Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

Pajarita's update

Place to share personal stories, pictures and videos of your parrot.

Re: Pajarita's update

Postby Pajarita » Mon Dec 18, 2017 12:37 pm

I've been meaning to comment on this and I keep on forgetting. Javi has completely different vocalization sounds than all the other medium size parrots. Now, all species have their own kind of vocalizations but aside from the small species that have more chattering and chirping than anything else and the very large ones that have screams that make your brain rattle inside your head, the medium size ones have similar calls in terms of the actual sounds they make but Javi's are not like theirs at all! While the others use sounds like Ks and Rs and Ps or Bs, he uses mostly SH sounds... one of them sounds like Thank you in Chinese and another one sounds like he is saying Precioso [precious] the way a Spanish person would say it in baby talk, changing the S sound for a SH and eliminating the R - like 'peshosho'. And he LOVES it when I call him Peshosho :lol: He also makes a sound like a hard hissing but not out of anger at all... it's actually the most common sound he makes. Interesting, isn't it?!
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Number of Birds Owned: 30
Types of Birds Owned: Toos, grays, zons, canaries, finches, cardinals, senegals, jardine, redbelly, sun conure, button quail, GCC, PFC, lovebirds
Flight: Yes

Postby Pajarita » Fri Feb 09, 2018 10:48 am

I will come back and do a complete update another day but I just wanted to tell you about Javi, the 'new' black capped caique, because he is, BY FAR!, the quirkiest and funniest bird I've ever had! He does not only play hide and seek [although he gives himself away most of the time by mumbling to himself when I call out his name], he also does the Leroy Brown walk and, as I crack up every time I see him doing it, he laughs along with me. Have any of you seen the second Crocodile Dundee movie, the one where he meets the character Leroy Brown? This character is all about appearing to be 'cool' to others and, when he walks, he bounces on one leg giving his walk an uneven 'hitch' that looks almost as he if was limping and Javi does exactly the same thing! Why he does this, I don't know! But it's the funniest thing! He also takes baths in the sink about three times a week and, when he is done, I put a clean kitchen towel on the countertop and he proceeds to 'surf' and rub his entire face, chest, belly and sides as if he was trying to dry himself - which is a good thing because he has pinnies on his cheeks which he doesn't allow me to touch. AND, he is now stopping his 'nip fit' when I say 'Ouch, no!' so he IS learning to control himself.
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Types of Birds Owned: Toos, grays, zons, canaries, finches, cardinals, senegals, jardine, redbelly, sun conure, button quail, GCC, PFC, lovebirds

Postby Navre » Sat Feb 10, 2018 7:35 am

Caiques seem to be some of the funniest birds. One of the few breeds we have not had come through the rescue in the last 3 years.
Navre
African Grey

Number of Birds Owned: 3
Types of Birds Owned: Turquoise Green Cheek Conure
Timneh African Grey
Hooded Parrot

Postby Pajarita » Sat Feb 10, 2018 10:34 am

Well, going by the VERY scarce number of them that show up in CL and rescues, and the extraordinarily high price they ask for them [almost the same as a grey!] , I am thinking they must be very difficult to breed because they are of a very nice medium size, very pretty and so very quirky and funny that I don't see how the problem could be low demand so it has to be something else...
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Previous

Return to Parrot Tales