Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

Parrots know shapes

Place to share personal stories, pictures and videos of your parrot.

Parrots know shapes

Postby Pajarita » Fri Jul 22, 2016 10:43 am

This is an article about a study conducted on Griffin, a CAG with Dr. P (and, if you look closely, you will see that he is also plucking, same as poor Alex) about how parrots can recognize shapes even when they are 'hidden' in the picture. It doesn't surprise me as I remember reading that birds have a completely different 'path' for the images perceived by their eyes to reach the part of the brain that makes sense of them (which is what allows them to 'identify' what they see). They not only have a real smart brain super packed with neurons but also a visual 'shortcut' to it! Cool, isn't it?! And I always thought that it must have something to do with the fact that they fly - I mean, if they couldn't figure out what they are seeing real fast as well as accurately, they would end up flying over potential sources of food without realizing it, not?

http://phys.org/news/2016-07-parrots.html
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Number of Birds Owned: 30
Types of Birds Owned: RoseBreasted too, CAG, DoubleYellowHead Amazon, BlueFront Amazon, YellowNape Amazon, Senegal, African Redbelly, Quaker, Sun Conure, Nanday, BlackCap Caique, WhiteBelly Caique, PeachFace lovebird, budgies,
Flight: Yes

Re: Parrots know shapes

Postby Wolf » Fri Jul 22, 2016 2:52 pm

Since they nest in holes in trees this ability would probably also help them to spot potential nesting holes, which are unlikely to be seen in any other manner than from the air. They would probably be much harder to spot than would, say, a fruit ready to eat.
Wolf
Macaw

Number of Birds Owned: 6
Types of Birds Owned: Senegal
African Grey (CAG)
Yellow Naped Amazon
2Celestial Parrotlet
Budgie

Re: Parrots know shapes

Postby liz » Sat Jul 23, 2016 6:02 am

I have found that Rambo can identify food by the package it comes in. While putting groceries away he spotted a box of crackers.
I was eating red cherry candy when Rambo decided to see what I had. He looked at it but it did not look like a jelly bean so he ignored it.
liz
Macaw

Number of Birds Owned: 12
Types of Birds Owned: DYH Amazon Rambo
BF Amazon Myrtle
Cockatiels: Shadow Tammy Flutter Phoenix Jackie
Andy Impy Louise Twila Leroy

Return to Parrot Tales