Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

Another painful Dr Harry video...

Place to share personal stories, pictures and videos of your parrot.

Another painful Dr Harry video...

Postby Chantilly » Mon Jul 11, 2016 4:08 am

You probably remember not long ago i made a post on the 'horrid harry'(acually, the thread was called 'Dr Harry......') (did some researching, and he isnt just some random guy, he is VERY big here, youve probably heard of Dr Chris Brown /bondi vet/, well Chris is the new Harry, and Harry used to be very very very very popular like the well loved Chris is today.)

Youtube having remembered me watching the Quaker video months ago suggested another video by him yesterday, and boy does it get me riled up! He just has no clue, even though this one was not as bad as the Quaker one, it was still horrible, he is just damaging the bird, and what really p*sses me is that he is loved for it, and that people see these things everywhere on TV in Oz and take his advice. Bad enough that he is damaging this individual bird, now everyone who watches BetterHomesandGardens with parrot problems is going to pick up a stick and start scaring the life out of their parrots.
:evil:

Also, that GCC has its full primaries, are they trying to make it fly away outside or has it had a crucial clip that left it without any flight. The bird was already being treated badly enough, he did not need to step in. Grrr just Grrr.
And anthough she be little, she is fierce ~Shakespeare
- Tilly & Shrek
Chantilly
Amazon

Number of Birds Owned: 2
Types of Birds Owned: Cinnamon green cheek conure & Yellow Scaly x Rainbow lorikeet, Chickens & Ducks
Flight: Yes

Re: Another painful Dr Harry video...

Postby Pajarita » Mon Jul 11, 2016 9:01 am

This man seems very kind but he doesn't really have a single clue as to parrot's behaviors. He told the people the bird is aggressive which is NOT true. The poor bird is simply trying to tell the people that he only prefers the boy and that he doesn't want to be manhandle (the mother actually tried to grab the bird as one would grab an object off a table) or others to be pestering him (the little boy is, obviously, NOT a favorite of the bird). He told the to use flooding and laddering, two techniques that are no longer recommended by any real behaviorist. I also don't think the bird has all his primaries, I think they left the first and, possibly, also the second primary intact and cut all the rest because the wings are too pointy and narrow at the end to have all the primaries there.

And you are right, the worst problem is not this individual bird but all the other birds that are going to be misunderstood by their owners. Isn't there a good parrot behaviorist that can be contacted with this problem?
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Number of Birds Owned: 30
Types of Birds Owned: RoseBreasted too, CAG, DoubleYellowHead Amazon, BlueFront Amazon, YellowNape Amazon, Senegal, African Redbelly, Quaker, Sun Conure, Nanday, BlackCap Caique, WhiteBelly Caique, PeachFace lovebird, budgies,

Postby Michael » Tue Jul 12, 2016 10:13 am

Wow.... :violin:
Michael
Macaw

Number of Birds Owned: 3
Types of Birds Owned: Senegal Parrot, Cape Parrot, Green-Winged Macaw

Postby Chantilly » Wed Jul 13, 2016 5:14 am

I dont know Paj, I searched parrot behaviouralists in Aus and could only find this ladyhttps://wwonha.com.au/behaviour-non ... australia/
My first thought when you said parrot behaivoralist was Rebbeca K O'Conner, she writes in AustralianBirdTalk magazines
And anthough she be little, she is fierce ~Shakespeare
- Tilly & Shrek
Chantilly
Amazon

Number of Birds Owned: 2
Types of Birds Owned: Cinnamon green cheek conure & Yellow Scaly x Rainbow lorikeet, Chickens & Ducks

Postby Pajarita » Wed Jul 13, 2016 8:43 am

Well, if she is any good maybe you can contact her with your (VERY valid) concerns about this guy - or maybe there is some kind of an online petition going on or a place where you can post comments about his program.
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Number of Birds Owned: 30
Types of Birds Owned: RoseBreasted too, CAG, DoubleYellowHead Amazon, BlueFront Amazon, YellowNape Amazon, Senegal, African Redbelly, Quaker, Sun Conure, Nanday, BlackCap Caique, WhiteBelly Caique, PeachFace lovebird, budgies,

Return to Parrot Tales