Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

Found Friend's Parakeet in Front Yard!!!

Place to share personal stories, pictures and videos of your parrot.

Found Friend's Parakeet in Front Yard!!!

Postby Mollie » Wed Jul 20, 2016 4:49 pm

Today I noticed when I went to a friends house that they had 2 beautiful parakeets that were unsocialized. I decided to teach her how to hold them and put them on her shoulder. I asked if their wings were clipped and she said that they were. However, one of the parakeets flew off and out the door (there were house workers and they were coming in and out of the house and forgot to close the door). We searched in their front yards bushes for about half an hour and played bird sounds to see if we could at least hear her. She chirped a few times but we couldn't figure out where it was coming from. Finally my friends mom came home and after 2 seconds of her looking she found the bird quietly and contently sitting INSIDE one of the bushes!!! I caught her by the tail, a trick I found to be very useful in my years of trying to catch parakeets flying in my room. I'm so thankful we found the parakeet. But I wonder if there are any other methods in catching birds? Also any tips for helping my friend and I train her parakeets would be nice.
Mollie
Parakeet

Number of Birds Owned: 5
Types of Birds Owned: Meyers Parrot, lots of parakeets
Flight: No

Re: Found Friend's Parakeet in Front Yard!!!

Postby ParrotsForLife » Wed Jul 20, 2016 5:31 pm

Catching by the tail is definitely not a good way they can easily fall out and cause damage.A good way is Flight recall training.
ParrotsForLife
African Grey

Types of Birds Owned: Rocko and Loki, Cockatiels
Mango, Plum headed parakeet
Tiko, African grey, Oscar, BFA
Flight: Yes

Postby Wolf » Wed Jul 20, 2016 8:57 pm

Well, I would have been afraid of pulling out the tail feathers, but given the circumstances given any way that you can retrieve the bird without hurting it is what you need to do.

As for your question about training, why don't you go down to the general care and basic training section and tell us about the birds. Things such as sex, age, diet, time with your friend and any previous training or attempts at training would help a lot. The more that we know about a bird the better we are able to help. And we will be very happy to help.
Wolf
Macaw

Number of Birds Owned: 6
Types of Birds Owned: Senegal
African Grey (CAG)
Yellow Naped Amazon
2Celestial Parrotlet
Budgie

Postby liz » Thu Jul 21, 2016 6:35 am

ParrotsForLife wrote:Catching by the tail is definitely not a good way they can easily fall out and cause damage.A good way is Flight recall training.

I have a butterfly net. I have only had to use it to get a cockatiel from under a cage when it was time to go back to cage.

I did not have it when Bubba got out. He stayed for 3 days in a tree near Sweetie's window. If I had it at that time I could have gotten him back.
liz
Macaw

Number of Birds Owned: 12
Types of Birds Owned: DYH Amazon Rambo
BF Amazon Myrtle
Cockatiels: Shadow Tammy Flutter Phoenix Jackie
Andy Impy Louise Twila Leroy

Postby Mollie » Fri Jul 22, 2016 2:07 pm

For the tail feathers, I realize it could harm the bird, but I also realized id have to do anything to catch that bird before it flew away into the dangerous outdoors! also, the parakeets are both boys since their noses are blue. They were bought from petco a few months ago and havnt had any socializing, so they are obviously quite traumatized and scared of people. I don't know their age but they live off of a parakeet mix which seems to be only millet (I'll tell my friend to mix some pellets and fresh veggies/fruits)
Mollie
Parakeet

Types of Birds Owned: Meyers Parrot, lots of parakeets
Flight: No

Postby Wolf » Fri Jul 22, 2016 3:11 pm

I really don't think that losing some tail feathers would do any permanent damage to the bird, but it would have an impact on future interactions, but for how long is anyone's guess. Parrots have good memories and have been known to hold grudges.

Here is a link that provides a very basic description of how to begin hand taming the budgies, if you need a more detailed description then let us know. viewtopic.php?f=11&t=15762 This was in reply to someone else's question.
Wolf
Macaw

Number of Birds Owned: 6
Types of Birds Owned: Senegal
African Grey (CAG)
Yellow Naped Amazon
2Celestial Parrotlet
Budgie

Postby ParrotsForLife » Sat Jul 23, 2016 3:55 am

It would do damage if they were pulled out a few times
ParrotsForLife
African Grey

Types of Birds Owned: Rocko and Loki, Cockatiels
Mango, Plum headed parakeet
Tiko, African grey, Oscar, BFA

Postby liz » Sat Jul 23, 2016 5:33 am

It was an unusual situation that will hopefully never happen again. If holding onto the tail was the only way to get it then that was the best thing. I hope you had your other hand ready to hold it's body and release the tail. The bird probably felt pain from holding the tail but it would have felt much more if left outside on it's own.

Bubba, the Cockatiel who escaped when the bottom fell out of his cage, stayed in sight but out of reach for 3 days. He joined a flock, I can't remember what species, and stayed with them outside until they flew away and he went with them. I would have grabbed his tail feathers if I could reach them.

With my "rose colored glasses" I have to think that he was fully accepted by the flock and flew south when they did. He was gray and blended in visually with that flock so I tell myself he did not stand out from the others to attract a preditor.
liz
Macaw

Number of Birds Owned: 12
Types of Birds Owned: DYH Amazon Rambo
BF Amazon Myrtle
Cockatiels: Shadow Tammy Flutter Phoenix Jackie
Andy Impy Louise Twila Leroy

Postby Pajarita » Sat Jul 23, 2016 9:15 am

Mollie wrote:For the tail feathers, I realize it could harm the bird, but I also realized id have to do anything to catch that bird before it flew away into the dangerous outdoors! also, the parakeets are both boys since their noses are blue. They were bought from petco a few months ago and havnt had any socializing, so they are obviously quite traumatized and scared of people. I don't know their age but they live off of a parakeet mix which seems to be only millet (I'll tell my friend to mix some pellets and fresh veggies/fruits)

Don't worry about it, we understand it was a situation where you had to act fast and had little choices. I don't know what mutation they are but there are females that have blue ceres - I had two sisters that had them.
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Number of Birds Owned: 30
Types of Birds Owned: RoseBreasted too, CAG, DoubleYellowHead Amazon, BlueFront Amazon, YellowNape Amazon, Senegal, African Redbelly, Quaker, Sun Conure, Nanday, BlackCap Caique, WhiteBelly Caique, PeachFace lovebird, budgies,

Return to Parrot Tales