control for a bit like the Huie and Mathew horror show. But I'm figuring how to keep things calmer with those 2 , I'm just really tired of getting my hair pulled by 2 large talons every time he flys over my head , honestly I'm going to get a long grey wig and put it loosely on my head and see the reaction when it comes off my head next time he pulls my hair. :roll: .god I'd give a million bucks to be a fly on the wall to see the look on his face. BW
Bird woman
Amazon

Types of Birds Owned: 2 mollucans, 2 LSC'S, 2 macaws, 1 bare-eye, 1 grey, 1 goffin and max the quaker

Postby galeriagila » Sat Aug 20, 2016 4:56 pm

I just wondered how people found you, and if they just dumped the birds on you. I guess I should have asked it that way. Again, sorry.
galeriagila
Amazon

Postby Wolf » Sun Aug 21, 2016 7:30 am

I must admit that I was a little concerned, mostly when you mentioned the aggressiveness of a couple of the birds. Given the size and strength of their beaks, my main concern was you getting a serious bite. I also had to keep reminding myself that with all that you have shared that it was not like you were not experienced enough to deal with the situation.

I do have to remind people to read postings with a grain or two of salt, so to speak, as without the tones or facial expressions that we are accustomed to having the words sometimes take on a different connotation than when supported by tonal qualities and facial expressions. This is regardless of whether one is sharing a story or replying to a question. The printed word alone is not always up to the task and it is so easy to misunderstand what the other person is meaning to convey. Sometimes the words or phrases that we choose to use to attempt to convey our messages color what we are saying with a tone of their own, as many people may have an emotional reaction to certain types of phrases or words that may be based on how they were used in their own past that we are not aware of. Some word that we use such as persistent and stubborn, describe the very same attribute, but one places it as a virtue and the other places it as a fault. We all need to be more aware of these factors and how they might be perceived and the effect that they may have on others. It makes a huge difference in both how we are perceived and the type of response that we receive. Just a thought or so that I hope will be helpful.
Wolf
Macaw

Number of Birds Owned: 6
Types of Birds Owned: Senegal
African Grey (CAG)
Yellow Naped Amazon
2Celestial Parrotlet
Budgie

Postby Pajarita » Sun Aug 21, 2016 10:41 am

Oh, I wasn't judging at all! I think it's great that these poor birds found their way to you and, of course you can tell us all about any new bird that comes to you! I will be glad for those, too! The concern I wrote about is because I used to think that parrots do better when they are given good husbandry and allowed to be just parrots interacting with one another but I learned that this is not the case for the large species UNLESS they happen to mate-bond. It works with the little ones and some of the medium ones but it doesn't seem to really work with the large species. At least, it did not with me. After a while, they all wanted exclusivity, something that cannot be given when one has a lot of them. And that's why I mentioned it. I got Linus as a companion to Freddy but I ended up been the companion to both of them and having to spread myself even thinner. I don't regret taking him in because he was in a bad place with all his plucking and he is doing much better (he actually has growing contour feathers on his back now, he eagerly comes to me, he flock calls in the pm -he never did before) but I am spread out as thin as I can be and really don't have time for a single one more. I wish I could count on people to come over and be one of my birds' 'designated human' but I can't...
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Number of Birds Owned: 30
Types of Birds Owned: RoseBreasted too, CAG, DoubleYellowHead Amazon, BlueFront Amazon, YellowNape Amazon, Senegal, African Redbelly, Quaker, Sun Conure, Nanday, BlackCap Caique, WhiteBelly Caique, PeachFace lovebird, budgies,

Postby Bird woman » Sun Aug 21, 2016 11:57 am

It is really hard to find competent people that the birds will except. Most people are afraid of getting bit or there just to jumpy or nervous around the birds. Even my husband is to quick to judge a bird by there first actions. He's really impatient . I wish you could see alyha after one week with her, OMG she's upside down on her back clowning around and trying everything to mess me up on this post.i had to put the computer up against the wall and she's still trying to mess me up. :roll: this little girl is like a heat seeking missle where my husband is concerned she even hears his voice and she's on a mission . SEEK AND DESTROY!!! I made the mistake of laughing and now she thinks he's a chew toy for fun. I absolutely can't understand why anyone could think she is a bad bird , she makes everyday a party and puts a huge smile on my face... Wish they were all this easy . Gotta go alyha just won't stop time to play and wear her little ass off. :lol: BW and alyha
Bird woman
Amazon

Postby Pajarita » Mon Aug 22, 2016 10:46 am

Awww, she sounds delightful! I tell you, I have found that many people misunderstand their birds... I cannot tell you how many times I have gotten a bird that was given up because of aggression and it turns out the bird is sweet as sweet can be!

My husband has learned to be more tolerant but he is also the kind that would continue saying a bird is 'mean' because it bit him ONCE when it first came! Zoey Senegal used to bite him and, even though she no longer does, he keeps on insisting she is mean.
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Number of Birds Owned: 30
Types of Birds Owned: RoseBreasted too, CAG, DoubleYellowHead Amazon, BlueFront Amazon, YellowNape Amazon, Senegal, African Redbelly, Quaker, Sun Conure, Nanday, BlackCap Caique, WhiteBelly Caique, PeachFace lovebird, budgies,

Postby galeriagila » Mon Aug 22, 2016 12:26 pm

My husband and bird have a rivalry that's the source of a lot of jokes among family and friends. Husband keeps it going with funny but horrific threats to bird. And truly, he's not an animal person. BUTTTTT, he is more gentle and tolerant of them AND ME than many so-called animal lovers. The Rb once bit his bicep and HUNG there (husband got tooo close to perch). Poor dear just stood there until I could run and pry bird off... didn't swat at the bird or even shake. The wound was vicious, left a scar. Now it's good for jokes, though!
galeriagila
Amazon

Postby seagoatdeb » Mon Aug 22, 2016 2:59 pm

My daughter used to say Gaguan was "mean" but she is now seeing that Gaugan is probably the nicest of the pois. She gives a lot of warning if she is going to bite you, and she really shows you what she likes and doesnt like, her communication skills are amazing. When we go over to my daughters all the parrots give Gaugan a wide birth and she explores with free will, and it is because she taught everyone what her boundaries are, with a minimum of any agression.

Bird woman, I loved all your pics. What a group of beauties and have a great time with Alyha.
seagoatdeb
African Grey

Number of Birds Owned: 2
Types of Birds Owned: Red Belly Poicephalus and a Meyers Poicephalus

PreviousNext

Return to Parrot Tales